Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The USPS is going bonkers...(rant)

2»

Comments

• Options
    Rob41281Rob41281 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just had the package from the eBay sale I spoke about above get delivered today.
    2 day priority shipped on the 13th. Went from the 17th-29th with "In transit to next facility" as the only update.
    Finally this morning changed to arrived at regional facility, then local PO, then out for delivery and just heard from the buyer it has finally arrived.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our daughter received a package yesterday that took 25 days to go 230 miles.

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

I currently have two parcels I sent out "in transit" with no tracking movement for over a week. Both priority mail. This is the most trouble I've ever had.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2020 11:41AM

I've been lucky I guess. I live in a small PA town and never had a problem with the USPS. I was talking with my carrier yesterday and she said it was worse than Christmas what will all the packages they had coming in. Stay at home you spend at home I guess. We've got a whole country on mail order now.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yesterday I had a "refused" parcel come back from NJ, no tracking coming back. I was told it would take 2-3 weeks, came back in two days.

Usps funding is going to be a problem according to reports. How do they pay all their bills with all the expenses. They could deny first class shipping for any 3D parcel but that would tick off a lot of people. Priority is a money maker for them in most cases I think.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm getting to be somewhat inclined to think a lot of the problems have to do with certain locations/employees.
    While I haven't had any real issues in either sending / receiving, as i have watched tracking online, I have seen that the end locations can be problematic...to the point of a couple of days of stagnancy.

And, having talked to a relative in Vegas, sending to Washington State, 2 separate envelopes/packages, sent priority, have not shown up (2 different addresses but same city) after almost 2 weeks....one is a cashier's check, so he is a bit worried about the recipient getting it in a timely manner.

So, either the Vegas post office that accepted his items, or the receiving one are likely problematic. Using this virus scare as an excuse for that long isn't the right thing to do.

Like I said before....my local post office has good folks and is pretty timely on getting things processed and out. I guess I'm lucky right now.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Times are strange! Some of my shipments are lightning fast...2 day 1st class to Ca. form Ga! Some are always late....very late....NY certainly has issues.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try making sense of this! It’s like Groundhog Day

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a CAC order sit in the Jamaica, New York post office for 12 days. I figured they had way more important things to worry about and were just trying to survive. I eventually contacted my local post office. They were very helpful with daily contact until the package eventually arrived. They then suggested I open at the post office in case there was a problem.

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had about 30 eBay items a week returned for no reason, other then they didn't want to deliver it. Also had had to open a disputes with the USPS with them back charging my postage after delivery. Some how my two ounce bubble mailers ended up weighing nearly 15 pounds on arrival. So they back charged me $45 each.

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2020 9:28PM

@GRANDAM said:
    How is the USPS and FedEx,,,,, UPS & DHL in general handling packages from overseas shippers from highly virus infected countries such as China,,,,,,, I ordered something and didn't realize the seller is in China/Hong Kong/Taiwan,,,, are they handling these package?

Yes and as early as Feb they were giving package handlers BS for wearing PPE handling internationals (across all carriers).

A lot of us walked out on leaves of absences until they 1. Provide osha regulated PPE and 2. Wear OSHA approved PPE at all times for all employees. Haven't been back since I got sick with covid in Jan. It literally feels different in your body because of how it attacks your blood vessels and that "feeling" becomes terrifying when symptoms roll over you in waves and it waxes and wanes. It is maddening, and it hurts, it hurts more that it's happening than a stabbing. You feel better and you're ready to get back to it, and 12-24h later the nausea and congestion and fever kick back in, and it'll do that to you a few times until you're better. It's been months and I still hurt and breathe in different ways than I ever did before and it's terrifying. Not like I can go get a CT or have them even do anything about it, at all.

The PNW has a significant portion of anti-vaxxers and people who have made this pandemic a political/cultural thing. In 8 days we are gonna see who made the smart decisions and who made the bad ones.

The last of my 90 day supplies come Friday night and I'm preparing for much worse than the first round. People are now desperate, angry, and aware cops won't come unless it's a really big deal. A lot of people have no resources left and all the public support resources are all gone. We are on month 2 of being affected and have long since been running on fumes.

I'd keep an eye on the Western States Pact in the next year or two. Not saying we can/should/would secede, but we would totally be fine on our own. See how far the fed pushes our oligarchs. Governors, our governors.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had a coin coming from Florida to Ohio " guaranteed delivery " April 21st. Mailed on the 14th. O.K. It shows out for delivery today.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

They're good 98% of the time. Your 2 Cents is tops, all of the time.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a package coming from Texas and the shippers says that they are on lockdown and not releasing anything for shipment.Unfortunately his tracking # is 2 digits short.

Anyone know if one has recourse direct through Venmo?

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    Yesterday I had a "refused" parcel come back from NJ, no tracking coming back. I was told it would take 2-3 weeks, came back in two days.

Usps funding is going to be a problem according to reports. How do they pay all their bills with all the expenses. They could deny first class shipping for any 3D parcel but that would tick off a lot of people. Priority is a money maker for them in most cases I think.

