Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What grade would you give this 1799 Silver dollar?

Do you think the nick in the profile would prevent it from a straight grade? If not what grade would you give it?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1799-Draped-Bust-Silver-Dollar/274427785451?hash=item3fe52bb0eb:g:x2kAAOSwa09fDdYA

Comments

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know the die varieties for dollars, I don't see anything that immediately disqualifies it from grading.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

no grade.

potential body bag if it can't be authenticated. (its probably ok though)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2020 12:15PM

The fabric of the coin appears genuine, however I'd be more concerned with possible smoothing repairs in the giant flat areas on both sides, than the nick at the temple and other marks. Even if natural wear and/or from uneven strike, very unappealing to me personally to be missing that much detail in an otherwise fairly wholesome coin..

I'd probably describe and price it like good details, net fair, and would think that's about where it hammers unless a very rare variety

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's probably genuine, but why would you get involved in it? These coins are often available in VF-20 or better, and the low grade ones are not easy to sell.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmmm, I've found lower grade problem free Bust Dollars much easier to sell than higher graded ones!

@BillJones said:
    It's probably genuine, but why would you get involved in it? These coins are often available in VF-20 or better, and the low grade ones are not easy to sell.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

The way the bidding going ... you might find it's too much for that coin. IMO.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Hmmmm, I've found lower grade problem free Bust Dollars much easier to sell than higher graded ones!

@BillJones said:

I've been out of the business for a while. In the old days, you were lucky to $100 for the dog Bust Dollars.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2020 3:31PM

A nice wholesome good is an easy seller these days in the $7-800 range.

Edit to add...I'm not talking about the dogs! I had the nicest 1796 PCGS G4 I sold last year that didn't last long at quite a bit over greysheet. That's just a coin you don't see often with the look of a nice worn un messed with morgan dollar. It amazes me how much abuse lower grade Bust dollars get from the I can clean this and make it worth more crowd. :/

@BillJones said:

@amwldcoin said:

@BillJones said:

I've been out of the business for a while. In the old days, you were lucky to $100 for the dog Bust Dollars.

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭

I worry about the abnormal looking wear pattern particularly on the reverse above the shield and observe going into the fields near the chin.

If it grades, Fair 2.

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ugly coin with odd wear pattern. PASS!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since you asked.... I would let it go to someone else's collection. So my grade would be not interested.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

The old slice above the eye is pretty expected for this low a grade. No issue with that imo. Others have noted the "unusual" wear pattern that's a FAR bigger issue.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for showing us this coin. I think I'm going to put in a really strong bid. ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not be interested in this particular coin due to wear, the mark and the already rising price. It will be a gamble as to whether or not it will straight grade. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

That mark is insignificant on a well circulated large coin such as this. It should straight grade.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    goldrealmoney79goldrealmoney79 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

I was curious of the grade to more experienced eyes. I figured it was genuine but would net grade. My snipe never went off since bidding was too high.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmmm... item no longer available? Did someone buy it at $535?

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I mentioned die variety because if it was a bust half that looked like that it would be a strike issue from a die variety, idk if that's an issue with dollars.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2020 5:17PM

@lkenefic said:
    Hmmmm... item no longer available? Did someone buy it at $535?

i didn't watch it end but i see a bid retraction of $600. perhaps the seller ended to prevent shenanigans or perhaps just sold to the highest bidder? only 1% bidding activity, so if it was a high-bid sniffer, not sure we can determine it.

it also says relisted at .99 but then ended.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file