Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Yes an eBay question

KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 19, 2020 7:30PM in U.S. Coin Forum

So I recently started a .01 auction on on eBay and eBay price wasn’t very good it was it actually was a fifth sold for $59 and I paid I just paid $130 for the Coin now I would’ve normally ship the coin out however in the instructions it was going to an airport address and then going to Israel tell me would you have shipped to Coin or would you have canceled the order. Pictures to follow. Limited edition 2oz silver coin none available anymore. I listed it domestic only

Best place to buy !
Bronze Associate member

Comments

• Options

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the address is confirmed on PayPal, yes. If not, no.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure what you mean by the airport address but there are legitimate services that tranship to international addresses. Just a service to help international buyers.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

A legitimate domestic airport shipping address that is verified by PayPal? Yes, ship it.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

Listing with a .01 start, you take your chances. Sounds like this one didn’t work out too well. Bummer.

I shipped to a US Naval ship once, which was at sea. It’s what PayPal indicated. Took 2 weeks to arrive, but it all worked out. Ship it!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better luck next time around.

• Options
    RedstoneCoinsRedstoneCoins Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

@Kkathyl said:
    So I recently started a .01 auction on on eBay . . . I listed it domestic only

This is all that is relevant to your question. If the address given is to a domestic U.S. address, then ship the item. If it doesn't comply, then you reserve the right to cancel the sale.

@Kkathyl said:
    eBay price wasn’t very good it was it actually was a fifth sold for $59 and I paid I just paid $130 for the Coin

That is irrelevant to your question. The price you paid for something is immaterial to your obligation to honor your contractual obligations and agreement to sell an item you voluntarily auctioned off. Buyers on eBay, or at any other auction house, only place their bids under the expectation that both sides of the sale will honor the deal - that the Buyer will pay for the item in full, and the Seller will ship the item as described in the listing. When you cancel an honest deal under flimsy circumstances, using weak excuses as a pretense to avoid going through with a sale because you're dissatisfied with an abysmal sale price, that makes you an untrustworthy seller.

The only question that matters here is, did the Buyer comply with the terms of the sale? Was their address in compliance with your terms? If not, then you had every right to cancel the sale. If they were okay, then you cancelled a sale without a justifiable cause.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can limit your sales to only the US, which is what I do. Bummer about the bad sale.. but on items that are not very popular, you may want to either do reserves, or start the item above what you need it to go for.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I listed it domestic only

saved!! :p

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭

The buyer did not meet your criteria, so you have a right to cancel.

I limit my sales to US buyers. A lot of fraudsters overseas. I don;t know if Israel is more problematic than anywhere else, but that is where my bad buyer was located.

I was covered by PP on the deal, but it was a waste of time.

Vplite99
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    I listed it domestic only

saved!! :p

foreign buyers have obviously found a work around by having it shipped to a US address that then forwards the item. Tracking will show "delivered" to the US address fulfilling ebay/PP protection requirements. Anything that happens to the item after that is between the buyer and their forwarding service.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:
    If the PayPal address is good, you ship. Someone bought the item within the terms of your listing, and you are obligated to sell it as such. That you were unhappy with the sale price is wholly irrelevant.

Let's turn the situation around. The coin sold for $260--double what you paid--and all else is the same. Would you be starting this thread and trying to find a way out of the sale?

I imagine she'd be starting the thread to make sure she wasn't scammed out of a coin, given the atypical shipping logistics.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2020 12:05PM

I would wager in the last couple of years I have shipped at least 100 coins to freight forwarders in many countries I or ebay will not ship to(although eBay's list has expanded quite a bit lately before COVID) I have never had a problem...KNOCK ON WOOD!

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the address this?

1850 Airport Exchange Blvd
    Erlanger KY 41025

If it is it’s fine to ship it there. That’s eBay’s International shopping location. Your only liable for shipping until there. When it arrives the responsibility of the item is eBay. One it arrives there eBay will print the label and handle the customs works to ship it to the buyer.

I had a few international buyers and shipped it through eBay with no problems. Might be slow though that’s why the buyers are barred from leaving you anything other than positive feedback. If there are any problems they should contact eBay not you.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

@airplanenut said:
    If the PayPal address is good, you ship. Someone bought the item within the terms of your listing, and you are obligated to sell it as such. That you were unhappy with the sale price is wholly irrelevant.

Let's turn the situation around. The coin sold for $260--double what you paid--and all else is the same. Would you be starting this thread and trying to find a way out of the sale?

I imagine she'd be starting the thread to make sure she wasn't scammed out of a coin, given the atypical shipping logistics.

