Home Metal Detecting

Is anyone detecting?

I haven't seen any posts for recent finds. Is anyone having any luck since spring is here?

Comments

• pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭

Gotten out a couple times recently. Haven’t had motivation to post anything but maybe I will get something out tonight.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Snow is mostly gone from the mountains, except on some of the shaded flats.... So soon will start looking for old foundations on hikes....Cheers, RickO

• First time out in 3-4 years...been busy with other stuff, lost interest, etc. This is from my yard...my house was built on an old farm...flat button from 19th century , with some hand forged iron, and some modern stuff lost by my kids and other junk.

"A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs

Well... some coins to reward your efforts...and that Roosevelt dime looks as if it was hit by a lawnmower... not sure what the forged iron piece would be...Should be more stuff out there...Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wife wanted a drive for Mother’s Day. We ended up driving to the center if the Black Hills and taking some gravel roads. Found a CCC camp and let the kids and dogs run while I swing the detector for first time in years. Took me a min to get back into the sounds....hit a nice steady high number that pinged crisp and loud. Popped out this brass bracelet.

I actually like these relics more than coins and after a quick note taped on placed on the treasure shelf. A good day for me with family in these times.

Think I’ll take the truck and quad back out on some if the narrower roads we found, posted, need to get an off-road permit to access some of them on quad. Wondering why I don’t do it more. Some snow still in spots... lots of summer ahead.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

COVID-19 took my spring away....over 100 degrees now and getting out will be sproatic at best. At 70+ just didn't risk getting out there, gold or no.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

@WildIdea .... What a unique find....that is very cool. Yes, you should definitely get back out there...Bet there is much more to be discovered....Cheers, RickO

@ricko, there really wasn’t any settlers and gold rushers here until 1876, so the area doesn’t produce items older than that, but that period to around 1933 or so can be really interesting.

Absolutely, as your find attests to.....Sometimes it is the areas with the least expectations that yield the greatest treasures....Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• @windwhispersintrees said:
    First time out in 3-4 years...been busy with other stuff, lost interest, etc. This is from my yard...my house was built on an old farm...flat button from 19th century , with some hand forged iron, and some modern stuff lost by my kids and other junk.

what is that spool looking thing there in the middle? I found one of those too.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2020 1:43PM

@windwhispersintrees
    Nice finds :)

I just got back into it again this year - check out my ongoing thread of the last few weeks here:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1040392/ok-heres-my-plan#latest

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• @RalphieBK said:

@windwhispersintrees said:
    First time out in 3-4 years...been busy with other stuff, lost interest, etc. This is from my yard...my house was built on an old farm...flat button from 19th century , with some hand forged iron, and some modern stuff lost by my kids and other junk.

• RalphieBKRalphieBK Posts: 5
    edited July 30, 2020 1:44PM

I'm sorry...I quoted something when I should have not. Don't know how to take it off. can somebody help me?

what is that spool looking thing there in the middle? I found one of those too.

Is there a hole or screw driver slot in the other side of the spool?
    It looks like a piece of hardware for attaching furniture pieces together.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

@RalphieBK
    I don't think you can remove it but you can edit it by clicking on that gear icon next to the date/time, then click edit.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko @WildIdea @metaldetectinghound3 @1630Boston Yeah I'm out there swingin, diggin, sweating! Okay time to put our thinking caps on. Dug this cute pin at 6" . Old stone foundation, bank barn turned into house. The pin is copper or bronze, 17mm, no markings on back. Obv is a lidded pitcher with handle strongly resembles Frankoma style pottery from 1930's. Sent images to Frankoma co., they said nope. Whatcha think? Hydrate or die. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

Nice pin Roy.... However, I have no idea what it represents.....certainly a prized pin though, even has the pin locking device. Hopefully someone will have some information... you may be able to google the image also. Cheers, RickO

I'm thinking early 20th C. based on the mechanism. Patina is really nice, soil was loamy with no corrosion to speak of. It cleaned off beautifully. This ground has been giving up a wide variety of items from late 18th C. forward so no help there.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

@Namvet69 said:
    @ricko @WildIdea @metaldetectinghound3 @1630Boston Yeah I'm out there swingin, diggin, sweating! Okay time to put our thinking caps on. Dug this cute pin at 6" . Old stone foundation, bank barn turned into house. The pin is copper or bronze, 17mm, no markings on back. Obv is a lidded pitcher with handle strongly resembles Frankoma style pottery from 1930's. Sent images to Frankoma co., they said nope. Whatcha think? Hydrate or die. Peace Roy

I don’t know either, but I would be tickled to have found it!

@WildIdea So I finally cleaned up the relics I dug at oyster cove while recovering the large quantity of IHC and wheaties. In no particular order: hatpin, gilt earring, gilt necklace bracket, gilt cufflink, gilt heart charm, fired pistol musket ball 10.5mm. It rained today, so ground moisture shall be helpful. The hunt continues. Peace Roy

Oops! Here's the image for the above post.

edited July 31, 2020 2:26PM

@Namvet69 said:
    @WildIdea So I finally cleaned up the relics I dug at oyster cove while recovering the large quantity of IHC and wheaties. In no particular order: hatpin, gilt earring, gilt necklace bracket, gilt cufflink, gilt heart charm, fired pistol musket ball 10.5mm. It rained today, so ground moisture shall be helpful. The hunt continues. Peace Roy

I screen shotted your pin and uploaded into the picture tool on eBay search. All that came back similar was food molds.

@WildIdea I've never done that before. Thanks for trying. Peace Roy

Go on eBay search, there is a little camera icon inside corner of search or the right. Click on that and it pulls up your camera roll. Choose photo and it pulls up like items. It’s pretty awesome tool. I use it a lot for items I don’t know the names of.

Pretty diverse finds Roy... and better than pull tabs for sure. Good luck in your next search... Cheers, RickO