Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Yes an eBay question

2»

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought the confirmed Paypal address was in the U.S. If so, it doesn't matter what happens once the package reaches that destination, you are covered. I'd be upset also if the seller reneged on a deal just because the hammer price was lower than anticipated.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    Many times I see members come here with issues about eBay and I empathize with them.
    Other times, like this, I am glad I can choose the seller I don’t want to deal with.

@MilesWaits said:
    Many times I see members come here with issues about eBay and I empathize with them.
    Other times, like this, I am glad I can choose the seller I don’t want to deal with.

@MilesWaits said:

That’s true Miles absolutely and you know I guess a lot of people I haven’t communicated with lately don’t know what’s going on in my life many people don’t care what they say around them either I’m a very caring person I’ve been doing a lot of good work for people and the sale of this specific Coin was going to go to define charities and also it would make me whole on what I paid for it but that’s not the point the point is is it’s set up as domestic domestic sale only that way I don’t have to worry about international paperwork I don’t have to ship my product out to somebody else to do it just a street sale. And I have nothing against any other country in fact maybe somebody should take a look at my multicultural family and tell me about that becauseThat’s not who I am but I am a victim of a crime lately and that I have to deal with myself

Love always Kathleen also known as kkathyl. I remember a time when this forum used to be a band of brothers and sisters where we all stuck together. I’m the last person that doesn’t discriminate against another country person based on their skin color who they vote for where they been we have they’ve grown up none of that none of that has ever mattered to me anybody who’s been following me knows that for sure if you don’t believe me look me up at Kathleen Badstibner Long on Facebook and then you tell me that I’ve got a problem with people in other countries God bless you guys all have a great night. I’m gonna crawl in the my blanket and try to relax after a very very stressful day in court so thank you for all your comments and God bless you all Kathy

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

10% of the sale was going to the charity. You could just mail them $6 with the money you saved by not completing the sale?

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2020 2:20AM

@Kkathyl I hope you don't take anything people did here too personally. It was a good question/scenario that was interesting for people to debate about. Your experience will give others something to think about....

As for your recent challenges, I don't know anything about them but from what little I know about you I would not want to be the other guy if you are going up against someone in court. :wink:

• Options

@Aotearoa said:
    I’ve never understood the widespread mistrust of overseas/foreign buyers on this forum. It comes across at times as if people actually think that Americans are more honest than those of us in New Zealand, China, France or wherever.

It's unfortunate that it appears this way and in many/most cases I am sure this is not the case, but it is easy to see how it could be interpreted this way.

The biggest challenges for me as an occasional seller are the huge variations in postage and other costs when shipping internationally.

One of the disadvantages US sellers face is the ridiculously high registered mail costs, for example.

I do lots of business with UK and even China sellers with no issues at all. I wish it were as seamless for transactions going the other way.

There was the one UK seller who insisted on using ebay's int'l shipping program and wanted to charge over $20 for an item that would have cost a couple of pounds to ship. Needless to say that was a deal breaker.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just allow the Global Shipping program option. Your off the hook once it gets to Kentucky!

@jwitten said:
    The reason I will not ship out of country is not because I do not trust buyers from other countries, it is because I do not trust ebay, paypal, USPS, other nations Postal Services, etc enough to all work together seamlessly and problem free.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    I thought the confirmed Paypal address was in the U.S. If so, it doesn't matter what happens once the package reaches that destination, you are covered. I'd be upset also if the seller reneged on a deal just because the hammer price was lower than anticipated.

