Home U.S. Coin Forum

The United States Mint’s Newest Gimmick...

cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

1945 Mintage Limit
1945 Product Limit

My Guess...$3,000 range...

This is the Future of the United States Mint

Lower and Lower Mintages, Higher and Higher Prices, More and More Gimmicks, and Fewer and Fewer Customers...

https://catalog.usmint.gov/end-of-world-war-ii-75th-anniversary-american-eagle-gold-proof-coin-20XE.html?cgid=product-schedule

Comments

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

I not only hear you I totally agree with your assessment.

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

More overpriced, over-hyped bullion from the US Mint.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just say NO.

All glory is fleeting.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2020 5:13AM

We have 6 years until our nation's 250th birthday......

I wonder what disaster the Mint is planning.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    We have 6 years until our nation's 250th birthday......

I wonder what disaster the Mint is planning.

Will find out in good time :/

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This creates an instant rarity....flippers heaven for sure. I would say they will be gone in sixty seconds. Cheers, RickO

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

They’re trying to compete with other world mints doing this sort of thing. Eventually people won’t buy it anymore and there will be another long gap of nothing but coinage until enough time has passed that people will pay for more again.

• cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

There have been 54 Substantial price Increases from the United States Mint So Far in CY2020

Long Term…

Those price Increases are Pale in comparison to a Mintage Limit and a Product Limit of 1945 for a Gold American Eagle

By Far…

A 1945 Mintage Limit for the Most Popular United States Modern Gold coin is the most important news coming out of the United States Mint in Years…

The United States Mint has run the White Flag up the pole…

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2020 8:00AM

I gave up on these games after the SE last year. The new Mint Director is destroying the brand.

Short-term: some people will make some money

Long-term: fewer and fewer collectors.

Other mints have proven that this new business model does not have long-term success. It only cheapens the term "rarity".

Value is a function of supply and demand. Yes, the supply is getting smaller, but ultimately the demand will shrink as well.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    With a mintage of only 1,945, it will sell out in a minute or two and the flippers will sell them for a generous profit. History will repeat itself once again.

History has BEEN repeating itself for awhile now.

Run Forest RUN!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not again.

• SenateSaloonSenateSaloon Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Long-term: fewer and fewer collectors.

Other mints have proven that this new business model does not have long-term success. It only cheapens the term "rarity".

I don’t have the data to assess whether this statement is right or wrong. I admit it could be right. Having said that, the 2019 S Enhanced Reverse Proof got me back into coin collecting. I hadn’t been active for decades. It also got my son into
    Collecting for the first time. He was fortunate to pick up the 2019 coin and he has no plans to sell it.

So I recognize from prior posts that many here threatened to quit collecting after the 2019 sales debacle of 30,000 ASEs, but there are also many like me who returned to collecting BECAUSE of the Mint production limits (I also buy other products from the Mint and from some dealers that are not so limited). I’m not in it for the quick flip.

In short, these limited production runs are bringing in some new collectors as well as forcing out some long-timers. I’m not sure which side has bigger numbers. But one thing for sure- the number of collectors has been going down for decades- so why shouldn’t the Mint try some marketing gimmicks?

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a good question, why shouldn’t the mint try some gimmicks? They are and we’ll see what happens. Hopefully they won’t go the route of extreme novelty coins like Star Trek communicator coins, coins depicting cartoon characters, etc. But, then again, people do seem to buy those things and seemingly enjoy them (only to be disappointed later that they don’t gain value).

• LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will these also come with numbered authenticity cards and randomly inserted fancy autographs again? ... sigh.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been a lifetime collector and I can only speak for my own reaction to the gimmicks.

When the new collectors who were enticed by the gimmicks stick around in the hobby for decades then we can say that new collectors were brought into the hobby.

I suspect, however, that many if not most of the newly enticed collectors might not be in it for the long haul. Once the limited edition baubles become endless, they will likely move on to the next thing.

• CoinNoviceCoinNovice Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

Im in. lol

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Compared to the other subjects on recent US commemorative coins, I don't consider the 75th anniversary of the end of WWII to be a "gimmick" and it's completely worthy of being recognized on a US commemorative coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

@PerryHall said:
    Compared to the other subjects on recent US commemorative coins, I don't consider the 75th anniversary of the end of WWII to be a "gimmick" and it's completely worthy of being recognized on a US commemorative coin.

The American Gold Eagle isn’t a commemorative coin...

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

PerryHall wasn't referring to the Eagle, but rather the 75th Anniv of the end of WWII commemorative.

edited May 12, 2020 3:19PM

@cagcrisp said:

@PerryHall said:

It becomes a commemorative coin once a privy mark is added by the US Mint to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the end of WWII. This is not unlike when the mint added CAL to the first $2.5 gold coins struck in 1848 from gold brought back from the California gold fields. PCGS Coin Facts calls this "the first official United States commemorative coin".