What's atypical? I ship tons of international directly, but lots that go through forwarders, as well. eBay and PayPal are happy with the address, so I'm covered. I maintain that if the low selling price weren't the main concern, it wouldn't have been mentioned--the question would have been about the address.

The only reason the selling price could be a factor would be in my example--as you pointed out--where she could have said, "I don't understand why this sold so high, and between the high price and address, I'm wondering if it may be a scam." Scams don't reel you in by way underbidding.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,041 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:
    Is the address this?

Erlanger KY 41025

If it is it’s fine to ship it there. That’s eBay’s International shopping location. Your only liable for shipping until there. When it arrives the responsibility of the item is eBay. One it arrives there eBay will print the label and handle the customs works to ship it to the buyer.

I had a few international buyers and shipped it through eBay with no problems. Might be slow though that’s why the buyers are barred from leaving you anything other than positive feedback. If there are any problems they should contact eBay not you.

Interesting.,..

But does eBay jack up the postage charge? I assume they do.

When I list items I am sure to uncheck the default which I believe is to accept eBay's intl shipping.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with above, sounds like you are trying to get confirmation that there may be a problem because the coin didn't bring what you hoped, and get piece of mind and assurance from others to back out of the deal. If it is a confirmed address, then its okay. I have a couple of customers that have a us address and use a forwarding company to ship them internationally on to them. I have lost a buck or two on items I listed several times hoping they would do better and didn't but I still fulfilled my obligation to honor the price. Technically, there really isn't any thing the buyer can do if you renig or back out, but get piode and leave negative feedback. But IMO, that's not ethical

• Options

eBay's international shipping is by far the cheapest way to ship now...irrelevant of insurance. There new international shipping option(which is slow as sh*t) is at or below USPS rates but it comes with up to $100 insurance! It is shipped through DSL. If you need insurance on more expensive items the Global Shipping program is far cheaper than you can buy insurance through USPS if you can even get enough through USPS!

@JBK said:

@Kliao said:
    Is the address this?

Erlanger KY 41025

Interesting.,..

When I list items I am sure to uncheck the default which I believe is to accept eBay's intl shipping.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2020 12:12PM

@JBK said:

@Kliao said:
    Is the address this?

Erlanger KY 41025

Interesting.,..

It doesn’t matter to me. The buy pays for all of that. I had one a couple of weeks ago. It shows that the buyer paid eBay $21.36 for international shipping To Canada

But If international shipping is through eBay’s program I’ll happily go along. There no extra charge or hassle to me over a domestic transaction.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@messydesk said:

@airplanenut said:

Those aren't atypical. And she led with the sale price vs her purchase price. That would be spurious information to a question about shipping logistics.

Perhaps unfamiliar, then.

It was a good sale and should have been completed.

Of course.

• Options

That $21.36 also includes tax(which is high)...which is becoming unavoidable these days.

@Kliao said:

@JBK said:

@Kliao said:
    Is the address this?

Erlanger KY 41025

Interesting.,..

It doesn’t matter to me. The buy pays for all of that. I had one a couple of weeks ago. It shows that the buyer paid eBay $21.36 for international shipping To Canada

But If international shipping is through eBay’s program I’ll happily go along. There no extra charge or hassle to me over a domestic transaction.

• Options

foreign buyers have obviously found a work around

that's a BS "work around" and sellers on eBay should just cancel sales to those types of bidders.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2020 3:54PM

Take my hand,,,,,, I will save you,,,,,, alot of money,,,,,,,, well maybe not but I will pay $60 for it.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

PLUS shipping,,,, I use to watch that show every Saturday as a kid,,,

GrandAm :)
  • Options

@keets said:

that's a BS "work around" and sellers on eBay should just cancel sales to those types of bidders.

If the shipping address is on file with eBay and confirmed through PayPal, I don't see the problem. Once it's delivered there with confirmation of delivery, the seller is covered.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@keets said:

If the shipping address is on file with eBay and confirmed through PayPal, I don't see the problem. Once it's delivered there with confirmation of delivery, the seller is covered.

Completely correct. You specify that you ship to the US, and the buyer has an address to which you can ship--in the US. What's the issue?

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

I’ve never understood the widespread mistrust of overseas/foreign buyers on this forum. It comes across at times as if people actually think that Americans are more honest than those of us in New Zealand, China, France or wherever.

