Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Was this 1806 Half Dollar cleaned?

I'm looking at an 1806 half dollar online that is for sale and it comes with terrible photos. I'm having a really hard time deciding on my own of it was cleaned or not. I've attached a screenshot of a photo of the obverse. So I ask you - was this obverse cleaned?

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

Comments

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the image presented, I’d say yes.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

My impression is yes, as the surfaces look glossy and reflective, if I am reading the images correctly.

• Options
    CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

Here is a slightly different angle. I'm struggling with it because it's in a straight-graded NGC holder.

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin has reasonable wear, is somewhat bright and the surfaces appear to be mildly glossy. Those are signs of a cleaned coin. However, a past cleaning and being 'straight-graded' are not incompatible.

Straight grading means it's market acceptable based on the grading guidelines of the TPG.

Many coins from the 19th century have been cleaned and are market acceptable.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. Looks like there's a fair amount of residual "dirt" in the crevices of the stars and the numerals of the date.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think it was.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many cleaned coins are in straight graded holders including the coin in the OP in my opinion

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks it to me as well

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I have to question something, I no buy

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

When in doubt pass.

• Options
    edited May 22, 2020 11:55AM

Thanks all :). The straight-grade made me doubt myself. Now I know.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Firm vote for cleaned...even a bit polished from the 1st photo.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you can look at in hand with return allowed is the only way I would even think of purchasing.

• Options

No returns on the eBay listing, otherwise I would have done that @LindeDad

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks cleaned and lightly polished. Bummer.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

What grade did NGC give it? Sometimes, a lower grade than the details seem to suggest means they (quietly) net graded it....

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks cleaned. Pass.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm inclined to condemn it from the pix. But the images are not great.

NGC straight-graded it. So I'd need to see it in hand.

Could be acceptable (though maybe not desirable). Could be as everyone is guessing.
    Lance.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@astrorat @lkeigwin @TommyType

Yep, Yep and (good insight question to consider) Yep.

Just because it's straight-graded doesn't mean it hasn't been cleaned ... wouldn't the pop's drop if that was the case!

But those pictures do leave some to be desired, for sure.

It looks cleaned. It looks too bright and glossy to not have been, but without a coin in hand, it's a tough call.

I'd never consider it based on the picture, but that's me. The picture paints it that bad IMO.

What's acceptable is a different matter entirely, as that is a more personal preference.

My 2c

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2020 12:53AM

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

Market graded to vf30 , an xf coin that has had some cleaning. Do I always agree with how some of the tpg's do this, no, but apparently the market does.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having experimented with cleaning sacrificial silver coins to see the results, me thinks this puppy has been cleaned. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder what the responses here would be if it had a CAC sticker on the slab. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a cleaned coin that has achieved acceptability....If that bothers you, move on to the next one...It will always bother you if you buy it. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BobSavBobSav Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    It is a cleaned coin that has achieved acceptability....If that bothers you, move on to the next one...It will always bother you if you buy it. Cheers, RickO

I agree with RickO
    Bob

Past transactions with:
    Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are lots of cleaned coins in TPG holders, just none that I submitted. :/

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are another 284 1806 halves to choose from on ebay. On ebay, NOTHING is rare.

Cheers

Bob

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

On something like this, you have to realize that silver is a somewhat reactive metal. No way has that 214 year old coin come through as smooth and even-colored as that. The fact is that most older coins that aren't fairly dark have almost certainly been cleaned/dipped at least once, a great many of them several times. If you're looking for originality, that coin isn't it. The sad news is that there are countless such coins in TPG holders straight-graded, because they are market acceptable.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Outhaul said:
    There are another 284 1806 halves to choose from on ebay. On ebay, NOTHING is rare.

Cheers

Bob

Of which, 270 have been cleaned. ;)

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Outhaul said:

Cheers

Bob

I’ll take an 1806 Overton 128, 129 and 130 then please.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 589 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin is most definitely cleaned. That glossy look is a dead give away imho.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file