Home U.S. Coin Forum

Q. David Bowers' Autobiography

SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 25, 2020 6:47AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have something like 65 of Dave Bowers' books, and he makes it difficult to keep up. I just pre-ordered a copy of his autobiography: "My Life in Rare Coins. And Other Adventures"--it's due in a couple of months. I am waiting with baited (sic) breath. Anybody else got a spare $100 to splurge on a book? It might make a nice devotional display in your home, sure to impress guests (if they are all coin nerds).

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]

Comments

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds interesting, but as I too, already have a number of his books, I doubt there is a whole lot more to learn about QDB’s wonderful career. But I could be wrong!

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • DCWDCW Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where did you order? I'd be in for one. I love me some Dave Bowers

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazon.com. Another Forum member wrote the foreword.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it was set to debut at the ANA....

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sonorandesertrat.... Just exactly what did you 'bait' your breath with? :D;) Just teasing... I know you meant 'bated'...Just an early morning chuckle. Cheers, RickO

• CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope it's an insightful look at his formula for becoming a successful businessman and scholar, as that would be a fascinating read.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2020 5:58AM

@pruebas said:
    Looks like it was set to debut at the ANA....

We hope and it doesn't get cancelled it should be a good read

@ricko said:
    @Sonorandesertrat.... Just exactly what did you 'bait' your breath with? :D;) Just teasing... I know you meant 'bated'...Just an early morning chuckle. Cheers, RickO

Crow, of course.

• GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard him speak at the ANA several years ago and it was terrific. Lots of specific advise. Even if some of the book was a repeat of his talk it wouldnt bother me since you tend to forget to forget quite a bit from a lecture.

• RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

Thanks for making this thread. Hands down, one of my favorite authors. Can't wait for it to arrive!

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2020 7:15AM

How long has this book been in the works? I seem to remember hearing of something with this working title many years ago.

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2020 7:35AM

I'll order one. If he would name names for all the crooks, doctors, etc. he's seen I'd pay $1,000 or more. Of course, he'd likely want to sell that posthumously. If he kept notes on all that stuff, his personal correspondence will be something someday. I sincerely pray he doesn't destroy that material.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2020 8:16AM

I bet this would be a good read and would love to get a copy. I love reading his book "Abe Kosoff: Dean of Numismatics". I wonder how many others could do an auto-biography?

These silver and bronze medals were issued by the ANS to honor him in 2010. These are both from the Richard Jewell collection with the silver being edge marked #001. I bid pretty strong on the silver but missed out.

The Jewell specimens seemed to sell for strong prices:

A previous bronze in NGC MS66 sold for just $35 in 2019.

Issue price was $140/$155 for silver and and $25/$35 for members/non-members.

" I wonder how many others could do an auto-biography?"

You aren't the only one. The question is whether they would. I would be interested in candid autobiographies by Laura Sperber, 'Colonel Jessup', Julian Leidman, Jerry Bobbe, etc.

edited June 25, 2020 10:46AM

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    " I wonder how many others could do an auto-biography?"

You aren't the only one. The question is whether they would. I would be interested in candid autobiographies by Laura Sperber, 'Colonel Jessup', Julian Leidman, Jerry Bobbe, etc.

I would love it if they all did. Two others include @FredWeinberg and Mike @Byers :)

I have some Bowers pieces and Byers / Leidman piece that I'd love to know more about too.

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2020 9:27AM

@airplanenut said:
    Not really related to his autobiography, but one little story to share. I was at the Baltimore show on my 18th birthday when I ran into QDB at a random table. I said hi, and when it came out that it was my birthday, he walked me across the floor to the Whitman table, told me to choose a book of his, and gave it to me, signed, of course. It's always nice when someone in a high place is as good at being a person as they are in their field of work.

Can second that sentiment. QDB was very generous in giving me a credit in one of his books after I had sent him my unique 1850 $20 Double Eagle (the one that had been described as a proof in the Longacre estate auction) to examine and from another occasion I will treasure the personal correspondence received from him in his taking the time out of his busy schedule to respond.

Amazon canceled my pre-order this morning. Book was originally slated for release in August.

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes I just heard he has several books in development and pulling him in different directions, so none are done.

My QDB story was I was walking from the hotel at a Baltimore show next to him and had some books in my hand. He asked what I had, I told him one of the books was the Numismatists from 1895, and he told me the articles in that volume that he liked...and yes I checked, and yes he was right.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • WCCWCC Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am interested in this book but @$100, this is why I don't buy coin related books that don't have practical information directly related to what I collect. I'd rather spend my entertainment money elsewhere and allocate my collecting budget to coins or references directly related to my collecting.

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

WCC I kind of agree with you in that I don't have a lot of books not specifically related to my collection, but QDB is a man/author/numismatist I have always admired and thought of as " THE MAN " I believe I'll drop a $ 100 on this.

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

An amazing person in person and his books are great. I can't wait to read it.

Best, SH

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/
  • truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

I would splurge.

How many forum members are in the autobiography? :)

Has anyone heard an update on this? I was really hoping it would've released this year after being delayed all last year.

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

If any of the forum members who are attending the whitman/Baltimore Convention this weekend could they ask at the Whitman booth?

I asked @Namvet69 to ask the Whitman folks about this. He is attending the Whitman/Baltimore show.

Namvet69 said that he received my message about the QDB autobiography too late. You can read the message on one of the Baltimore links on the main forum.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file