I think it's because the major scams tend to use overseas addresses to avoid having to deal with US Law Enforcement. the one time I was solicited in a "Nigerian Scam" it was a Great Britain based account.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just stating in your auctions that you ship to US addresses only, is not enough. You must also set your ebay shipping & handling parameters to indicate what countries you do not ship to. i/e

Shipping to: United States

Excludes: APO/FPO, Africa, Asia, Central America and Caribbean, Europe, Middle East, Greenland, Mexico, Canada, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Bermuda, Oceania, Southeast Asia, South America, Cayman Islands, Djibouti, French Polynesia, Honduras, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Maldives, Moldova, Mongolia, Morocco, Peru, Sri Lanka, Tunisia, Philippines, Ecuador, El Salvador, Suriname, Guyana, Montenegro, Panama, Mauritania, Turkey, Mauritius, Somalia, Brunei Darussalam, Chad, Madagascar, New Caledonia, South Africa, Western Samoa, India, Côte d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast), Zimbabwe, Bahamas, Iran, Jamaica, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Saint Lucia, Trinidad and Tobago, Western Sahara, Wallis and Futuna, Nepal, Bolivia, Saudi Arabia, Mali, Fiji, Angola, Benin, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cameroon, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Gambia, Guatemala, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Malawi, Mozambique, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Congo, Republic of the, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon Islands, Sudan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Tonga, Uganda, Uruguay, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Botswana, Rwanda, Burma, Montserrat, Antigua and Barbuda, Luxembourg, Burundi, Equatorial Guinea, Kenya, Cuba, Republic of, Congo, Democratic Republic of the, Kiribati, Lesotho, United Arab Emirates, Zambia, Reunion, Cape Verde Islands, Oman, Swaziland, Yemen, Dominican Republic, Israel, Algeria, Argentina, Aruba, Azerbaijan Republic, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belize, Chile, Burkina Faso, Colombia, Egypt, Estonia, Ethiopia, Ghana, Grenada, Haiti, Iraq, Kazakhstan, Liberia, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Pakistan, Qatar, Sierra Leone, Namibia, British Virgin Islands, Bhutan, Central African Republic, Comoros, Gabon Republic, Martinique, Niger, Togo, Tuvalu, Uzbekistan, Dominica, Eritrea, Czech Republic

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@Aotearoa said:
    I’ve never understood the widespread mistrust of overseas/foreign buyers on this forum. It comes across at times as if people actually think that Americans are more honest than those of us in New Zealand, China, France or wherever.

I've never had an American buyer ask me to put a lower value on a package than what the item sold for or mark it as a gift. So there's that. ;)

Easy, now- it's a joke. :)

• Options

@keets said:

Why? Delivery is to a US address and the sale is completed when the US address receives the item.

You might not even know it happened. Often it's busy a regular address.

No different than shopping to someone's American cousin or a US PO box owned by a canadian. I've had those also

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think it's that there is little faith in foreign buyers, but more like less faith in the various postal systems that the items travel through.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@Aotearoa said:

I've never had an American buyer ask me to put a lower value on a package than what the item sold for or mark it as a gift. So there's that. ;)

Easy, now- it's a joke. :)

Lol. But I have had US buyers try to avoid sales tax which is the same thing

• Options
    edited May 20, 2020 6:15PM

@Aotearoa said:

I agree. I ship world wide. The only places I have had trouble are the places where the post office is the problem, like Italy and Russia.

It's obvious xenophobia.

I'd also add that they can insist on eBay global shipping as the shipping option and then all liability belongs to eBay once the package reaches the eBay distribution center. There is no greater risk with eBay global shipping than any domestic shipment. So the argument that there is more risk is simply inaccurate.

• Options
    edited May 20, 2020 6:14PM

@keets said:

I think it's because the major scams tend to use overseas addresses to avoid having to deal with US Law Enforcement. the one time I was solicited in a "Nigerian Scam" it was a Great Britain based account.

Yeah. The Russian mob is too dumb to use a New Jersey POB.

Foreign criminals traffic drugs and children on US soil but they are afraid to get caught stealing a coin.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

I haven't yet. I'm sure it's just a matter of time, though.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I haven't yet. I'm sure it's just a matter of time, though.

A lot of our fellow board members pretty much count on coin shows being full of tax cheats. Whenever the sales tax issue on eBay comes up, there's always a few people that say "I"m just going to buy at coin shows". If they live in a state with sales tax, coin shows should also be collecting sales tax. Unfortunately State enforcement is weak and coin shows are full of tax cheating dealers.

I keep hoping that sales tax authorities will hit a few coin shows and put a few dealers out of business to set an example. It's not fair to the dealers who actually follow the rules.

I told this story before, but I'll repeat it here. At our local show in November, I was buying some stuff from a dealer. I was carrying a bunch of resale certificates because I'm tax exempt. So, the guy totals me up and I hand him the resale certificate and he looked at me and said, "what's this for?"

I said, "To keep you in compliance with the tax people."

He smiled and started looking for some place to put it. He had no clue what to do with it. LOL. He finally just put it between two boxes on his backer table.

