Home Autographs Forum
Options

What you got for autograph collecting theme?

My collection theme is autographed baseballs by athletes from all sports. It has to be a single signature per baseball.
Here is my list:

Baseball: Hank Aaron
Basketball: Michael Jordan
Football: Jim Brown
Hockey: Wayne Gretzky
Boxing: Muhammad Ali
Soccer: Pele
Golf: Jack Nicklaus
Track: Usain Bolt
Swimming: Michael Phelps
MMA: George St. Pierre

I'm pursuing Roger Federer for Tennis but so far he only signs tennis balls.

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about some pics?

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my strategies back when I was a little more active at sending out requests was to get as much from as many people as i could.

Then over the years I could leverage my "archives" to create special items.

A couple examples:

I had some blank cards signed by baseball HOFer Enos Slaughter. Some years after he passed away I learned that there had been a famous controversial play between him and Red Sox player Johnny Pesky. I sent one of the cards to Pesky and he added his signature.

In another case, I had a few blank cards signed by two-time Nobel Prize winner Linus Pauling. Long after he had passed away I learned of an obscure connection between him and Nobel Prize winner James Watson. Watson had mostly stopped signing through the mail, but he made an exception for my card.

• Options

@JBK said:
    How about some pics?

I'm lazy about it but i will eventually post the pictures.

• Options

@JBK said:
    One of my strategies back when I was a little more active at sending out requests was to get as much from as many people as i could.

Then over the years I could leverage my "archives" to create special items.

A couple examples:

I had some blank cards signed by baseball HOFer Enos Slaughter. Some years after he passed away I learned that there had been a famous controversial play between him and Red Sox player Johnny Pesky. I sent one of the cards to Pesky and he added his signature.

In another case, I had a few blank cards signed by two-time Nobel Prize winner Linus Pauling. Long after he had passed away I learned of an obscure connection between him and Nobel Prize winner James Watson. Watson had mostly stopped signing through the mail, but he made an exception for my card.

I like that. Interesting theme/strategy.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoy theming things also and though I only collect autographed AFL cards, I have made a lot of themed collections as well.

As far as single item themes, I guess my 1964 Topps team cards would qualify.

I've got individual signed team cards by all of the AFL team owners in 1964, as well as all of the 1964 head coaches. I have cards signed by some qb/wr combinations, like Babe Parilli/Gino Cappelletti and John Hadl/Lance Alworth. I've got them signed by all of the AFL Hall of Famers in the league in 1964, and other combinations I've forgotten.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

@AFLfan said:
    I enjoy theming things also and though I only collect autographed AFL cards, I have made a lot of themed collections as well.

As far as single item themes, I guess my 1964 Topps team cards would qualify.

I've got individual signed team cards by all of the AFL team owners in 1964, as well as all of the 1964 head coaches. I have cards signed by some qb/wr combinations, like Babe Parilli/Gino Cappelletti and John Hadl/Lance Alworth. I've got them signed by all of the AFL Hall of Famers in the league in 1964, and other combinations I've forgotten.

AFL Cards nice. I have a Heisman winner autographed cards theme going on too. However, I'm getting bored with it. I have about 50 cards so far.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m more of an unsigned player specific card/collectible collector as opposed to signed BUT sometimes the only copies you can find are signed and as such, I’m fortunate to have a few autographed items of the player most central to my broader collecting theme of the New York Yankees. I do like reading these threads so I try to contribute where I can...

Mickey Mantle

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@deciquio said:
    My collection theme is autographed baseballs by athletes from all sports. It has to be a single signature per baseball.
    Here is my list:

added the following

Baseball: Hank Aaron -- Willie Mays, Rickey Henderson, Joe Dimaggio, Pete Rose, Nolan Ryan
    Basketball: Michael Jordan -- Rick Barry, Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell
    Football: Jim Brown -- Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith, Otto Graham
    Hockey: Wayne Gretzky
    Boxing: Muhammad Ali -- Sugar Ray Robinson
    Soccer: Pele
    Golf: Jack Nicklaus
    Track: Usain Bolt -- Carl Lewis, Florence Griffith Joyner, Jackie Joyner Kersee, Michael Johnson
    Swimming: Michael Phelps
    MMA: George St. Pierre -- Khabib Nurmagomedov, Royce Gracie, Charles Oliveiras

Tennis: Serena Williams, Don Budge, Billie Jean King
    Gymnastics: Simone Biles

I'm pursuing Roger Federer for Tennis but so far he only signs tennis balls.