Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is it possible to have both; MD and DD?

Just practicing on my eye for Identifying either one! This is MD!# 1999 P Jeff Nickle.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. Of course.

Is there a known DD for 1999P nickels? (I don't know, myself). If not then why look? That's just my opinion.

MD is "flat, shelflike". That seems to describe your coin. Also, the width of the numbers seem to be reduced by the doubling, another sign of MD.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2020 6:12PM

Yes. The 1931-S DDO FS-101 Mercury Dime has Class II Distorted Hub Doubling that is identified on the date but strike doubling can also be identified on the profile. There are many examples like this.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it's possible. They are caused by 2 different things. However, Your coin is not a true doubled die

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    NomaderNomader Posts: 122 ✭✭

Thanks!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it is possible.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are examples (as noted above) of both occurring on the same coin....I think I have a Kennedy half with that condition... will look for it later. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Thanks!

• Options
    Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

I thought this question was asking if a person could be both a doctor and dentist at the same time...

• Options

Lol!

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    There are examples (as noted above) of both occurring on the same coin....I think I have a Kennedy half with that condition... will look for it later. Cheers, RickO

so please find that Kennedy and post a few pictures as I am so interested in seeing it.
    Have a great day
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file