Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS Confirms New 1795 Flowing Hair Half Dollar Variety

The coin was struck with a previously unknown obverse die and is now recognized as the new Overton 133 variety. It is the first new major die variety to be discovered on a 1795 Flowing Hair Half Dollar in more than 90 years.

Follow this link for more: https://www.pcgs.com/news/new-1795-flowing-hair-half-dollar-variety

Comments

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very Interesting.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sure is a meaty Obv. for a F15!

• CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

Discovery coin and it's a nice F15. Danggggg

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder what it is worth. I would love to own it if it isn’t bid into the stratosphere.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow indeed!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2020 11:35AM

The reverse on the TrueView is nice too. Looks like a really wholesome F15. Anyone know what the pickup points are for the attribuiton?

• carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:
    I wonder what it is worth. I would love to own it if it isn’t bid into the stratosphere.

For comparison, the O-132 sold for $66,000 in September 2018. I wouldn't be surprised if this brought more.

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice looking coin. I wonder why no die details of the pick up points are provided. If you go to CONECA for other series, they always provide as much information as possible. Is this information going to come forward in a future press release?

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Rayman311Rayman311 Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Wow. Cool find.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just when it's unheard of, it's heard of.

• drddmdrddm Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations to the person who discovered this new die marriage!

Dave

• WDPWDP Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @EditorAMBPR for posting the diagnostics for this new obverse die. Much appreciated!

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome find. There’s still treasure to be found out there!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's quite a nice f 15. Congrats to the owner

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing. Just curious did the submitter already recognize the new die variety or was it picked up by PCGS after submission?

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2020 4:47PM

i bet the overton collectors LOVE this but whisper, great, another one i'll most likely never have. :wink:

those obv diagnostics really make this an easy one to spot imo; especially now we know what to look for!

it would be neat to have a thread to track big new discoveries like this. i recall a few new bust dollar marriages coming to light this past decade and i think it was a half dime at ngc? really early one.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

@johnny9434 , thanks for your kind words, "That's quite a nice f 15. Congrats to the owner."

We appreciate it.

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

• BestGermanBestGerman Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

Looks like a six figure F15 to me

Ron Guth, Chief Investigator
    The Numismatic Detective Agency

• KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

And this gives me hope that someday PCGS will recognize 20c die varieties, that's the only chance that I'll ever own one of those coveted "Discovery Coin" holders.

Or maybe I can rename my registry sets to "the discovery coin collection" and pay for a vanity reholder?

• JimWJimW Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭

I ran to check my unattributed OGH I bought 20 years ago - awwwwww.......

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

@KindaNewish said:
    And this gives me hope that someday PCGS will recognize 20c die varieties, that's the only chance that I'll ever own one of those coveted "Discovery Coin" holders.

why the only chance? being facetious? i have a reason for asking. :wink:

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@drddm said:
    Congratulations to the person who discovered this new die marriage!

Dave

Indeed! :)

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

I'll pass it on. Thanks.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of meat for a 15 coin.

I have a Barber Dime RPD Discovery coin. What's the criteria for getting a coin into a PCGS Discovery Coin holder? How does one go about this? Thanks!

Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

@keyman64 said:
    I have a Barber Dime RPD Discovery coin. What's the criteria for getting a coin into a PCGS Discovery Coin holder? How does one go about this? Thanks!

is it listed by FS?

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@keyman64 said:

is it listed by FS?

No, it would be a new discovery. To avoid hijacking this thread, I posted photos and details in the Barber thread to get input. Thanks.

• GoBustGoBust Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing study by the discoverer because the obvious features of the two obverse dies are so similar at first glance, star through curl on the right and start into the end of the bust on the left. Once you see the reverse die crack (shared by both the 133 and 122), most people don't look further. But this astute collector did!
    Rumors are already circulating of another 133, that wouldn't surprise me if another couple show up given the obvious obverse die simularities that would easily fool someone into thinking it's a 122. But all the bust half mavens and cherry pickers are on the hunt! Do look for the reverse die crack and the tilting T... let's go!

• NSPNSP Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love when finds like these get reported. It’s amazing that this die marriage remained undiscovered for 225 years!

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any bets on how many days before a few show up on Alibaba for sale. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that is really impressive....an entire new variety of a very well scrutinized and studied coin series. Thanks for the pictures and details. Cheers, RickO

• GoBustGoBust Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really brilliant observation!

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's nice!

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have one, don'y have a 122 to confuse it with.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's awesome!

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is amazing

Frank

BHNC #203

• carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1795 O-122 has an interesting history. In the 1881 Haseltine sale there was only a "poor" example of H.32 - "excessively rare; the only one I have seen." It is now considered rarity 5. It seems that the R-7 O-123 (H.29) marriage was struck before a re-marriage of the O-122 pair again. I believe this is the only re-marriage among the Flowing Hair halves.

Lot 412 of the A. C. Gies collection (Stacks, October 1940) lists as "1795 Not in Hazeltines [sic], obverse of H. 29. Reverse H. 32 Uncirculated with mint lustre but toned, nicely centered, so choice discovered by Mr. Gies. Extremely rare."

The way it is described is a puzzle. I had assumed this is referring to the re-marriage O-122. I don't think anyone knows where the Gies coins ended up - I don't find any nowadays with that pedigree. And the Stacks sale did not have photos. But now I wonder if it could have been one of this new marriage "Overton 133"...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file