Don't be surprised to see a sharp increase in first class letter rates in the near future. Also, it would make sense for them to drop the "Forever" stamps and go back to denominated first class rate stamps if a sharp increase in the first class rate is likely. (I just stocked up on "Forever" stamps.)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:
    I have a package coming from Texas and the shippers says that they are on lockdown and not releasing anything for shipment.Unfortunately his tracking # is 2 digits short.

Anyone know if one has recourse direct through Venmo?

I had an eBay package coming from Texas via priority flat rate box. It was 2 days late. Dude did a crap job packing, but the box arrived smashed and with a big enough hole I'm surprised one didn't fall out. I would have opened up in front of the mail carrier, but Hubs took it. Seller is sending me a replacement.

I would not have though this possible.

Please excuse the dog fur. Someone has been 'helping' with my exercise.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

@No Headlights said:
    I had a CAC order sit in the Jamaica, New York post office for 12 days. I figured they had way more important things to worry about and were just trying to survive. I eventually contacted my local post office. They were very helpful with daily contact until the package eventually arrived. They then suggested I open at the post office in case there was a problem.

My CAC return packages regularly get stuck in Jamacia, NY for a few days as well (located in New England). I've never been delayed 12 days before though...

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2020 10:10PM

@ShadyDave said:

@No Headlights said:

My CAC return packages regularly get stuck in Jamacia, NY for a few days as well (located in New England). I've never been delayed 12 days before though...

The Jamaica NY location I believe is the JFK Airport facility. Mine get hung up there as well. I guess that's where they hang around waiting for a flight.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2020 11:23PM

@Tom147 said:
    Had a coin coming from Florida to Ohio " guaranteed delivery " April 21st. Mailed on the 14th. O.K. It shows out for delivery today.

USPS, UPS, and FedEx have numbers higher than the worst days of peak season. That's 8 weeks long.

So basically these guys got off 8 weeks of hell, had a little downtime, and have now been doing a harder and heavier peak for regular pay, every day, for 90 days. Very few package handlers are even showing up for work. There are temp/seasonal carriers. I wouldn't be surprised if UPS enacted the sleeper teams or called in corporate. I'm sure they have.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two separate coin deliveries scheduled to arrive today. A check of USPS tracking shows that both are intransit, arriving late.

One package has been transiting from the last facility since April 28, the other since April 29.

Late deliveries as of late, have been the norm for me.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone had any recent issues with the Anaheim CA distribution center?
    Thay accepted my coin from GC last Monday and no recorded movement since.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had to find a thread to vent this. Just got back from the usps mailing a small pkg. teller says they can’t accept the 5 dollar coins I paid with since they can’t turn them in. They’re a “manual” office she says. Have to use a card.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got a guy that routinely buys off ebay from me about an hour and half away. Package went to greensboro(which is where it would distribute from for his address, on to west end (which is the opposite direction, back to greensboro, back to west end, back to greensboro, back to west end, back to greensboro, and finally arrived at his destination post office after three weeks.

got another one, that is a local ebay buyer who literally lives 10 min from me, but he works and cant never come by the shop. His package, went out to the outer banks and sat around for a week, now on its way back to the origin post office where I mailed it from, and hopefully back to him . good week on that one.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

if the early News reporting is accurate, things will get worse before they get better. I saw a report last night which says that 600+ high volume sorting machines are going to be removed across the Country. the machines in question sort 35k pieces of mail per hour with a 99% effective rate.

while we discuss coins here, the mail system is responsible for much more than that. as a Veteran I get my two prescriptions from the VA through the USPS. that sort of thing is pretty important. o:)

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    if the early News reporting is accurate, things will get worse before they get better. I saw a report last night which says that 600+ high volume sorting machines are going to be removed across the Country. the machines in question sort 35k pieces of mail per hour with a 99% effective rate.

while we discuss coins here, the mail system is responsible for much more than that. as a Veteran I get my two prescriptions from the VA through the USPS. that sort of thing is pretty important. o:)

It's all political. 😮

Ken
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Relax, service should return to normal in early November.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭✭

I will not buy or sell anything online that has to ship through the USPS right now. If I can't find it in the stores I do not need it that bad. I have some silver 07 and 08 W silver eagles in their boxes I am going to take to my local brick & morter store rather than sell them online as it is just not worth the hassle of them getting lost in the mail.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

@ShadyDave said:

@No Headlights said:

The Jamaica NY location I believe is the JFK Airport facility. Mine get hung up there as well. I guess that's where they hang around waiting for a flight.

This is correct. The Jamaica NY Regional Facility is the staging area for JFK airport. The package is queued up to be loaded onto a flight going to near the destination. With the dearth of flights now, sometimes the queue builds up and parcels sit.

In my case, NY to Tampa (NGC) seems to be pretty frequent. But NY to SoCal (PCGS) seems to be slower.

