Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone recognize this planchet size?

I came across this dime in a collection of dimes that had been set aside for quite awhile until I had time to research. Now that I am retired, figured it was about time. It is a 1983 D Roosevelt Dime on an offsized planchet. The diameter is 16.72mm with a well formed very symetrical rim and no reeding. The weight is only 2.0 gr. The color is off as well, medium grey and has no luster, but is very sharp in its detail.
I have been looking for potential foreign planchets and have not found an exact match; some close, but not matching both.
Any thoughts are welcome.

Best Answers

Answers

• Options

Thanks for the quick response. Here's a picture.

• Options

Normal weight is 2.5 gr and this one is only 2.0. Pretty significant difference (20% less). Then there's the 6.5% difference in size. Here's the back photo.

• Options

Thank you Fred. Sorry for what may be a silly question on your response, I do not recognize the acronym PMD. Can it really loose 20% in a dryer? Are we talking a home clothes dryer? I have put lots of coins through the wash before (much to my wife's delight! Our agreement is she gets to keep anything she finds in the wash) and they have never shrunk because of it.

• Options

Thank you all so much for the valuable information. I was not aware of that mechanism on wearing down the rim. I was having a lot of difficulty understanding how the rim that is there exists with the coin detail inside the rim. It still seems a bit of a miracle that the rim is so uniform.
    One last question, since this is Post Mint Damage, is there any value to this coin? any points for uniqueness?

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look at the design. It was properly struck up before it was damaged. The rims push/fold against the design. It was worn down in dimension after it left the mint.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinSearch55 said:
    One last question, since this is Post Mint Damage, is there any value to this coin? any points for uniqueness?

Unfortunately not. But please stick around the forums. It’s a great place to learn and share.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just think the degree that the "3" in 1983 is buried in the rim is to an unusual degree.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep the coin as an example of the 'problem'...PMD comes in many forms and this type is more common than most people think...Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file