@PerryHall said:

@cagcrisp said:

@PerryHall said:

It becomes a commemorative coin once a privy mark is added by the US Mint to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the end of WWII. This is not unlike when the mint added CAL to the first $2.5 gold coins struck in 1848 from gold brought back from the California gold fields.

Putting a privy mark on an American Gold Eagle doesn’t make it a commemorative coin...

It makes it an American Gold Eagle with a privy mark...

@dpoole said:
    PerryHall wasn't referring to the Eagle, but rather the 75th Anniv of the end of WWII commemorative.

That’s not what he is saying, he’s saying it’s a commemorative coin...

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Royal Canadian mint went bonkers with this sort of thing. There are probably a hundred or more coins from them in the last 20 years with mintages under 1000.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

It can be debated whether an AGE with a special privy mark to commemorate an important event in US history can be considered to be a commemorative coin or not. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. :D

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW, the mint's web site classifies the coin under "American Eagle Coin Program" as opposed to "Commemorative Coin Program", which is also the way I think about it.

By Law there can be a maximum of two commemorative coin programs per year.

Maximum of two.

In 2020 the two commemorative programs are:

1. Basketball Hall of Fame
    2. Women’s Suffrage

That’s it...

edited May 12, 2020 5:32PM

So, will this coin be required in order to have a complete collection of AGE's?

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm hoping for a super limited temporarily minted 3 days in Philly MS100 CACS. That will be the big $$$$. Oh yeah give me first strike super rare autographed one of nine serial number label thingy too. Beanie baseball card 3.0. Puke!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

@PerryHall said:
    So, will this coin be required in order to have a complete collection of ASE's?

There will be an American Gold Eagle and an American Silver Eagle.

If you want a complete set of American Gold Eagles or a complete set of American Silver Eagles then you have to have the ones with the privy mark...

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is gonna be a hoot a couple days before issue.
    That’s when we will find out who the true believers or flippers are!
    Thank Goodness we have a thread that can get into the thousand count. Been kind of slow around here.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
    edited May 12, 2020 5:33PM

@cagcrisp said:

@PerryHall said:
    So, will this coin be required in order to have a complete collection of ASE's?

There will be an American Gold Eagle and an American Silver Eagle.

If you want a complete set of American Gold Eagles or a complete set of American Silver Eagles then you have to have the ones with the privy mark...

I meant AGE rather than ASE. It was a typo or what we call here a mechanical error. :D

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

ZZZZZZZZ ......

Shortest post ever for the dumbest idea.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Actually, putting the privy mark on the ASE rather than on the AGE would make more sense because it would be far more affordable for the average collector.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

The right words escape me. Look at the declining mintages for AGE Proofs over the past 10 years and you begin to see how interest has already declined.

I'm sure it will be an instant sellout, just like the Mint has become a sellout for collectors. The better use of time & money is simply standard gold bullion.

I'll probably try to get one, but not because I need it for my collection. What a crappy thing to do to actual collectors.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

There will be a E75 privy mark on an American Gold Eagle and a E75 privy mark on an American Silver Eagle...

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let’s not forget a 2020 gold pilgrim coin is supposed to be coming out as well

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

“What a crappy thing to do to actual collectors.”

IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, a coin such as this simply destroys the value of all the “low” mintage coins in the series from its inception. In this case, a series that is (34) years old. Collectors paid heavy premiums from the Mint for decades, year in and year out, to buy these coins every year for their collections. After the release of this coin, nearly all the other (34) years of coins in this series will quite possibly be considered nothing more than “junk bullion” - at least for a few generations! A “crappy thing to do to actual collectors”.

As always, just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

ǝƃɐ ʇsɹıɟ ʎɯ ǝq plnoʍ - ǝɹouƃı oʇ pɹɐɥ sı ǝƃɐʇuıɯ ʍol-ɹǝqn ǝɥʇ ʇnq 'sǝıʌıɹd ɟo uɐɟ ɐ ʇou - [uɐɔ ı ɟı] ǝuo ƃuıʇʇǝƃ ʎlǝʇıuıɟǝp - uıoɔ sıɥʇ ɟo uɐɟ ǝɹɐɹ ǝɥʇ ǝq ʇsnɯ

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kiyote said:
    The Royal Canadian mint went bonkers with this sort of thing. There are probably a hundred or more coins from them in the last 20 years with mintages under 1000.

What’s even crazier is sometimes it takes days to sell out.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

They'll be gone in less than 60 seconds....the computers will freeze...the website will jam....many will leave empty handed and angry...very few will be successful in catching one or the other....you're computer will jam up before the final purchase click...sounds like fun!

• HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have my IT Dept. working on a killer BOT for this. All I need is 1,945 shipping addresses and credit card numbers. >:)

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater

The alternative is put a $4,000 price tag on it and see "Just How Big Ol' Boy are Ya"...

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2020 7:36PM

Would a V75 privy mark be fairly easy for someone to counterfeit if stamped on a regular gold eagle??

Does anyone have a link to the Mint or a video as to how these are going to actually be done to be secure?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file