Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Guess the Grade 1889-O THE EXCITEMENT IS OVER ! Revealed

SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 23, 2020 11:37AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. A little weak above the ear, but it is an O mint coin. Overall pretty nice.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

another date from those images by 2018-2021 standards, ms66+

unless something i'm missing, i'll go ms65

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. nice clash
  • Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

MS64+/MS65

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. W/o looking at the reverse 67.
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would guess MS65 ... marks on cheek and forehead...mark on eagles breast, wing and under wing. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BGERRISHBGERRISH Posts: 74 ✭✭✭

I am thinking MS64

• Options
    al410al410 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭✭

64-maybe 65, really nice looking Morgan

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

64+

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options

You guys are tough and very sharp graders. Thank you for playing.

• Options

a shield holder, 3 prong and blue fade. if you made that one, gratz!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

I like it.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well... I missed the +, but got the grade....Cheers, RickO

• Options

The excitement is hardly over that coin is awesome. Somebody's heart must have sank the first time they flipped it over and saw a 45,000 scratch. Still a great catch!

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:
    The excitement is hardly over that coin is awesome. Somebody's heart must have sank the first time they flipped it over and saw a 45,000 scratch. Still a great catch!

Where is the location of the scratch you are referring to?

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options

@WinLoseWin said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

The big set of deep scratches that your eyes immediately focus on. Just left of the lower left wing.

• Options

Maybe it only goes 66 or plus w/o. ?

• Options

OK. I was wondering if you were referring to a singular scratch.

I see the same area you are talking about along with a possible patch of marks next to it on the wing and a couple marks on the breast feathers. Also some marks near Liberty's mouth. Hard to tell how significant those are without seeing in-person. Taken together looks to be what prevented an even higher grade.

• Options
    edited September 23, 2020 10:18AM

Very true, the photo may be enhancing the light/damage too. Sorry, not a single scratch but probably from a single ride in a wagon or a U-Haul.

• Options

Don't get me wrong, I love the coin. Just trying to understand the hows and whys.

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:

@WinLoseWin said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

The big set of deep scratches that your eyes immediately focus on. Just left of the lower left wing.

Yes, it's what holds it back, under the eagle's wing. The cheek you have to twirl >angle< the coin to see it.
    You have a good eye WinLoseWin. I didn't see myself drawn to that mark immediately, but it's there.

Which tells me PCGS is the premier grading service.

There's a new video system for seeing coins "David Lawrence" has it on some of his coins. Probably that will make it all easier for us to see coins.

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:

mine went to the gouge in the front part of the hair above the forehead. i also persued/perused all the ms65 and better coinfacts image, there are many surprisingly and nearly all of them had one series dig/ding/bang or another. they were NOT polite to those n'orleans dollars.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

mine went to the gouge in the front part of the hair above the forehead. i also persued/perused all the ms65 and better coinfacts image, there are many surprisingly and nearly all of them had one series dig/ding/bang or another. they were NOT polite to those n'orleans dollars.

Somehow I completely missed that. It was not very visible in the original photos, but still did not notice it in the full slab photo until you mentioned it. Hidden enough to not bring the grade down, but part of what keeps it from being higher.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

And I didn’t even see that till you mentioned it, I was focusing on the second image. This coin is listed in the auction results / Congrats to Soldi

• Options
    edited September 27, 2020 5:55AM
      Soldi's photography is Seven hundred and eighty percent larger than the coin in hand. The area upon the cheek 

and temple is hardly noticeable. Worthy of a higher grade. The reverse viewers left wing has a very small staple scratch cluster and cluster is an exaggeration, but there is NO GOUGE. You're seeing a photo Seven hundred and eighty percent larger than the coin in hand aka 780 % . You have an opinion "never back off and patronize those who disagree.

Remember whether you're talented or not you're on the PCGS boards and that says a lot about who you are. The Best.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file