Home Q & A Forum

1982 p quarter ddo and ddr. Thoughts??

Comments

• Seriously? I'm still downloading your images, but have not seen any doubling yet.

• Why wouldn’t I be serious? Sorry so many pictures, they aren’t the best quality is why I posted so many.

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like machine doubling. Notice how everything is flat and shelf like. There may be some die deterioration doubling as well. Regardless, these not considered mint errors.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2019 11:18AM

Also....

While there are a few coins known with both DDO and DDR, it is extremely unlikely that a DD coin would have both. If there is perceived doubling on both dies that is to me a big clue that it is almost certainly MD.

• giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭

Thoughts are you dont do any research and read previous posts that you have.made.

• Sure don’t. Thanks For noticing :D

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

The letters and date along the circumference of the quarter looks like they were worn down by coin roll crimpers (more than once). Notice how some of the marks appear to follow in a circular pattern with the circumference of rim of the coin.

Example vid: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L0ndUfyBgCY

• Dont listen to every know it all who comments on your post. It certainly is DDO. In 1982 all the master dies at all three mints were double hubbed and every quarter and proof quarter therefore is a doubled die variety. That makes it probably the easiest Doubled die variety to run across in pocket change and when hunting rolls which of course that means a lower premium, condition is everything for the 82s and then still the wont get big numbers from buyers. Good find though

• @sharonnicole said:
    Sure don’t. Thanks For noticing :D

Since the doubling is on the master die all 1982-P, 1982-D, and 1982-S Washington quarters will have this doubling. Apparent differences from coin to coin may result due to working hub wear, working die wear, and wear to the coins

• @JBK said:
    Also....

While there are a few coins known with both DDO and DDR, it is extremely unlikely that a DD coin would have both. If there is perceived doubling on both dies that is to me a big clue that it is almost certainly MD.

There are quite a few examples of DDR/DDO varieties out there. And 1982 Philadelphia minted quarters have one listed DDR, so as every 1982 quarter was struck by a doubled die, true, there is a possibility the OPs quarter is both DDR and DDO. It's up to him to do his die chart cross checks and research.

• As I take a closer look, the doubling on yours is definitely more that MD or die deterioration, if it was deterioration doubling that would make the R in the word quarter way larger on if the theorized deterioration wasnt present. But, while there is some die deterioration apparent theres also all the signs of double hubbing. I'm no professional and I beey well could be wrong but I'm confident in saying your coin is DDO (which can't be argued)and DDR as well. Good find for sure, ought to fetch a little more than the rest of the phili quarters, Denver mint also has one DDR variety listed that year so we know there is at least 2 coins that year where DDO/DDR is possible to find. Like I said, everyone thinks they're an expert when it comes to commenting in these forums, do your research and learn all you can of a working die and the minting process.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking MD.