Home Metal Detecting

Coinstar find

@ricko
Hi, ricko, This is actually the metaldetectinghound that I used to post under. Somehow, my account got corrupted and I have been unable to sign in for almost a month. I called Collectors universe and they said I would be on hold for 30 minutes. so, I just created a new account with another email address I have with the name of metaldetectinghound2. My wife hit the Coinstar two days ago and found $1.62 plus an almost uncirculated India 5 Rupees coin.

I had a CT scan two weeks ago and my doctors told me my lung cancer is doing great and the tumor is about 80% reduced to scar tissue. I am very relieved about the report. I will have a follow-up CT scan in April for another check. Ken

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Ken,
    Great news about the lungs... Very happy to hear this...and Welcome back as 'number 2'....Great coinstar find...Hope your health continues to improve... Cheers, RickO

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

@metaldetectinghound2 welcome back and good news or your health. The wacky winter weather fluctuations have me vasilating between detecting and getting ready to plant something early. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2020 9:24AM

Not coin star but my CU coin machine, like I said before......each week when I cash my check I always bring a handful of change to cash in........that alleviates the awkwardness of just checking the machine in front of the tellers. :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Wow... quite a variety....looks like all foreign, plus a button and a washer. I found one quarter, a dime and a cent in the coinstar... all modern...Cheers, RickO

edited February 12, 2020 12:11PM

@ricko said:
    Wow... quite a variety....looks like all foreign, plus a button and a washer. I found one quarter, a dime and a cent in the coinstar... all modern...Cheers, RickO

There's a 1943 Lincoln and a 1991 one pound coin that is very thick with edge lettering.
    And the 'button' is actually a magnet :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Oh yeah.... did not see the '43 before....was it stuck to the magnet?? Cheers, RickO

edited February 13, 2020 6:11AM

Yes @ricko half of these were magnetic like the
    1998 Hong Kong 50 cents
    1997 Brasil 10 Centavos
    3 Canadian Quarters
    1 Canadian Nickel
    1943 P Lincoln

• DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭

Best CoinStar haul ever.

61 Half dollars. 15 Walkers, 3 Franklins, 6 90% Silver Kennedys, 33 40% Kennedys, 4 clad Kennedys.
    A 40% silver Bicentenial quarter
    8 Silver dimes. 5 Mercs, 2 Roseys,1 Canadian
    Plus $5.55 in clad.

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dockwalliper said:
    Best CoinStar haul ever.

61 Half dollars. 15 Walkers, 3 Franklins, 6 90% Silver Kennedys, 33 40% Kennedys, 4 clad Kennedys.
    Plus $5.55 in clad.

Whoa. Someone cashed in their parents' coin collection...

1955 Elizabeth II Ten Cent - Dime Specifications
    Mintage: 12,237,294
    Content: 80% Silver, 20% Copper
    Weight: 2.33 Grams
    Diameter: 18.03 mm

• WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

@Dockwalliper said:
    Best CoinStar haul ever.

Plus $5.55 in clad.

Holy cow! :o Was that all piled up in the return slot?? I've noticed the CoinStar at the grocery store closest to me has theirs way over to the far edge of the front, near the furthest register. It's very out of the way so I don't get to check it too often. I think I've found maybe a few coins in there, all just modern cents, nickels, and dimes. Haven't had a nice CoinStar score in a long time.

@Dockwalliper :o Unbelievable.... That is incredible....I have never, in all the years reading coinstar finds, heard of such a treasure in the reject slot.... Congratulations.... Cheers, RickO

• Were those found over time in Coin star machines? I never thought to check coin star machines. Do non-clad coins fall through because of sensors?

@Newbiedoobiedoo said:
    Were those found over time in Coin star machines? I never thought to check coin star machines. Do non-clad coins fall through because of sensors?

This was all found at one time. Because the weight is different from modern coins older coins are rejected.

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well that is going to beat my metal detecting silver for the rest of my life. Bet your heart was pumping pulling all of that out of the reject tray. Was any laying on the floor?

@pocketpiececommems said:
    Well that is going to beat my metal detecting silver for the rest of my life. Bet your heart was pumping pulling all of that out of the reject tray. Was any laying on the floor?

Actually I sent my wife over to check the return bin. I was 30 feet away watching her pull handful after handful out of the bin. I couldn't believe it when she showed me what she had.
    I don't think there was any on the floor.

