Home Metal Detecting
Options

OK----Here's my plan

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Sportsmans club that I shoot at has been there since 1944.
Prior to that it was a New England farm.
Here's a topo from 1943 and one from 1988.
The trains have long since stopped running and the rights of way are bike trails now.
This building could have been part of the farm or it could have been associated with the Railroad.
I'll let you know how I make out detecting here although I'm not sure when I will have the time :)

PS I'm sure @ricko would be proud of my detective research here.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston Great work...Might be some good stuff around the old building foundation... Might be some picnic areas around the pond too.... Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think your onto something, all the best with that (will keep an eye here for results)

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Make sure you bring the bug repellent.
    Deer flies are bad.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like your research. So my "oyster cove" is a picnic-rest area close to a former railroad right of way. Early on I dug 2 metal wood splitting wedges forged out of railroad spikes. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Ok, so this is going to be a long duration thread because I only get 10 minutes per day to detect. [don't ask].
    Yesterday in 10 minutes I found a 1989 Lincoln.

Today I found 2 more Memorial Lincolns and a 1939 Mercury Dime [XF except for the scratches I put on it, can't wait for my pinpointer to arrive.

This is where the 'building" once was:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options

Nice... a silver Merc is great... Sounds like a lunch break MD session... (I won't ask ;) )....Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:

Sounds like a lunch break MD session... (I won't ask ;) )....Cheers, RickO

Pretty close.

Over the last 30 years I have driven past this little plot of 'lawn' thousands of times on my way to the range and never would have thought there would be silver there.

The dime was about 4" deep, soaking in acetone this weekend so that you will be able to see all of the scratches I put on it..............next time I will wait until I get home to see what I've found. :)

• Options

Nice old Merc.... with the proof of your 'recovery' process.... :D;) Good find...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

better than I've done in quite a while...........Not many dimes laying around in the desert.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

1979 Lincoln Cent today, under the same pine tree that the other three were found.

• Options

@1630Boston .... Seems that pine tree may have been a romantic spot....though the individuals were not carrying much change... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's so cool, you've got a good plan, a treasure hunt, some treasure already.....looks like fun. Definitely going to put this on my list of things to do!

• Options

You should if you have the time @Onastone

• Options

How bout detecting early in the morning or end of day? Can you find more time at either end? Are you digging with a trowel or shovel? I can't imagine only 10 minutes to detect. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Another resource to find where wood building used to be, At the turn of the century, many municipalities were surveyed and mapped to show all standing wooden structures as part of fire insurance risk studies. Peace Roy

• Options

Found on this 2500 square foot site so far.

Lincoln Memorials 7
    Lincoln Wheat 1
    Roosevelt Clad 3
    Mercury Dime 1 [1939]

other:
    old nails at 8" deep
    RR Ties @ 4" deep.

• Options

@1630Boston ...Nice finds so far... Now to dig a Morgan... or a Barber half.... ;) Well, it could happen. A fellow I know here in this little village, MD'd a village lot - borders on a colonial home, used for sports etc., and many have detected it.... he found a Barber half near the edge of the field. Also an old, silver napkin holder (probably from a long ago picnic) which he turned over to the local historical site.... It was initialed with the old family initials. Cheers, RickO

• Options

10 minutes
    1941 Washington Quarter 6" deep in the same hole as some old nails.

Of course I put a big gouge in it with my trowel :#
    Pic tomorrow

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    How bout detecting early in the morning or end of day? Can you find more time at either end? Are you digging with a trowel or shovel? I can't imagine only 10 minutes to detect. Peace Roy

Working 12 hours a day at work, then 8 hours after work.

I'm using a pointed trowel @Namvet69 , is there a better way?

• Options

@1630Boston So, the shovel on the left is a Fiskars, built like a tank, leveraged some big field rocks out of holes to get to the goodies. And on the right is a custom made shovel I cut out of a discarded shovel with a broken off handle. Both cut out nice tight plugs of soil and turf to get the prize. I also use a Lesche type hand trowel with a serrated edge to cut roots. I think the Fiskars was $20 on prime. Peace Roy

• Options

Found on this small 2500 square foot site so far.