• Options

I think a lot of mailing companies are struggling right now due to increased volume and probably not the infrastructure to handle that kind of increase

That said USPS also is having budgeting/leadership changes from what I've heard so probably adds to it

• Options

@keets said:

I'd be in touch with a local pharmacy to make sure I wouldn't run out.

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

@gradeacoinsebay said:
    I think a lot of mailing companies are struggling right now due to increased volume and probably not the infrastructure to handle that kind of increase

That said USPS also is having budgeting/leadership changes from what I've heard so probably adds to it

Pretty much everything I've sent out and received in the last few weeks has been delivered as normal except for 2 deliveries which were a few days late.

I smell a bootlicker setting up election interference.

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here in "flyover country", Midwest, my latest observation is that most of my incoming and outgoing mail is slowed down considerably going East of the Mississippi. Headed West is not a problem.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bonkers has always been synonymous with "postal". The new norm.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

A letter sent from me in Las Vegas, to Braddick in S. California (about 300 miles) just got delivered after wandering around for about 10 days. I could have walked it there quicker.
    Another post from me to GC in S. California made it just fine with no delay. However, they forgot to let me know that it arrived and I did hear from GC that it got there okay.
    Problems with COVID for sure. Cannot depend on posts arriving like they used to. USPS says that all mail has been affected with the exception of Priority (like I believe that).

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shipped a half dozen or more USPS packages the past several months without issue. Some going cross country and others within 500 miles. UPS doing just as well with over a dozen packages. Batting 100% with both. On time, no damage, no losses. I'm pleased. Not coins mind you, but cymbals and drums in 14" to 24" boxes.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

With all their free time they are getting my registered delivered quicker.

• Options

I had a priority a week late, finally arrived at customer's, had opened a case. Expresses are late now usually; first class seems faster than priority.

• Options
    Landon6Landon6 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭

:'(

• Options
    ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some books via Media Mail are 6 weeks out and not arrived. Traveled 2000 miles in two days and have been sitting 500 miles away ever since in Philadelphia, PA.

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • Options
    edited September 27, 2020 8:23AM

I had a $5500 value submission dropped off at the door yesterday by usps signature required and I was well over an hour away! Also the second tier service did not get a scan from the usps person; So I had to drive back just in case. I am having problems with a number of these services, ignoring signature requirements, packages delivered with a "thud" at the door, another service saying they had no access when it is plain as day. No repercussions for not following the rules.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paid the 11th, still waiting. There's really not much else you can do but wait.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options

Paid July 30th and still waiting. August 11th was the last package scan. EBay seller refunded me but I feel bad for him— it’s not his fault.

• Options

Again, I live in a small rural town and I feel sorry for my carrier. They've got her delivering for everyone under the sun. She has had to deliver everything from microwaves to mattresses. The entire mail system, USPS, FedEx, etc. is out of control and overloaded. As long as shopping on line continues at this pace it's going to be crazy.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

@leothelyon said:
    Paid the 11th, still waiting. There's really not much else you can do but wait.

Good gosh, just received a notice, it's out for delivery! They must be members here and read my post! lol

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    I'm 8 days into waiting to receive a registered package. I know that's typical but Priority can be insured for the same amount and be there in 2-3 days. I prefer my packages be out the hands of the USPS as fast as possible.

@ms70

This topic has been covered in several recent posts. So, you probably already know this. But, just in case ....

The USPS:
    ~ distinguishes between "bullion" and coins of "numismatic value".
    ~ has different indemnity limits for 'Priority Mail' and 'Registered Mail', depending upon package contents (i.e., "bullion" vs. coins of "numismatic value").

With 'Priority Mail', the maximum indemnity for "bullion" is $15.00. This is not the case with 'Registered Mail'. So, shipping "bullion" worth over $15.00 via 'Priority Mail' is a risk.

Recent Forum Post Involving Issue:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1039728/um-excuse-me-update-in-original-post

USPS Policy Excerpt:
    "Except for Registered Mail, the maximum indemnity for negotiable items (defined as instruments that can be converted to cash without resort to forgery), currency, or bullion, is $15.00."
    Source: USPS / Domestic Mail Manual / Section 609: Filing Indemnity Claims for Loss or Damage / Subsection 4.1.m
    External Link: https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/609.htm

• Options

Rural Pennsylvania here again. I really feel sorry for my USPS Carrier. If FedEx, UPS, et al get overloaded the over load is now being passed to our little Post Office. As I said, she has to deliver microwaves, mattresses any item the private companies can no longer handle.

• Options

@ms70 said:
    I'm 8 days into waiting to receive a registered package. I know that's typical but Priority can be insured for the same amount and be there in 2-3 days. I prefer my packages be out the hands of the USPS as fast as possible.

at about $800 insured value, registered insurance starts becoming cheaper than priority insurance. after that the higher the insured value the greater the insurance savings by using registered.

And as pointed out earlier, if it's bullion you will only be reimbursed $15 on a priority claim regardless of how much you insure it for.

When clerks don't know the packaging rules ask for their supervisor. If that doesn't solve the problem ask them to show you in the Domestic Mail Manual.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file