Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is it time for CU to add a Token & Medal Forum?

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

There seems to be a lot of interest in them.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

leave things as they are the forum works well as it is

• LOCK34LOCK34 Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

Moderator can move all of my posts relating to tokens and medals to Q&A if preferred and I can begin posting there If that is preferred.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

No! While I don't collect medals + tokens, I enjoy the posts and history about them posted here. I probably wouldn't look if they were in their own separate category.

• nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    There seems to be a lot of interest in them.

I'd certainly read and partake in a such a forum. I would like to see it encompass both U.S. and world medals and tokens.

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't specifically visit that section of the board, but I do like seeing them posted.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. The coin forum is already boring enough as it is. The tokens and medals add a lot to the coin forum.

Do you really want to be reading about Morgan Dollars and pocket change "errors" all day?

All glory is fleeting.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2020 1:06PM

To expound on my YES......if there was such a forum I think the other forums would benefit from a lot of fresh blood. I think that a fresh token forum would be good for all.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just because we get a few new collectors that make several threads a day is not reason enough to erase it from the forum.
    Tokens and medals add depth and interest to the forum, so, no

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Splitting up a forum is a great way to hasten its demise.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

No I think it should be left alone. It's been thin here as it is

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

A similar argument can be made for creating a separate Error Coins forum.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• CWT1863CWT1863 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭✭

No. Posts would get very little attention compared to the U.S. forum. As they say, If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

ANA-LM, CWTS-LM, NBS, TAMS, ANS

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2020 6:53PM

This thread is in need of a nice medal.
    In fact here are 2 medals.
    Both Vatican Papal medals are of Pope Gregory XIII 1575. The first an original in copper and the
    second an 18th century restrike in bronze. Both reverses depict the opening of the Holy Door
    which occurs once every 25 years.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2020 7:05PM

Going the other way, given the world coins and medals I’ve seen here, I’ve actually been wondering if US and World coins should be combined! :o

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ask Mark. He wears the pants. Let him decide.
    I do support a “Limited Mintage Product de US Mint” forum, though.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
    edited September 21, 2020 7:18PM

I actually like using tags a lot, however, I don’t see them used a lot.

What do people think of tags here?

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2020 2:41AM

Absolutely not for the reasons @Sonorandesertrat and @TomB said

• jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2020 6:36AM

We had a similar situation several years ago. People were complaining about all the discussions about precious metals in the US Coin Forum so it was decided by the PCGS leadership to create a separate Precious Metals Forum. It worked out well and the Precious Metals Forum has seen a lot of use.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Splitting off precious metal discussions makes sense, because these overwhelmingly focus on spot price, wet dreams, etc. Issues pertaining to tokens and medals are quite similar to ones that are relevant to coins.
    These are different animals.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    Splitting off precious metal discussions makes sense, because these overwhelmingly focus on spot price, wet dreams, etc. Issues pertaining to tokens and medals are quite similar to ones that are relevant to coins.
    These are different animals.

One could argue that many US coins are made of precious metals and many US coins have their value tied directly to their bullion value. On the other hand, tokens and metals are not US coins anymore than world coins are US coins and we have a separate forum for world coins.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2020 7:42AM

PerryHall,
    That is certainly true for generic U. S. gold coins in grades through MS66. Spot price will not affect pre-WWI silver coins, or even many pre-WWII silver coins, unless they are generics. People who post here are not overwhelmingly preoccupied with pricing or price speculation, unlike what I have seen on the Precious Metals posts.

Tokens and medals are certainly not U. S. coins, but my point---see a prior comment of mine---about important interrelationships still stands, and this is why tokens and medals should not be split off from the U. S. Coins section.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]

@TomB said:
    If you want to be certain that 90% of the people who see the topics now won't see them in the future, then yes.

I agree there will be less traffic. For example, I like and and have World Coins but rarely visit the forum. I think others are the same because I see a number of world coins and medals posted in US Coin forum.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to see tokens and medals continue to be a part of this forum. There are very attractive medals and certainly some interesting tokens.... Also history is attached to both types....I think posts showing tokens and medals is good information and adds to the health of discussions and posts. Cheers, RickO

• DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2020 9:07PM

Keep it the way it is and use tags to distinguish between the different US areas of interest. The cross-pollination of the US areas of interest keeps the US Coin forum lively.

I'm a US Mint medal enthusiast and here is an attempt to cross-pollinate US coin collectors.

There is novel idea buried in US Mint documents to differentiate between its manufactured products.

Be cognizant that pattern, die trial, and experimental coins or medals are not normally legally issued, but are specifically used by the US Mint to improve and perfect the execution of its primary mission to manufacture coins and medals for the U.S. Government.

With that said, here are two data sets (1962 and 1990) used to flush out the "US Mint's manufacturing triad" using a repeatable research method called cluster analysis.

Hence, the "Manufacturing Triad of the US Mint" can be readily seen.

The following diagram depicts the means to authorize the US Mint to manufacture.

This is where the fun begins. Special Medals for US Government Agencies do not require an enacted federal law (for the medals themselves) to authorize the US Mint to manufacture. Another authorization method is used. What is this authorization method? (part of my research area of interest)

On the reverse of the Kennedy half-dollar, Frank Gasparro placed his FG initials under the right leg of the eagle. Take note of this in the following examples.

Special Government Medal Example: Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) honor award.

Frank Gasparro initials on the obverse and reverse.

Special Government Medal Example: President Kennedy Appreciation medal.

F. Gasparro name on the obverse and initials on the reverse.

Special Government Medal Example: Department of Commerce honor award.

Frank Gasparro initials on the obverse and reverse.

Special Government Medal Example: Size and metal difference of Department of Commerce honor awards.

Lastly, a combination of Special Government Medal and National Medals with Frank Gasparro's dual torch design. I call this the 1961-1962-1963 Trifecta Torch Run Design of Frank Gasparro. Yep, dual torch design used in three consecutive years.

From Left to Right: 1960 Eisenhower Appreciation medal (Special Government Medal), 1961 Kennedy inauguration medal (National Medal), and 1962 Douglas MacArthur Congressional Gold Medal (bronze) (National Medal).

I hope that this entry brings new interest to US Mint medals. The information presented was shared among multiple forums on different websites.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file