Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Q. David Bowers' Autobiography

SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 25, 2020 6:47AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have something like 65 of Dave Bowers' books, and he makes it difficult to keep up. I just pre-ordered a copy of his autobiography: "My Life in Rare Coins. And Other Adventures"--it's due in a couple of months. I am waiting with baited (sic) breath. Anybody else got a spare $100 to splurge on a book? It might make a nice devotional display in your home, sure to impress guests (if they are all coin nerds).

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]

Comments

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds interesting, but as I too, already have a number of his books, I doubt there is a whole lot more to learn about QDB’s wonderful career. But I could be wrong!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where did you order? I'd be in for one. I love me some Dave Bowers

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

Amazon.com. Another Forum member wrote the foreword.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it was set to debut at the ANA....

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sonorandesertrat.... Just exactly what did you 'bait' your breath with? :D;) Just teasing... I know you meant 'bated'...Just an early morning chuckle. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope it's an insightful look at his formula for becoming a successful businessman and scholar, as that would be a fascinating read.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2020 5:58AM

@pruebas said:
    Looks like it was set to debut at the ANA....

We hope and it doesn't get cancelled it should be a good read

• Options

@ricko said:
    @Sonorandesertrat.... Just exactly what did you 'bait' your breath with? :D;) Just teasing... I know you meant 'bated'...Just an early morning chuckle. Cheers, RickO

Crow, of course.

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard him speak at the ANA several years ago and it was terrific. Lots of specific advise. Even if some of the book was a repeat of his talk it wouldnt bother me since you tend to forget to forget quite a bit from a lecture.

• Options
    RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

Thanks for making this thread. Hands down, one of my favorite authors. Can't wait for it to arrive!

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2020 7:15AM

How long has this book been in the works? I seem to remember hearing of something with this working title many years ago.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2020 7:35AM

I'll order one. If he would name names for all the crooks, doctors, etc. he's seen I'd pay $1,000 or more. Of course, he'd likely want to sell that posthumously. If he kept notes on all that stuff, his personal correspondence will be something someday. I sincerely pray he doesn't destroy that material.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2020 8:16AM

I bet this would be a good read and would love to get a copy. I love reading his book "Abe Kosoff: Dean of Numismatics". I wonder how many others could do an auto-biography?

These silver and bronze medals were issued by the ANS to honor him in 2010. These are both from the Richard Jewell collection with the silver being edge marked #001. I bid pretty strong on the silver but missed out.

The Jewell specimens seemed to sell for strong prices:

A previous bronze in NGC MS66 sold for just $35 in 2019.

Issue price was $140/$155 for silver and and $25/$35 for members/non-members.

• Options

" I wonder how many others could do an auto-biography?"

You aren't the only one. The question is whether they would. I would be interested in candid autobiographies by Laura Sperber, 'Colonel Jessup', Julian Leidman, Jerry Bobbe, etc.

• Options
    edited June 25, 2020 10:46AM

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    " I wonder how many others could do an auto-biography?"

You aren't the only one. The question is whether they would. I would be interested in candid autobiographies by Laura Sperber, 'Colonel Jessup', Julian Leidman, Jerry Bobbe, etc.

I would love it if they all did. Two others include @FredWeinberg and Mike @Byers :)

I have some Bowers pieces and Byers / Leidman piece that I'd love to know more about too.

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2020 9:27AM

@airplanenut said:
    Not really related to his autobiography, but one little story to share. I was at the Baltimore show on my 18th birthday when I ran into QDB at a random table. I said hi, and when it came out that it was my birthday, he walked me across the floor to the Whitman table, told me to choose a book of his, and gave it to me, signed, of course. It's always nice when someone in a high place is as good at being a person as they are in their field of work.

Can second that sentiment. QDB was very generous in giving me a credit in one of his books after I had sent him my unique 1850 $20 Double Eagle (the one that had been described as a proof in the Longacre estate auction) to examine and from another occasion I will treasure the personal correspondence received from him in his taking the time out of his busy schedule to respond.

• Options

Amazon canceled my pre-order this morning. Book was originally slated for release in August.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes I just heard he has several books in development and pulling him in different directions, so none are done.

My QDB story was I was walking from the hotel at a Baltimore show next to him and had some books in my hand. He asked what I had, I told him one of the books was the Numismatists from 1895, and he told me the articles in that volume that he liked...and yes I checked, and yes he was right.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am interested in this book but @$100, this is why I don't buy coin related books that don't have practical information directly related to what I collect. I'd rather spend my entertainment money elsewhere and allocate my collecting budget to coins or references directly related to my collecting.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

WCC I kind of agree with you in that I don't have a lot of books not specifically related to my collection, but QDB is a man/author/numismatist I have always admired and thought of as " THE MAN " I believe I'll drop a $ 100 on this.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

An amazing person in person and his books are great. I can't wait to read it.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

I would splurge.

• Options

How many forum members are in the autobiography? :)

• Options

Has anyone heard an update on this? I was really hoping it would've released this year after being delayed all last year.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

If any of the forum members who are attending the whitman/Baltimore Convention this weekend could they ask at the Whitman booth?

• Options

I asked @Namvet69 to ask the Whitman folks about this. He is attending the Whitman/Baltimore show.

• Options

Namvet69 said that he received my message about the QDB autobiography too late. You can read the message on one of the Baltimore links on the main forum.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file