Home U.S. Coin Forum

WOW silver proof set 2020 is expensive!

Comments

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

What else is new? The government gets big premiums for bullion.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

$63.25

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are they not adjusting for the price of silver anymore?

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Volume of sales may continue to suffer...

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:
    Volume of sales may continue to suffer...

Which may actually make this one of the few that sells, later, for above initial price......

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kiyote said:

They only do that with the bullion issues. The annual sets always stay the same price.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Irritates me that their listing has a misspelling....However, I will get one of these anyway. Cheers, RickO

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Proof sets from the 70s are still cheap. >:)

• Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kiyote said:

They’ll adjust if silver goes up, but sadly they won’t adjust if it goes down. They raised the prices from last year by five dollars because silver was around 18$ but now that it has gone down I feel they should reduce the price to last year’s.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Silver proof sets are market dogs. Why anyone continues to buy them mystifies me.

All glory is fleeting.

@291fifth said:
    Silver proof sets are market dogs. Why anyone continues to buy them mystifies me.

I like to have coins from each year. I’m am an old fashioned who likes Proof sets. I get one every year.

I used to collect both the clad and the silver, but I gave up on that several years ago. I only buy the silver one now. I kept getting beat up financially every year so I decided to cut my losses and get only the silver. At least it has some silver coins in it, and they are beautiful when they are not scratched up or spotted.

I have bought them from my local B&M dealer, but with The Plague in force, those plans have gone on hold. He let me paw though what he has to assemble a good set. This year, I might just throw the dice and see what the mint sends me.

When I was a dealer, I used to buy 10 sets and assemble the best one among the holders. When you buy only one, you have one shot to avoid getting “a dog” of a set.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought at least one of the silver proof sets every year from 1992 through 2012. I quit buying them in 2013. REASON: Got tired of returning sets with damaged coins, and debris inside the holders.

• AttumraAttumra Posts: 182 ✭✭✭

Just bought mine. Still Ouchy though I don't think they will sell for nearly what we paid for them. But they're for my kid anyways so she can do what she wants once I am gone.

• SenateSaloonSenateSaloon Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

The 2020 Silver Proof Set is currently unavailable. They sold the full 190k+ sets that were minted before the pandemic shut down the Westpoint Mint. They may mint more this year but who knows. So at least for now these might catch a bid, including the reverse proof W nickel.

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2020 10:30PM

for collecting point ........ IMHO they'll be breaking down for PF 70 nickel down the years ......

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not for me.

@SenateSaloon said:
    The 2020 Silver Proof Set is currently unavailable. They sold the full 190k+ sets that were minted before the pandemic shut down the Westpoint Mint. They may mint more this year but who knows. So at least for now these might catch a bid, including the reverse proof W nickel.

Maybe I am a “less equal pig” to put it in Orwellian terms. I ordered a set as soon as the site opened. They last I looked my order was still “pending.” Others have gotten their sets already. :/

MINE just yesterday says shipped. hopefully soon before the meteor hits? lol

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Attumra said:
    MINE just yesterday says shipped. hopefully soon before the meteor hits? lol

Which meteor? The one before or after the earthquakes?

edited April 26, 2020 10:02AM

There supposedly a meteor flying extremely close to earth possible hit from april26-29th with 29th being predicted date of issues.

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@SenateSaloon said:

Maybe I am a “less equal pig” to put it in Orwellian terms. I ordered a set as soon as the site opened. They last I looked my order was still “pending.” Others have gotten their sets already. :/

I just got an e-mail saying mine is being shipped, but not Fedex track number, so it's not out the door yet. Hope this gives you some hope for yours soon.

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate paying the price for these also but I started collecting the silver proofs sets when the statehood started in 1999. I only buy one set though. I still have to buy the clad proof sets though as I have them from 1955 to date.

• 59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

Got mine this past Friday. Have a "subscription" which might expedite things a bit.

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think I have bought 1 item from the mint this year! :o Last year I spent hundreds of $$$ dollars $$$ by now. :* I guess it’s going to be a boring year. Last item I bought from the mint was that Reverse whatcha ma call it that went for big money 💰 if you were lucky 🍀 enough to buy it. ;)

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

i remember selling mine for 50 dollars each when silver was 40 dollars/ounce, most with a 32 dollar issue price

edited April 26, 2020 6:39PM

@ernie11 said:

@BillJones said:

@SenateSaloon said:

I just got an e-mail saying mine is being shipped, but not Fedex track number, so it's not out the door yet. Hope this gives you some hope for yours soon.

I got an email that said my set has been shipped. From experience that means that it is sitting in a cart and might get mailed in a couple of weeks. In addition it has to go via FedEx to my local PO box, which you can add another weeK. Add to that the Corona virus delay, and I’ll be stringing up my Christmas lights when it arrives in my PO Box. But that might be faster than my local B&B dealer who might not be back all. :'(

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@ernie11 said:

@BillJones said:

@SenateSaloon said:

I got an email that said my set has been shipped. From experience that means that it is sitting in a cart and might get mailed in a couple of weeks. In addition it has to go via FedEx to my local PO box, which you can add another weeK. Add to that the Corona virus delay, and I’ll be stringing up my Christmas lights when it arrives in my PO Box. But that might be faster than my local B&B dealer who might not be back all. :'(

I've always gotten mine no later than a week.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

If anyone gets one but not wanting the pesky loose nickel, I would be interested in buying.

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to get the annual sets, but I got tired of high premiums and no after market.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not just the 2020 Silver Proof Set that's expensive. Any 2020 coin or set from our Mint is expensive. It's almost like punishment.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

@Mdcoincollector2003 said:

@kiyote said:

They’ll adjust if silver goes up, but sadly they won’t adjust if it goes down. They raised the prices from last year by five dollars because silver was around 18$ but now that it has gone down I feel they should reduce thweell welle price to last year’s.

When YOU try to flip the price has to drop. When the Mint flips to you, they know you too well. They charge you wharever they want too.

And of course you buy. Stop buying from the Mint. MAYBE the price drops? Doubtful.

• CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anything that you buy from the mint, at anytime, has ALWAYS been expensive.

@bsshog40 said:

@BillJones said:

@ernie11 said:

@BillJones said:

@SenateSaloon said:

I've always gotten mine no later than a week.

I have had commemorative sets, with the gold piece, sit for more than a week for a couple times.

@davewesen said:
    If anyone gets one but not wanting the pesky loose nickel, I would be interested in buying.

The trouble is, if you sell the nickel, the set will be incomplete and not worth the published bid prices if the set turns out to be good. A missing nickel would be worse than a missing Certificate of Authenticity.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2020 5:09AM

don't some people buy to put in their albums?

I frequently see 1996w dimes for sale alone.

@davewesen said:
    don't some people buy to put in their albums?

I frequently see 1996w dimes for sale alone.

Oh yes, you are going to see that. I am only saying that a set without the extra coin is broken and not worth the bid price.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mint always adjusts the price up, never down

Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file