This

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:
    Just stating in your auctions that you ship to US addresses only, is not enough. You must also set your ebay shipping & handling parameters to indicate what countries you do not ship to. i/e

Shipping to: United States

Excludes: APO/FPO, Africa, Asia, Central America and Caribbean, Europe, Middle East, Greenland, Mexico, Canada, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Bermuda, Oceania, Southeast Asia, South America, Cayman Islands, Djibouti, French Polynesia, Honduras, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Maldives, Moldova, Mongolia, Morocco, Peru, Sri Lanka, Tunisia, Philippines, Ecuador, El Salvador, Suriname, Guyana, Montenegro, Panama, Mauritania, Turkey, Mauritius, Somalia, Brunei Darussalam, Chad, Madagascar, New Caledonia, South Africa, Western Samoa, India, Côte d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast), Zimbabwe, Bahamas, Iran, Jamaica, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Saint Lucia, Trinidad and Tobago, Western Sahara, Wallis and Futuna, Nepal, Bolivia, Saudi Arabia, Mali, Fiji, Angola, Benin, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cameroon, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Gambia, Guatemala, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Malawi, Mozambique, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Congo, Republic of the, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon Islands, Sudan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Tonga, Uganda, Uruguay, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Botswana, Rwanda, Burma, Montserrat, Antigua and Barbuda, Luxembourg, Burundi, Equatorial Guinea, Kenya, Cuba, Republic of, Congo, Democratic Republic of the, Kiribati, Lesotho, United Arab Emirates, Zambia, Reunion, Cape Verde Islands, Oman, Swaziland, Yemen, Dominican Republic, Israel, Algeria, Argentina, Aruba, Azerbaijan Republic, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belize, Chile, Burkina Faso, Colombia, Egypt, Estonia, Ethiopia, Ghana, Grenada, Haiti, Iraq, Kazakhstan, Liberia, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Pakistan, Qatar, Sierra Leone, Namibia, British Virgin Islands, Bhutan, Central African Republic, Comoros, Gabon Republic, Martinique, Niger, Togo, Tuvalu, Uzbekistan, Dominica, Eritrea, Czech Republic

YOU must be a very mis-trusting person!
    But it is usually your type of person who kicks up a fuss when you want to buy something from a (good feedback) person living in a reputable country... like your largest neighbour Canada.
    and it is sold to Canada only!
    right?

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭

That silver bullion piece you pictured is one of MANY terrible products produced by the RCM. It’s such a niche piece that almost nobody wants one when they are originally offered from the mint and even less people want one on the secondary market.
    You unfortunately paid the outrageous initial mint price and have learned that ugly silver bullion like that does not hold its premium.
    I would be wary of sending to a foreign address, and for that reason I always disable the international option on eBay.
    I’m kind of surprised that someone bid that thing up to $59. To me, it’s a melt piece.

• Options

@FranklinHalfAddict said:
    That silver bullion piece you pictured is one of MANY terrible products produced by the RCM. It’s such a niche piece that almost nobody wants one when they are originally offered from the mint and even less people want one on the secondary market.
    You unfortunately paid the outrageous initial mint price and have learned that ugly silver bullion like that does not hold its premium.
    I would be wary of sending to a foreign address, and for that reason I always disable the international option on eBay.
    I’m kind of surprised that someone bid that thing up to $59. To me, it’s a melt piece.

Please, don't hold back - tell us how you really feel. :D

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kkathyl said:
    That’s true Miles absolutely and you know I guess a lot of people I haven’t communicated with lately don’t know what’s going on in my life many people don’t care what they say around them either I’m a very caring person I’ve been doing a lot of good work for people and the sale of this specific Coin was going to go to define charities and also it would make me whole on what I paid for it but that’s not the point the point is is it’s set up as domestic domestic sale only that way I don’t have to worry about international paperwork I don’t have to ship my product out to somebody else to do it just a street sale. And I have nothing against any other country in fact maybe somebody should take a look at my multicultural family and tell me about that becauseThat’s not who I am but I am a victim of a crime lately and that I have to deal with myself

This is why so many people here told you that as far as you have to be concerned with it, it is a domestic sale. You ship to the US address and you're done. You're not on the hook if the forwarder screws up, and all the paperwork is done by the forwarder. It's no different than if an international buyer had you ship to a friend in the USA because they are going to come visit in a month and pick it up then. This WAS a domestic sale, and the buyer is fully right to be angry.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2020 10:39AM

Doesn't matter of the proceeds were going to a charity or not - a sale is a sale whether you liked the final price or not. And the side story doesn't matter either, has nothing to do with it. If I won a nice 1800 large cent from a seller, I really don't care if their bike got stolen or if their parents were yetis. Just ship the coin in a timely manner once payment is made. End of story.

