Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have you ever "accidentally" bid on something...and won? (images added)

oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 27, 2020 6:53PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have read some stories about how their child decided to go shopping when they stepped away from the computer, or their pet accidentally triggered a bid while passing in front of the monitor. But mine was self inflicted. I was doing my usual auction watching whenever I had the evening off, and I sneezed and accidentally hit the bid button somehow, probably because my sensitivity level is set too high on my phone (my story that I am sticking with). Long story short, I won a coin that I was "watching/following", and it was going a little higher than I could afford at the time, so I was just seeing how far it would go. I guess it was my inner-self that triggered my bid. I contacted the auction house and asked for a little time to gather the funds for the coin and they were more than accommodating with a decent down payment and the reminder at my next pay check. Looks like it is going to be ramen noodles for a couple weeks.

My take-away of the story...don't use my phone when viewing auctions with the "bid" activated...especially during allergy season.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Comments

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a cat walk on my keyboard during a Heritage auction. "I" won a (thankfully generic) $10 gold coin for one bid increment too high. Never again will I have my bid activated while just watching the auction proceed.

Mark

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve had my share of bidiot moments. Now, I execute my maximum bid before the auction starts & sit on my hands.

Once in my foolish past I was trying to win a nice Franklin for type purposes. The coin I had been watching was a nice 58-D 67FBL but I came in as the underbidder. I was astonished when the very next lot was an even more beautiful coin at the same grade at half the price! I hurriedly placed a bid and was doing a happy dance when it dawned on me that my victory was for a non-FBL coin. Yikes!

I was able to sell it for exactly what I paid, but I learned a lot about myself, bidding, and looking-before-leaping. Back in the days of a rising market it wasn’t to hard to get out of mistakes like that. Now, it would be much harder.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some regrets, but I don't remember any accidents.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2020 3:57PM

Yes.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I have not. But I have had a healthy amount of "fear" when watching HA Live. Lol

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes. one time, there were two coins of the same date and grade back to back. i bid on the wrong one by mistake...i wanted the second one, but clicked to bid on the first. smh

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep ... I've done that.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've purposefully bid on items where I thought the price was too cheap, not really expecting to win.

But I did win. Once. (Of course I liked what I bid on - just in case).

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2020 3:57PM

@steveben said:
    yes. one time, there were two coins of the same date and grade back to back. i bid on the wrong one by mistake...i wanted the second one, but clicked to bid on the first. smh

Same here. Twice.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will answer by saying “Live bid disabled”. Live and learn 🙂

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost happened to me this last Stacks auction. I was ready to bid live on a watched item when I thought my lot was up. Of course, it wasn't and I started flying in bids for the previous lot that hadn't closed yet. Fortunately, someone still wanted it at the "fair warning" signal and flew in a last bid.
    My apologies to the new owner for running it up unintentionally.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

My childish wife caused me some auction grief when we 1st married. She was like a kid in a candy shop. 1 time I was waiting for some coins to come up...and she reaches over and hits the bid button on a group of ancient coins I knew nothing about! Won them...but actually ended up making money on them!

2nd time was at a coin show that had a charity auction after the show. I have this hideous painting hanging in the house where no one but me sees it(she hung it there!) A friend ran her up through the moon on it because he was messing with me and knew short of violence my wife could not be controlled. I got him back though...made him pay absolutely stupid money for something he really wanted!

• Options
    Moxie15Moxie15 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Years ago my wife was bidding on a Canadian token. When she put in her bid someone had a large bid that kept overbidding her. She found his high bid and i figured that she was done.

A few minutes before the auction was to end I saw her sitting there with her "Pissed off spoiled brat look"

Her and the other bidder were going back and forth like a live auction. Her final bid was more than we had. When I was able to convince her what she had done she got real quiet.
    We had figured out what to do about it with a couple minutes left when the other bidder outbid her. We breathed a sigh of relief and have not spoken of it again.

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually bid on a half eagle based on the price of an eagle. When I went to coinfacts I clicked on the wrong link. I thought I got a good deal but actually tied an auction record for date and grade. I still have the coin and will never recoup what I paid. I called Stacks and asked if I could retract my bid and they said no. I think this story fits your requirements.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have “accidentally” done a BIN and regretted it 5 minutes later. I only blame myself, though. Only once have I ever considered canceling the order but I figured it was the cowardly way out for me. So I took my lumps on an overpaid item that I didn’t take enough time to research first.

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. I had just opened up the draped bust quarters search screen on my eBay app. I had to put my phone in my pocket to deal with my dog’s muddy paws as she came inside. I later pulled my phone out of my pocket to discover I had selected an AU details quarter, then hit buy it now all within my pocket for a $2,300 coin I would never want. Fortunately I just messaged the seller and he voided the transaction, but that could’ve been ugly if a heritage auction.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2020 5:44PM

Yesss, a touchy bid button and mouse caused me to, accidentally, place a $9,000 winning bid on a proof 68 Shield nickel! Something that I would've never even considered purchasing.....I almost had a stroke! The coin actually sold for a lot more, years later, so everything worked out....

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hit the button by accident one time for an expensive coin, and something I would have no care of owning, I was about to call, and try to explain, when i got outbid at the last second, thank goodness.

I always turn the paddle off now when i am just watching

• Options
    LeeroybrownLeeroybrown Posts: 433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I plead the 5th so as to not self-incriminate... 😬

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bid on my wife and won a happy family with two kids. :D

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

Images added to the OP

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

What does she grade?

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭✭

This has been a very entertaining thread today! :D

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Blink three times if you're under duress.

I've lied to my wife before but never this poorly. I admire your doubling down on your original story. You are a man of conviction.

It sure does sound like she has a gun to your sweating forehead as you pray for someone to type "lol me2 accidental bids I was just watching it I swear"

:D

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

I admit sometimes I zone out while bidding and get a weird moment of relief when I'm outbid. Then I use the money I "saved" to bid on something else. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to snipe the auctions I really wanted online, so never had an accidental bid...Used to go to firearm auctions live... I made a small bid on one that I really was only marginally interested in - and won!! Still have it...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been saved a few times by higher bids but I had HA say I won a common date top pop Mercury dime once in a NGC holder. I want to say i puckered up and paid but I would give up the hobby before I paid 4 figures for a common little dime and NGC holder. HA was cool about it (w/warning) and I have continued in the hobby. Lesson learned about logging in with smart phones .

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a few coin auction wins that I wish I could blame on a cat or a sneeze but alas all due to my our stupidity.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of us have e been there done that and that includes me

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

Several years ago Heritage Auctions had two Portuguese gold coins listed, the same except for the mint.

I bid on the coin and discovered I had bid on the wrong mint.

I looked up how to retract a bid and found that one had to telephone the company.

I decided to "roll the dice" and leave the bid up as possibly someone would bid more.

I won the coin, paid for it, and have it.

I have grown to love my little darling.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m winning an accident right now! I got mixed up and put my bid in on the wrong coin. A 23 mercury FB instead of the 23S FB I’m better shape. I emailed and they lowered my bid to just over what it is now, but I’m overpaying and probably will get it. It’s a fairly cheap mistake, but if somebody else wanted it for more than what I’m winning at now, they’ll be able to get it.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurboSnail said:
    I bid on my wife and won a happy family with two kids. :D

By accident? :)

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 if you ever get tired of that 1837 half, let me know.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file