Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins

Comments

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PhilLynott said:
    All closing this Sunday, thanks for looking!

Not according to the links: Time left: 20d, 8h, 54m, 34s (Sun, Apr 12, 2020 08:28:50 PM Pacific Time)

• PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2020 12:49PM

@TwoKopeiki said:

@PhilLynott said:

Not according to the links: Time left: 20d, 8h, 54m, 34s (Sun, Apr 12, 2020 08:28:50 PM Pacific Time)

Hmmm that’s strange. Looks like they pushed back all listings and none are closing Sunday on entire site.

Thanks for the heads up!

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2020 4:35PM

@PhilLynott said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

@PhilLynott said:

Hmmm that’s strange. Looks like they pushed back all listings and none are closing Sunday on entire site.

Thanks for the heads up!

Not surprised considering the California and other states locking down. I would expect another push back as this COVID-19 gets worse.

BTW - nice looking coins.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

They sent an email, all auctions pushed back a couple weeks, I don't recall the specific details.

Okay now two weeks later we're closing up in 6 days, take a look some great stuff!

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice stuff 👏👏👏👏

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost time! Good luck!

For anyone curious about coin sales during corona days (I know I was! I mailed them out before it was a big thing here or I'd have held them probably) or even just world coins on GC in general. I submitted 11 coins the 7 in the OP plus 4 additional widgets.

Results were pretty mixed overall I lost around 14% and all coins were bought in the last 5 years or so. The widgets all got crushed, a $150 my cost coin went for $41, an $80 my cost for $20, etc. - both those would have done WAY better on ebay (hindsight....).

The PL 2R really got crushed too, I know that's a super common date but it's a real nice coin - a world coin dealer at Central States was in love with it when it was of course not for sale, hindsight again!

Had good results on two coins I bought with terrible pictures on ebay. I'm pretty much done on ebay with sales tax addition this year but still a lot of gold there if you wanna put in the hustle (I don't).

Overall pretty happy to be honest results were just about what I hoped based on everything.

Cheers.

I had sent in some 'fancy bullion' awhile back, and it sold in March. By the time they were listed the gold prices were all over the place, and the bidding seemed a bit conservative. That said, the service was excellent and the payment to me was sent well in advance of what was promised. It was just hard realizing that the timing ended up being suboptimal for sales, which has only been exacerbated. People are just more leery of spending when so much else is up in the air regarding income and what counts as 'disposable' income--and my fancy bullion was being valued as bullion (still given the price of gold it was a break even event for me).

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

Has others thought about first offering them on various forums and free sites before going to auction?
    For example, you can post them here, cointalk, reddit, and facebook which are all free and it puts you in direct contact with collectors. I've always had great success in selling my coins this way.

Then whatever does not sell, go to the ebay route, heritage, stacks, etc. I used airplanenut who sells on ebay under jkcoins for consignment and he gets very strong prices and has a lot of bidders for his world material. Never had a problem.

Lastly I might be the minority but I don't even write down what I pay for my coins as coins are not an investment to me, they are a hobby. I'm just happy I can get anything back from them, better than most hobbies and things that I could waste my money on honestly.

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.

I do list here first generally just don't get a lot of interest. A few in this thread I listed here went for quite a bit more than my asking and one went for less at GC.

I don't worry about ROI either I mean I did say I was happy with a -14% result lol I still am curious to keep track of that kind of stuff.

Just because I did not have the funds. Few magnificent coins.

• Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

I appreciate the follow up. This is good to know a lay of the land.

My current "Box of 20"

• cjdilegocjdilego Posts: 31 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am new to posting stuff but recently sent almost 90 lbs of silver coins to an investment company that was supposed to give me advice on the best way to sell them. About half are graded and the other half raw. They had the coins 4 months and finally called me with an offer of 12% of the suggested total value of all the coins. It really shocked me because that is less than melt value alone of the coins which are almost all in the MS60 to 70 ranges. Is this normal? Thanks for the comments above and I am glad that I had them all sent back to me.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cjdilego said:
    Hi, I am new to posting stuff but recently sent almost 90 lbs of silver coins to an investment company that was supposed to give me advice on the best way to sell them. About half are graded and the other half raw. They had the coins 4 months and finally called me with an offer of 12% of the suggested total value of all the coins. It really shocked me because that is less than melt value alone of the coins which are almost all in the MS60 to 70 ranges. Is this normal? Thanks for the comments above and I am glad that I had them all sent back to me.

Depends on the coins. Do you have the list ? You should be able to approximate value for stabbed coins relatively easily even if you go with something like an eBay sold items archive to do so.

@cjdilego said:

My first reaction:
    An investment company? Sending coins to it? 4 MONTHS? 12%? BELOW MELT???? I hope you had a good inventory because this sounds beyond sketchy and I'd be wondering where my coins were as I'd be wanting them back. If they even still have them or will take your calls.

This sounds horrible. Junk silver by weight is easy enough to sell on the boards, to one of the big guys like APMEX. If it's not 90% then harder. Shoot I would suspect with 90 pounds you could have done better at a WE BUY GOLD AND SILVER type place. And eBay. Slabbed stuff even better.

That said, perhaps your valuation is off and the offer is closer to reality once the cost of moving the items is taken into consideration. And, if by below melt you are talking 98%, again not super unreasonable if it's not generic 90% and needs to be cracked to go to the smelter. That takes work.

Can you share an inventory and maybe get some other opinions. It really does sound a bit sketchy. It's hard to imagine and investment company (vs. a dealer), 12% seems way too low, and below melt in the current market makes me also wonder. I mean are we at 98% vs. 75% below?

4 months does not inspire confidence. At all. And is probably the most concerning factor without knowing any more.