Home U.S. Coin Forum

What can I use to get this glue off the coin

PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have tried acetone
Xylene, goo Gone, coin care, and a tar remover for autos.
Any ideas?

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Comments

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

You’ve tried what I would have suggested. Do you think it might be krazy glue or some other type of cyanocrylate?

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Methyl Ethyl Ketone. (MEK)

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Google says acetone should dissolve super glue or krazy glue. Good luck.

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DollarAfterDollar said:

I have not
    how is this different from the other stuff I have used?

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• @PTVETTER said:

I have tried acetone
    Xylene, goo Gone, coin care, and a tar remover for autos.
    Any ideas?

When you wrote that you tried... What does that mean? Did you soak the coin or dab it on? Also, that stuff looks like it is hard and fairly thick. Put the coin in the freezer over night and it may chip right off with a fingernail. I bet you can't hurt the coin if you suspended it in boiling water and then put the chemicals on it while it was hot.

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Methylene chloride

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

MEK will evaporate a little slower than acetone, and that might make a difference, but probably not.

Turpentine possibly. I wouldn't try methylene chloride, but maybe 1,1,1-trichroroethane since it is aliphatic and less likely to react. However, I'm not sure it's a good idea to introduce a chlorinated solvent to silver anyway, as far as the coin's brilliant surface goes.

I forget the solvent, but maybe the solvent in Spot Shot which is in a different solvent class. It's something sounding like ethoxyethanol but it also has another name like 2-ethylbutanol, something like that.

I'm a bit surprised that xylene didn't touch it.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lacquer thinner maybe.

I knew a collector who was trying to get some gunk like that off a coin. They told me that they had tried everything and nothing worked. I asked if he had tried water ? No, he hadn't. So he put the coin under that tap and it worked immediately. Water is a solvent and it sometimes works on things that are unaffected by "organic" solvents.

That said, your gunk doesn't look water soluble, but it is worth a try if you haven't tried it yet.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would soak a week in acetone in sealed jar, then wood handled cotton swab roll on tape/glue

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it really worth the effort? Sometimes the best idea of all may just be to sell it as a "cull" and move along.

All glory is fleeting.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't see coin dip (e-z-est, tarnx, jewel luster, etc) in the list of chemicals that you tried. A quick dip shouldn't hurt the coin and is worth a try.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Warm the glue to lower it viscosity then try removing the glue with acetone.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pat, my experience working with Rich presented me many coins like the one pictured. my efforts were typically unsuccessful with stuff like what you've pictured, with the substance so adhered to the coin that nothing short of actual scrubbing will remove it.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the closed jar of acetone for several days. Acetone will not damage that coin. IMO. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DollarAfterDollar said:

MEK is a suspected carcinogen and is no longer available. The MEK substitute is useless.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

How long did you soak in acetone? Probably needs a long soak (in a covered glass petri dish)...Then a rose thorn to probe the edges and it should start to move...maybe soak again after probing gets it started. The surface under there will likely look quite different than the rest of the coin once removed. Cheers, RickO

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heat. Low heat, using a heated glue gun. Gingerly go over the area dabbing it with a cotton ball. You can also use a hair dryer although it'll take longer. Patience and perseverance. Don't be in a hurry and take your time for positive results.

• @davewesen said:
    I would soak a week in acetone in sealed jar, then wood handled cotton swab roll on tape/glue

@CaptHenway said:
    Soak it in a tightly sealed glass jar in acetone for 2-3 days and then gently push the now-soft glue sideways with a q-tip. Roll it up onto the q-tip and lift up away from coin.

Remember that acetone is highly flammable, and will wreck the finish of wood and most plastics.

The shiny rectangle where the tape was will not go away.

He said he tried acetone. That's why I asked him if he soaked it.

• @291fifth said:
    Is it really worth the effort? Sometimes the best idea of all may just be to sell it as a "cull" and move along.

@keets said:
    Pat, my experience working with Rich presented me many coins like the one pictured. my efforts were typically unsuccessful with stuff like what you've pictured, with the substance so adhered to the coin that nothing short of actual scrubbing will remove it.

I think both of you have given very bad advice. First, IMO, the coin is not a cull. The second suggestion is something a coin dealer or non collector would do. Thats one reason why so many of our coins have been ruined for future collectors!

The second suggestion is something a coin dealer or non collector would do.

you may have inferred something from my post but I certainly didn't suggest anything.

• @keets said:
    The second suggestion is something a coin dealer or non collector would do.

you may have inferred something from my post but I certainly didn't suggest anything.

You are correct. I apologize. I don't want to make any enemies here. Thanks for the correction: You did not say to scrub the coin. I think all of us will learn something here when the substance comes of without scrubbing and a mild dip to restore an even color to the coin's reverse proves it is not a cull.

@Pearlsbefore said:

@291fifth said:

@keets said:

I think both of you have given very bad advice. First, IMO, the coin is not a cull. The second suggestion is something a coin dealer or non collector would do. Thats one reason why so many of our coins have been ruined for future collectors!

As long as the glue is on it it IS a "cull". Collectors waste time and money trying to save coins that are beyond hope. Even if removed the glue stain pattern will remain on the coin and make it ugly.

All glory is fleeting.

I will try some of them!

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks like tape. If there is tape still over the top of the glue, that prevents the solvent easily getting to the glue underneath. I cleaned a similar peace dollar just a couple weeks ago. I used acetone and a fingernail. It was necessary to apply mechanical pressure to remove it.

For your consideration...

