Home U.S. Coin Forum

1885 CC submitted it or not?

JmisJmis Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

Picked up a 1885 CC GSA for $600. Opinions on weather I should have it graded or leave it as is? Also thoughts on what it would grade?

Thank you
Jeremy

Comments

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of face chatter. My best guess would be 61, so I would leave it as is in the GSA holder. JMO...

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the pickup! I would estimate a 62 for this coin with the pics provided.

I personally like to have coins that cost $250+ graded, that is just a personal preference of mine. It's easier to sell a coin when it is graded and authenticated, so I normally get that out of the way at the beginning. If you do have it graded, I believe NGC is the preferred GSA authentication service as GSA collectors prefer the NGC ribbon over PCGS slab.

• JmisJmis Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

The chatter on the face was my concern also. I still feel I got a good deal on the 1885 and 1884 CC’s for $810 for the pair. With boxes and paper.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin looks no worse than 62 to me. However, I don't know that having it graded (in the holder) would make an appreciable difference in value.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

These coins tend to command better sales when left in the GSA holders with papers. The NGC grading tape is sometimes viewed positively as well.... Cheers, RickO

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin. I can see it MS 63 but I can enjoy it more in an album or type set. It's safe, as is.

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep it in the GSA holder. It keeps its historical value that way!

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SurfinxHI said:
    Keep it in the GSA holder. It keeps its historical value that way!

I agree. Leave it alone

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want it graded send it to NGC, they will grade it and leave it in the GSA holder. My guess is MS63.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only if you want it in plastic/PCGS or NGC. Grading adds no value in my opinion. Looks 63 or so to me.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2020 10:50AM

Agree with coinbuf. NGC does a super grading job on GSA and they fit right back in the Govt box. Had all mine done by NGC.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,457 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that doubling on the date, or am I seeing things? Better grades and vams, pls, dpls are all worth grading. I was talking to one of the former big gsa advertisers who was able to get a key date to go gem, very tough to get. Not enough value added on gsas unless you can send them in economy.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the 63 camp and not worth grading.

• Klif50Klif50 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

NGC 62, worth while to grade and easier to sell with the ribbon on the plastic.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see a large enough spread to send out to NGC

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

@logger7 said:
    Is that doubling on the date, or am I seeing things? Better grades and vams, pls, dpls are all worth grading. I was talking to one of the former big gsa advertisers who was able to get a key date to go gem, very tough to get. Not enough value added on gsas unless you can send them in economy.

I just looked at it again and it appears to have some Vam4 markings. I can't get any better pictures

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jmis said:

@logger7 said:

I just looked at it again and it appears to have some Vam4 markings. I can't get any better pictures

That's one of the first things I look for on an 85-CC. The picture shows something at the bottom of the 2nd 8, but the mint mark looks more like VAM 3, though.

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a 62 to me.
    Not worth having graded IMO.
    I agree with VAM 3.

When in doubt, don't.
  • skier07skier07 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here’s mine that was graded 6 months ago. I was expecting a lower grade.

• alexercaalexerca Posts: 252 ✭✭✭

Keep in gsa holder . Ms 61

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can always have it graded and still leave it in the GSA holder....Both services will do this.

That being said; I'd not do it, as I don't think it would grade higher than 62.

Still a nice pickup.

Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• PacificWRPacificWR Posts: 43 ✭✭

Nice pick. I would have NGC graded it. It will be easier to sell if you ever decide to. VAM-3

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the past , I have had better luck selling 85-cc GSA not certified than one that will 62 or so at best. They seem to sell less in the lower grades

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the others ... There's really no upside in removing from the GSA holder it's currently in. I'd leave it alone...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jmis
    I would have it graded just to see who above got the correct grade :D
    kidding of course, only you can decide to send it in.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

@1630Boston said:
    @Jmis
    I would have it graded just to see who above got the correct grade :D
    kidding of course, only you can decide to send it in.

I’ll take donations for the fees, 😂

• stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 462 ✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:
    I agree with the others ... There's really no upside in removing from the GSA holder it's currently in. I'd leave it alone...

Actually his question was should he have it graded not should he remove from holder. Just sayin

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess I wasn't super clear... I certainly wouldn't remove it from the GSA holder it's currently in just to move it into PCGS or NGC plastic, and I don't see much of an upside to having it graded in the GSA holder either if the grade is going to come back in the MS62 range... and I think there's enough face chatter that it's a distinct probability. The price spread between 62's and 64's isn't huge amounts of money... (~$150 according to price guides)... so, I'd leave it alone.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Thanks for the feedback folks, for now it will be left alone.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file