Outside drama doesn't absolve a seller from fulfilling the order, unless they died.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:

@Kkathyl said:

This is why so many people here told you that as far as you have to be concerned with it, it is a domestic sale. You ship to the US address and you're done. You're not on the hook if the forwarder screws up, and all the paperwork is done by the forwarder. It's no different than if an international buyer had you ship to a friend in the USA because they are going to come visit in a month and pick it up then. This WAS a domestic sale, and the buyer is fully right to be angry.

If there is a problem between the forwarder and the buyer, who gets the negative feedback from the buyer? The seller or the forwarder?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2020 12:07PM

@Kkathyl said:
    Great input guys but I set it up as the domestic shipping only I then receive further ship instructions that was provided to me for International sales here in the United States

When there is a paypal transaction there is only one correct shipping instruction and that is the address shown in the paypal transaction page. Any instruction from elsewhere to modify this shipping address voids your seller protection in paypal. A long running scam involves someone other than your buyer sending you a message to ship an item to a different address. It's easy for them to do, all they need is to view your recent sales.

Not sure how that international hub thingy works (I don't participate) but if you got caught up in that** you more than likely had this block checked** during the creation of the listing and are committed to the international sale:

I have noticed that this blocks sometimes gets a check mark (not by me) when revising a listing or creating a similar listing. I have learned to always look for this option in my listing process and to remove the check mark if it got put there by default.

Also go into your account setup and make sure you have set a default to check the blocks automatically, each time, for the countries you don't ship to.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

It wasn't a foreign address. It was a US address.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe I missed it, but was the address the actual one that Paypal said to ship to? People seem to be assuming it was.

Or did paypal say to ship it to one place, then the buyer says "Ship it here instead"?

I guess I don't understand the scenario fully.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Extremely unlikely that an international scammer is going to waste their time tying up $59 of their money for the next month just so they can swindle $32 worth of silver. As far as eBay is concerned you are shipping to a US address. So long as the coin makes it to Kentucky you are free and clear. You should honor your sale IMO.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@airplanenut said:

@Kkathyl said:

If there is a problem between the forwarder and the buyer, who gets the negative feedback from the buyer? The seller or the forwarder?

Too many unknowns.

Ebay protects you from feedback to a certain extent.

Feedback also should be secondary to living up to the sales contract. I had a US recipient gave a completely successful transaction and leave me negative feedback because I refused to sell him a second item with free shipping. Anyone can leave negative feedback anytime.

In fact, it's too bad this buyer can't leave negative feedback for the sale being pulled.

• Options

I always disable the international option on eBay.

This is something that needs to be confirmed unchecked each time a listing is created or revised. I often find it checked when I did not check it, especially during a listing revision, and suspect this is what created the OP's problem. See my earlier post

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    edited May 21, 2020 12:43PM

@jmlanzaf said:

Feedback also should be secondary to living up to the sales contract. I had a US recipient gave a completely successful transaction and leave me negative feedback because I refused to sell him a second item with free shipping. Anyone can leave negative feedback anytime.

In fact, it's too bad this buyer can't leave negative feedback for the sale being pulled.

a receiver of negative feedback gets a shot at having the last word on the feedback.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

a receiver of negative feedback gets a shot at having the last work on the feedback.

True, but it's still a red mark.

Personally, I get one about every 5 years or so. I've learned to ignore them. Sometimes there's no way to satisfy someone

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

a receiver of negative feedback gets a shot at having the last work on the feedback.