7 Lincoln Memorials
    1 Lincoln Wheat
    3 Roosevelt [Clad]
    1 Mercury Dime [Silver] [1939]
    1 Washington Quarter [Silver] [1941]

other:
    old nails at 6"- 8" deep
    RR Ties @ 4" deep.

• Options

Thanks for the sound advice @Namvet69

• Options

And this is what the place looks like early in the morning. :)

• Options

@1630Boston .... Looks like you compete for area with the deer and geese....At least it isn't lonely... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options

Got a Red Tailed Hawk nest directly overhead also, gotta keep an eye [and an ear] out for approaching danger :)

• Options
    edited July 29, 2020 10:34AM

Today:
    2 Lincoln Memorials
    1 clad dime :)

Totals
    [10 minutes per day since 7/10/20]

9 Lincoln Memorials
    1 Lincoln Wheat
    4 Roosevelt [Clad]

other:
    old nails at 6"- 8" deep
    RR Ties @ 4" deep.

• Options
    edited July 30, 2020 4:02AM

Today:
    1 Lincoln Memorials
    2 clad dimes in the same hole :)
    1 Modern Quarter [Vermont]

Totals
    [10 minutes per day since 7/10/20] ** 8 coins per hour**

10 Lincoln Memorials
    1 Lincoln Wheat
    6 Roosevelt [Clad]
    1 Washington Quarter [Clad]

other:
    old nails at 6"- 8" deep
    RR Ties @ 4" deep.

• Options

well-researched Information and excellent wording. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much for sharing

• Options

Today
    2 clad dimes
    1 Clad Quarter

**Total ** = 23 coins
    [10 minutes per day since 7/10/20] ** 9.2 coins per hour **

10 Lincoln Memorials
    1 Lincoln Wheat
    8 Roosevelt [Clad]
    2 Washington Quarter [Clad]

other:
    old nails at 6"- 8" deep
    RR Ties @ 4" deep.
    ornament from a car [oldsmobile ??]
    Old Gas Cap
    spent 22 caliber shell @ 7"

• Options

You have had very productive ten minute stints... and your CPH (Coins Per Hour) exceed many MD'rs sessions for a day....Cheers, RickO

• Options

Final totals for this site that turned out to be only about 1500 sf in area, quite small.
    On to the next site :)

Final totals
    11 Lincoln Memorials
    1 Lincoln Wheat
    9 Roosevelt [Clad]
    2 Washington Quarter [Clad]

other:
    old nails at 6"- 8" deep
    RR Ties @ 4" deep.
    ornament from a car [oldsmobile ??]
    Old Gas Cap
    spent 22 caliber shell @ 7"

• Options

Quite a good quantity and assortment from such a small area. And silver is always welcome...especially today, went over $28/Toz.. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dude! You're getting rich! ;)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

@Bochiman
    You must be enjoying the rise in metal prices, Perfect timing for the purpose you bought them for :)

• Options

PS @Bochiman , if you were still in New England you might have a use for a metal detector.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    PS @Bochiman , if you were still in New England you might have a use for a metal detector.

Hellsya. If I were there, with the rich history and all, I would definitely be doing it.
    Around here, there are some spots, but the excitement just isn't there. I haven't gone anywhere "cool", but I did strike out at a school or two and I did find a whole dime/quarter (clads) locally...and a couple hot wheel style corroded cars and a corroded SHQ in Hawaii a handful of years ago.

And, you are right about the metals....sold a couple ounces to help prep for year 1.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    edited August 14, 2020 9:22AM

OK, Still allotting just 10 minutes per day detecting.
    Changed location to a spot about 2,000 feet from the original spot, still on the 40 acres of gun club property.
    This spot shows there was another building here in the 1940's. [the well is still there]

This week,
    6 cents
    3 dimes
    5 quarters
    and............today.....................1942 Mercury Dime ! :)

All of these at 6" - 7" deep

• Options

Nice finds for ten minutes. And a silver dime - of a VERY good year ;) Cheers, RickO