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who among us has not experimented and sacrificed a coin to learn about debris and crud removal. I gained much insight and understanding by doing this. Just saying. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• @291fifth said:

@Pearlsbefore said:

@291fifth said:

@keets said:

As long as the glue is on it it IS a "cull". Collectors waste time and money trying to save coins that are beyond hope. Even if removed the glue stain pattern will remain on the coin and make it ugly.

I think you are mistaken. I may not know as much as you do but AFAIK, a CULL is a damaged coin. IMO, the coin is not damaged. I'll bet PCGS conservation could remove the glue from that BU coin and straight grade it.

If there is tape still over the top of the glue, that prevents the solvent

I hadn't considered that.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just use Coin Remover. That should save the adhesive anyway.

Seriously though, I've found that the best adhesive remover is actually the adhesive itself. This looks like tape, so I would use a packing tape to stick down over the affected area and gently pull up, it may just pull old adhesive right off without damaging the coin.

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glass Jar with lid, put coin in jar, cover with acetone, let soak at least overnight. No need to scrub. The acetone will eventually weaken the bond and the tape backing will flake off, exposing the now gummy adhesive. Using a Q-TIp while still immersed in the acetone, gently agitate away the remaining adhesive. If there is a remaining toning outline, once the acetone has dried dip it in EZest (Jeweluster) to remove.
    Then you will have a coin still worth exactly the same as it was worth with the tape on it. B)

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

@Pearlsbefore said:

@291fifth said:

@Pearlsbefore said:

@291fifth said:

@keets said:

I think you are mistaken. I may not know as much as you do but AFAIK, a CULL is a damaged coin. IMO, the coin is not damaged. I'll bet PCGS conservation could remove the glue from that BU coin and straight grade it.

Conservation services are expensive!

All glory is fleeting.

@291fifth said:

@Pearlsbefore said:

@291fifth said:

@Pearlsbefore said:

@291fifth said:

@keets said:

Conservation services are expensive!

The cost of two way shipping alone is expensive enough. Acetone is cheap enough.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pearlsbefore said:

@davewesen said:

@CaptHenway said:
    Soak it in a tightly sealed glass jar in acetone for 2-3 days and then gently push the now-soft glue sideways with a q-tip. Roll it up onto the q-tip and lift up away from coin.

Remember that acetone is highly flammable, and will wreck the finish of wood and most plastics.

The shiny rectangle where the tape was will not go away.

He said he tried acetone. That's why I asked him if he soaked it.

Exactly. I have seen this type of glue before, from a certain grade of cellophane tape sold (I would guess based upon coin albums I have seen it used in) from circa 1960 to circa 1970. The glue hardened and separated from the cellophane, leaving behind this brittle glue that is a bear to remove.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had success with GooGone. Let it soak for a few minutes and carefully remove it. It may take a couple of attempts to get most of it. Once done let the effected area soak in WD40. Also carefully remove. I've done this with similar coins and it hasn't damaged the surface including luster and sometimes toning.

peacockcoins

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be most inclined to put it on eBay starting at $.99, as is. Call it the "golden eagle peace dollar specimen". Say it is rare.

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it soft or hard the substance? If its hard it may be brittle. How about putting it in the freezer for a few hours and then pour boiling water on it. Maybe it will crack the glue.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing the other side has nice toning or a 28 on it.
    Have you tried gasoline?

Collector, occasional seller

@ChrisH821 said:
    Have you tried gasoline?

I would NEVER use gasoline?
    That is dangerous very dangerous!!!!!

@PTVETTER said:

@ChrisH821 said:
    Have you tried gasoline?

Is gas more flammable than acetone which is extremely flammable?

most of the suggestions thus far have either been tried by Pat and proved ineffective or just won't work on what seems like what the Captain said, glue residue that may be 40-50 years old. it can prove nearly impossible to remove.

@PerryHall said:

@PTVETTER said:

@ChrisH821 said:
    Have you tried gasoline?

I'd say it's about the same. Treat either one with respect and there is no problem. I've never used it but have seen it used on silver.

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2020 4:32PM

Heat up coin,,, dip in acetone,,,,,, BLOW-UP your house. :o

Be careful,,,,,, acetone is flammable.

Edited to add: Collect the insurance and buy a bigger house and a better coin. ;)

GrandAm :)

@GRANDAM said:
    Heat up coin,,, dip in acetone,,,,,, BLOW-UP your house. :o

Be careful,,,,,, acetone is flammable.

So is xylene. MEK is only "moderately explosive" according to wikipedia, though.
    Pretty much everything we use is dangerous in one way or another.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you use MEK wear gloves that stuff is very nasty on your insides like liver and kidneys. Just saying

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@PTVETTER said:

@ChrisH821 said:
    Have you tried gasoline?

No. Acetone is probably more dangerous, especially in closed spaces.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Curious? What year is the coin?

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

common date I think it's a 1922

• panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a flask of toluene you can use.......but it reminds me of horse hide glue, and I was never able to address that in a previous hobby.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2020 5:56AM

Don't use any heat, all it will do is further cross-link the polymer and make it harder to remove. I doubt very much that it's a thermoplastic material.

Lacquer thinner (as DCarr suggests) or gasoline might be a possibility. There are many types of resins and many types of lacquers. There are also many types of lacquer thinners and many types of gasoline blends in terms of composition, so finding the right combo could simply be a trial & error process.

A 24 hour soak in a sealed glass container is all you need to find out if something will work.

All of these solvents are as flammable as gasoline, so the prime consideration is safety. And don't breathe whatever you are using. No open flame sources - period! Good ventilation. All of these solvents go through the liver, so limit your exposure. Gloves aren't a bad idea either.

MEK has been around a long time, so I question whether it's a carcinogen.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file