Personally, I get one about every 5 years or so. I've learned to ignore them. Sometimes there's no way to satisfy someone

Just got my first neg (five ebay accounts) in 13 years of selling on ebay. Sold a sealed bank roll. Buyer didn't like what he found, claimed it was damaged/opened during shipping (because listing specified no returns on opened rolls). Package was truck proof. Gets his refund and gives me a neg for being a dishonest seller. Anyone like his ID? just send me a PM.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

@Aotearoa said:

@keets said:
    I’ve never understood the widespread mistrust of overseas/foreign buyers on this forum. It comes across at times as if people actually think that Americans are more honest than those of us in New Zealand, China, France or wherever.

I think it's because the major scams tend to use overseas addresses to avoid having to deal with US Law Enforcement. the one time I was solicited in a "Nigerian Scam" it was a Great Britain based account.

And I'm quite sure none of the phishing messages I receive originate in the US...

@Aotearoa said:

@keets said:

I think it's because the major scams tend to use overseas addresses to avoid having to deal with US Law Enforcement. the one time I was solicited in a "Nigerian Scam" it was a Great Britain based account.

And I'm quite sure none of the phishing messages I receive originate in the US...

@Aotearoa said:

@keets said:

So now I got an update the gentleman who purchased the Coin wants me to now ship it to a friend in Miami so now he’s changing the shipping address through email do you guys still agree I should ship it or do you agree I should still cancel it let’s do a lot a of a pole

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    edited May 21, 2020 2:47PM

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Just got my first neg (five ebay accounts) in 13 years of selling on ebay. Sold a sealed bank roll. Buyer didn't like what he found, claimed it was damaged/opened during shipping (because listing specified no returns on opened rolls). Package was truck proof. Gets his refund and gives me a neg for being a dishonest seller. Anyone like his ID? just send me a PM.

So sorry to hear that because I know you’re such a wonderful person I love all you guys but I guess people are going to be people I had a girl spend about $1500 on jewelry and she loved it loved it loved it and then her husband came home and he got mad at her for spending too much money on him. so she then wanted to return it all. I had already spent $76 insurance shipping that going out so I said no . I can’t just do that because your husband got mad. I was also concerned of what would be returned. I know he is upset but you outbid others. with others bitter people wanted it and you overpaid them at the last minute and you wanted this so bad and you even told me how great it was so then she put in a claim that it wasn’t as described she went to a A jeweler store one of her friends who claimed that the content of the gold was off by .001%. So I ended up eating $76 times two and I moved on sometimes people are just messed up and I feel sorry for her but that really sucked in that taught me I’m never going to sell jewelry again online heartless and nothing like significant a value like that to me unless I know them.

Ps Terms were no return

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kkathyl said:

@Aotearoa said:

@keets said:

@Aotearoa said:

@keets said:

@Aotearoa said:

@keets said:

So now I got an update the gentleman who purchased the Coin wants me to now ship it to a friend in Miami so now he’s changing the shipping address through email do you guys still agree I should ship it or do you agree I should still cancel it let’s do a lot a of a pole

Respond and tell him that you ship to the initial verified PayPal address or cancel the sale, his choice.

• Options

@Kkathyl said:

@Aotearoa said:

@keets said:

@Aotearoa said:

@keets said:

@Aotearoa said:

@keets said:

If he changes his registered shipping address on PayPal and eBay, ship it. If he just emails it to you, of course not.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kkathyl said:
    I listed it domestic only

Just letting you know- your listing on eBay shows shipping to:

Item location: Bradenton, Florida, United States
    Shipping to: United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Denmark, Romania, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Finland, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Estonia, Australia, Greece, Portugal, Cyprus, Slovenia, Japan, China, Sweden, Korea, South, Indonesia, Taiwan, Thailand, Belgium, France, Hong Kong, Ireland, Netherlands, Poland, Spain, Italy, Germany, Austria, Bahamas, Israel, Mexico, New Zealand, Singapore, Switzerland, Norway, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, Croatia, Republic of, Malaysia, Brazil, Chile, Aruba, Belize, Dominica, Grenada, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Turks and Caicos Islands, Bangladesh, Brunei Darussalam, Bolivia, Ecuador, Egypt, French Guiana, Guernsey, Gibraltar, Guadeloupe, Iceland, Jersey, Jordan, Cambodia, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Macau, Martinique, Nicaragua, Peru, Pakistan, Paraguay, Vietnam, Uruguay, Russian Federation.

