Home U.S. Coin Forum

JFK Slab issue

WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

was looking for some upgrades for my registry sets and came across this issue. The QR reader shows this coin with a cert # of XXXX7550 while the bar code shows the cert # as XXXX6463
I notified the seller and the response was:
"Wayne thats the correct coin that I graded and its 100% legit. Its already photographed and sent to my other location where the shipping is done. Good luck."

Any guidence would be appreciated

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-50C-PCGS-SP68-SMS-SILVER-KEY-DATE-THOUGH-KEY-DATE-KENNEDY-HALF-DOLLAR-COIN/383553207411?hash=item594d8d7c73:g:6W0AAOSwjXVexAqr

Kennedys are my quest...

Comments

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the coin is not as described, return it for a refund. The seller is responsible for providing an accurate description.

All glory is fleeting.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you run the certs through the cert verification page? I'm wondering what it says there.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2020 9:29AM

I will assume the eBay seller is legit, but what a convoluted process: photograph the coin in hand and then ship it to somewhere else where the ebay sales are shipped from? :#

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    Did you run the certs through the cert verification page? I'm wondering what it says there.

yes, when the cert # is run thru the verification page, it does match what the coin is listed as but the QR codes states that it is another coin. I scanned several of his coins and low and behold, there is another coin in which the QR code does not match the listed cert #. I did not buy this coin nor will I buy or bid on items listed by this seller until there is more clarity on the discrepancy between listed cert # and the QR code.

Kennedys are my quest...

@JBK said:
    I will assume the eBay seller is legit, but what a convoluted process: photograph the coin in had and then ship it to somewhere else where the ebay sales are shipped from? :#

I think that there was a thread on this same exact issue but cannot locate it. :/

Kennedys are my quest...

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seller has several SMS coins for sale, all with bad pictures. I assume he used the same care to post the pictures as he did to take them, and as a result, the reverses are mostly screwed up. If you get the wrong coin, as a buyer you're protected.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Return it.

• vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not as described - send it back. Sounds odd.

Vplite99
  • BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

When it arrives, check it out - if you are happy keep it, if not return it.

Occam's razor - the simplest explanation is usually correct: He mixed up the pictures of the reverse

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

@BStrauss3 said:

Occam's razor - the simplest explanation is usually correct: He mixed up the pictures of the reverse

As I had previously stated, I did not buy or bid on these coins. I research them as to being legit by checking that the cert # is authentic to the PCGS listings. I also check when possible the QR code to see that it correlates to the bar code and certification number. In several listings, the codes do not match so he has photographed the wrong reverses on quite a few items. If the seller cannot provide better pictures
    because he has already sent the coin to his other facility for shipping, I won't bid or purchase on his items. I am glad that you have had good dealings with him. I do expect a better reply from the seller.
    Hope you find that special coin.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if he is listing coins he does not actually own, either in conjunction with the owner or otherwise.

The whole thing seems strange.

@JBK said:
    I wonder if he is listing coins he does not actually own, either in conjunction with the owner or otherwise.

The whole thing seems strange.

you might be onto something

Kennedys are my quest...

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2020 5:54PM

I LOVE the Proffesional Pictures I mean with that 80 degree angle it REALLY SHOW THE QUALITY ON THE SLAB! I would of jumped on purchasing that one. I mean I can CLEARLY SEE EVERY FLAW!

@Gluggo said:
    I LOVE the Proffesional Pictures I mean with that 80 degree angle it REALLY SHOW THE QUALITY ON THE SLAB! I would of jumped on purchasing that one. I mean I can CLEARLY SEE EVERY FLAW!

if you like the pics, how about his neutral feedback left on "lead Bullion" pm? The deeper I dig into this seller, the worse I feel :o

Kennedys are my quest...

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:

And the simplest explanation is Hanlon's Razor.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hanlon's Razor...."Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"....@messydesk...Good point, and quite likely the answer. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file