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dockwalliper at least your wife let you keep them. My wife would keep them for herself and torment and tease me. She actually did that to me about 2 years ago when I was overseas - she found a small handful of keepers that had a wheat cent, a silver dime and some foreign - and she kept them.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

@SaorAlba.... :D Hopefully she kept them for HER collection, and not just to torment you.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Three days ago, my wife found 96 cents in the Coinstar. Three clad quarters, Two clad Rosies, and one zincoln cent. Her all-time amount is $22.69 cents found to date in the Coinstar machine. She has me spoiled too. She always gives what she finds to me. I knew i married a smart lady.

Yesterday, I found a dime in the coinstar....new one, not silver. Pickings have been slim lately....Cheers, RickO

Yesterday was literally the first time I have physically been in a grocery store in over 45 days due to the Covid thing. Of course had the mask, hand sanitizer etc.

Couldn't resist a pass by the coin machine and to my great surprise, someone left a goody as a reward for me coming out from unner da kippers an' goin' shoppin':

At least my first find af'er goin' back ta market was anti-bacterial silver.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

Nice... a bit of silver to add to the pile....Glad to see you got out for a bit of fresh air...Cheers, RickO

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's nice!
    My coinstar hunts turned cold.

No luck the last couple of days...but was running hot there for a while... just no silver. Cheers, RickO

Todays contribution to my get rich soon fund.

@SaorAlba said:

Todays contribution to my get rich soon fund.

Put them towards a Pine Tree

• Klif50Klif50 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭✭

@Dockwalliper said:
    Best CoinStar haul ever.

Plus $5.55 in clad.

We definitely need a WOW button!!!
    Heck of a haul.

@Klif50 said:

We definitely need a WOW button!!!
    Heck of a haul.

In the old days I would have earned a few “you suck” comments.

@Dockwalliper.... If I found a haul like that, I think I would retire from coinstar checking...Unbelievable amount of silver. I have had major hauls in terms of quantity, but never anything like you found...both quantity and quality. You deserve multiple 'you suck' comments. Cheers, RickO

• Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today at the Safeway coinstar found 6 silver dimes, 48, 59, 62 (x2), 63 & 64 plus 1 1964 quarter. For the month it's a total of nine dimes and an earlier one was a 1944 Mercury. Great month to date....

• @Joe_360
    I find it exciting to anxiously approach the Coinstar machines hoping there is something in the return opening. Almost like when we were kids and found something of value. With my health conditions, I haven't been by a Coinstar machine in about four months. My wife has had a cold spell for some time too. Better days ahead.

@Joe_360.... Wow...Really great silver haul.... I have never found that many silver coins in one haul. Cheers, RickO

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went out today for the first time in weeks. The slot was empty.

• Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @Joe_360.... Wow...Really great silver haul.... I have never found that many silver coins in one haul. Cheers, RickO

@ Rick, Thanks, I have to believe that some kid took grandma or grandpa's coin jar to leave that much silver in the return...

No sliver but a nice variety in this haul.

• DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

Grabbed a handful from a coin star the other day. All were tokens from some charity event. ..a big handful, with more in there....I put them back and walked away...lol

Coinstar has been bare the last couple of weeks.... not even a slug....Cheers, RickO

• Today the reject slot was empty but 2 dimes and a penny were neatly stacked on the counter.

One of the dimes was a 1962 Rosie. Win!

Excellent transaction with: ffcoins, Proofmorgan, fivecents, MorganMan94

Checked two machines yesterday....both empty..... did not see anyone using them for the last week in my trips to the market. Cheers, RickO

Well... yesterday was jackpot!! Two dollar coins (Prezzie and Sac), 12 quarters, ten dimes and six cents (two wheaties 1912, 1944) and one foreign coin. No silver. But still...after a long drought, very nice. Cheers, RickO

• @ricko
    Very nice find indeed. Congrats. Patience is almost always hard to apply. Looks like your patience paid off after not finding anything in two machines before this find. Ken

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way to go RickO Jackpot indeed.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2020 1:14PM

Found this today!

1953d

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

@JoeyCoins ..... Great!! Silver in the Coinstar....Good find for sure... Cheers, RickO

Well... good day yesterday... Three quarters, four dimes, two nickels, five cents... No silver or wheaties though.... Cheers, RickO

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing here.

Nice finds!

Well.. Yesterday I got two wheat cents out of the coinstar reject bin... 1930 and 1937.... AU condition... Cheers, RickO