• Options

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Yeah, I went about 15 years without getting one. Then I got one about 6 years ago. Then I got another one last year. Some people just like to use them. The one guy negged me, as I mentioned, for not selling him a different item with free shipping. The one he bought, he got, kept and was happy with. What am I supposed to do about that?

The other one was a buyer who never received the item. I refunded his money + shipping. He gave me a neg anyway.

Meh. They don't hurt. LOL

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2020 3:54PM

I have shipped a few items over seas. The last one went to a Muslim country and I had to lie to get the item past customs. But it made it probably on the FBI list for sending the package there.
    I even once got a BULLET PROOF VEST shipped to me from all places ISRAEL! Don’t know if it really works I guess one day I might find out but I hope I live through it! It’s heavy enough maybe I should have a friend test it on me! Start with a 9 mm bullet.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can't do that without cancelling the sale, relisting, so he can buy it again after he updates his address. Been there and done that.

@jmlanzaf said:

@Kkathyl said:

@Aotearoa said:

@keets said:

@Aotearoa said:

@keets said:

@Aotearoa said:

@keets said:

If he changes his registered shipping address on PayPal and eBay, ship it. If he just emails it to you, of course not.

• Options
    bombtech25bombtech25 Posts: 209 ✭✭✭

K> @MasonG said:

@Kkathyl said:
    I listed it domestic only

Just letting you know- your listing on eBay shows shipping to:

Item location: Bradenton, Florida, United States
    Shipping to: United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Denmark, Romania, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Finland, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Estonia, Australia, Greece, Portugal, Cyprus, Slovenia, Japan, China, Sweden, Korea, South, Indonesia, Taiwan, Thailand, Belgium, France, Hong Kong, Ireland, Netherlands, Poland, Spain, Italy, Germany, Austria, Bahamas, Israel, Mexico, New Zealand, Singapore, Switzerland, Norway, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, Croatia, Republic of, Malaysia, Brazil, Chile, Aruba, Belize, Dominica, Grenada, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Turks and Caicos Islands, Bangladesh, Brunei Darussalam, Bolivia, Ecuador, Egypt, French Guiana, Guernsey, Gibraltar, Guadeloupe, Iceland, Jersey, Jordan, Cambodia, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Macau, Martinique, Nicaragua, Peru, Pakistan, Paraguay, Vietnam, Uruguay, Russian Federation.

The plot thickens

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

this is starting to sound like it might be potential customer trouble.

• Options

@Kkathyl said:

@Aotearoa said:

@keets said:

@Aotearoa said:

@keets said:

@Aotearoa said:

@keets said:

The old address switcheroo? No way!

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    You can't do that without cancelling the sale, relisting, so he can buy it again after he updates his address. Been there and done that.

@jmlanzaf said:

@Kkathyl said:

@Aotearoa said:

@keets said:

@Aotearoa said:

@keets said:

@Aotearoa said:

@keets said:

She already canceled the sale

• Options

@keets said:
    this is starting to sound like it might be potential customer trouble.

Sounds more like the trouble is based on how the transaction was handled in the first place, and there wouldn't be customer trouble if the original sale had just been honored.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

@PerryHall said:

@airplanenut said:

@Kkathyl said:

Depending on the issue, such a negative may well not stick. Beyond that, there are enough potential pitfalls no matter where you sell an item that it's not something I'd worry about. What happens when a domestic package is scanned as delivered but is left at the wrong address and the buyer never sees it? What happens when a package is randomly delayed en route and the buyer isn't understanding? I can say that I've had exactly zero issues with forwarders in the 17+ years I've been selling seriously on eBay.

• Options

As a final protection, just in case international shipping gets by me when I create a listing I always include in the description "we ship only to US addresses."

- Nick Giambruno

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file