Yeah...he's paying the proper sales tax to the State of NY.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    Unfortunately State enforcement is weak and coin shows are full of tax cheating dealers.

I've bought from dealers at Long Beach who tell me they need to charge tax but if they hold onto the coins, they can ship them to me tax-free once they get back to their "no sales tax on coins" state and others who never mention it at all. I figure how they account for taxes (or not) is not my responsibility as a buyer to sort out.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Unfortunately State enforcement is weak and coin shows are full of tax cheating dealers.

I've bought from dealers at Long Beach who tell me they need to charge tax but if they hold onto the coins, they can ship them to me tax-free once they get back to their "no sales tax on coins" state and others who never mention it at all. I figure how they account for taxes (or not) is not my responsibility as a buyer to sort out.

Yes, there are some dealers legitimately exploiting loopholes. I imagine the number of people who can do that is less since the Wayfair ruling. ]

But the dealer I'm talking about is in NY STate, as am I. And that is VERY common. And as I walk around our little regional show, there were only 3 or 4 out of approximately 30 dealers who were charging sales tax. Now, a few of them were at least stating that prices include sales tax but, oddly, none of them would reduce their prices by the 8% when confronted by my resale certificate. LOL

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2020 7:22PM

Many times I see members come here with issues about eBay and I empathize with them.
    Other times, like this, I am glad I can choose the seller I don’t want to deal with.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

And I'm quite sure none of the phishing messages I receive originate in the US...

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reason I will not ship out of country is not because I do not trust buyers from other countries, it is because I do not trust ebay, paypal, USPS, other nations Postal Services, etc enough to all work together seamlessly and problem free.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Yes and no. What they're doing is fine. Rather than completing the sale in CA, they can do it in their home state. But the onus for paying sales tax is on you. If your state charges sales tax, it is absolutely your responsibility to pay tax if the seller didn't collect it.

@OPA said:
    Just stating in your auctions that you ship to US addresses only, is not enough. You must also set your ebay shipping & handling parameters to indicate what countries you do not ship to. i/e

Wouldn't make a difference here. The transaction had a US address. And that's where she ships.

• Options

@airplanenut said:

@MasonG said:

Yes and no. What they're doing is fine. Rather than completing the sale in CA, they can do it in their home state. But the onus for paying sales tax is on you. If your state charges sales tax, it is absolutely your responsibility to pay tax if the seller didn't collect it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "yes and no". What the dealer is doing is fine and since my state doesn't charge sales tax on coins, what I'm doing is fine, too.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@airplanenut said:

@MasonG said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "yes and no". What the dealer is doing is fine and since my state doesn't charge sales tax on coins, what I'm doing is fine, too.

Your statement "I figure how they account for taxes (or not) is not my responsibility as a buyer to sort out" is incorrect. If sales tax is not collected by the seller in a sale from out of state, it IS your responsibility to sort out the taxes. It just happens that you live somewhere where taxes on the sale in question don't apply, so you've sorted out the taxes by doing nothing.

• Options

Great input guys but I set it up as the domestic shipping only I then receive further ship instructions that was provided to me for International sales here in the United States !how can I defend myself against a loss if in the second leg of the shipment the product is lost in Israel and then the customer claims to never get it because they weren’t getting it signing for iand then shipping it they were asking me to do all that work for them so they wanted me to be their broker for an international sale For a item I specifically set up as domestic sale only so I canceled the order. I did get a threatening email from him he’s going to report me to eBay while you guys know me and I’ve done nothing but great things for all of my customers over the years so if he wants to report me go ahead but I specifically said domestic sales only and you’re right the price isn’t relevant I would’ve shipped it you guys know me I would’ve shipped it at any price it sold I always have I’ve always been a woman of my word just the point that he set it up in a fashion with directions to me that had to be specific on how I had to do things to bypass the shipping domestic only it wasn’t a residential address is commercial address I have no idea who works there I have no idea how they process things there I did not check international box I specifically uncheck international box because I don’t want to deal with having to fight over Things are going to other countries. I don’t want to deal with it so I canceled the order I got an earful he’s threatened to report me to the eBay please well you know what go ahead then I’ve had a very very rough couple weeks as many of you that know me really know me will never ever ever even considered doing that somebody like me God bless you and have a good night,
    What was more upsetting to me than anything was the fact that The Myles Standish foundation won’t get any money from that sale because as you know 10% of everything I do goes to that foundation so I had to cancel the order and then here flak from somebody who doesn’t know me from Adam does has no idea what I’ve gone through as a human being in the last 2 months just trying to stay alive.
    Love you all

Kathleen

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file