Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Who explodes next?

Comments

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pjb103183 said:
    1998 Topps Chrome Peyton Manning and Randy Moss

I've got International Refractors that I cracked out of SGC 98 slabs that came back PSA 9s. I still need to crack those and send them back in. Probably a GD fingerprint.

Arthur

• Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭

Jason Kidd moving now on comc

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:

@pjb103183 said> @ndleo said:
    @Coarsegold said:
    1990 Leaf Frank Thomas PSA 10

Yup.

@mknez said:

Not the Leaf one, but noticed someone went in and bought every '90 Score Traded Frank Thomas rookie card off of Comc.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chaz43 said:
    I really think Don's time has come.

chaz

Could of used some airbrushing out (ears) on that card.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm seeing the recent surge in products like 1990 Hoops or 1990 Fleer Jordan PSA 10's and can't really believe it. There is a sea of this product out there in the world. Even 1989 Upper Deck baseball. I guess the "junk era" is having its day.

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 20, 2020 12:03PM

I also think 1991 topps stadium club should explode because of Brett Favre! Such a fun rip

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

@pjb103183 said> @ndleo said:
    @Coarsegold said:
    1990 Leaf Frank Thomas PSA 10

Yup.

@mknez said:

Not the Leaf one, but noticed someone went in and bought every '90 Score Traded Frank Thomas rookie card off of Comc.

what is deal with the Thomas psa 10 score rookies. for ever they stayed at 30.00 now they are going for 50.00 or more. I think that the bowman ten would be going for more but the score might pass it as Thomas second best rookie.

• Options
    edited April 21, 2020 3:55AM

I think it's a couple of factors. Score was the new kid on the block and let's face it, regular '90 Score was everywhere. The Traded set was not. I think it's a much more visually appealing card than the regular counter part and as with the '84 Puckett, the '86 Bonds or the us175 Trout, collectors have always had a thing for the "traded or update" series cards.

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

Michael Jordan. Lol.

9 sells for $11k last night and the PWCC one closing tonight is already over $12k.

I may be able to now do a 1:1 swap of my MJ for a 52 Mick PSA 1. Crazy.

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 485 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gronk has gone 🔥🔥🔥overnight

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

This guy exploded - too late to capitalize.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2020 10:27AM

I've seen significant increases in early 1990's Fleer BKB, Topps BKB, and Skybox since the Jordan doc. I haven't seen the same in Upper Deck or Hoops. Anyone else notice this?

EDIT: Excluding 1992-93, those are all up. 1990-1995

Mike
  • Options

@ndleo said:
    I've seen significant increases in early 1990's Fleer BKB, Topps BKB, and Skybox since the Jordan doc. I haven't seen the same in Upper Deck or Hoops. Anyone else notice this?

I've noticed similar problems across all brands from the era, including Hoops and UD. I got to the point where I just bit the bullet and paid a small premium to get the cards I wanted. Nothing like what these Jordan cards are doing but there are no more of what I wanted on eBay now so I'm glad I did it.

Arthur

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me if I don't get a card I want.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

Iginla

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:

@ndleo said:

I've noticed similar problems across all brands from the era, including Hoops and UD. I got to the point where I just bit the bullet and paid a small premium to get the cards I wanted. Nothing like what these Jordan cards are doing but there are no more of what I wanted on eBay now so I'm glad I did it.

Arthur

Hey Art - I was referring to unopened, but I assume the rise in the graded cards is driving demand for product. Even though it's hard for me to believe since I was active in that era, I think paying $50 for a 1991-1992 Skybox box to pull Jordans for PSA 10's doesn't seem like that bad of a deal. There are a lot of Jordans in both series of Skybox that year. I think we will soon be seeing a $100 box from that era.

Mike
  • Options

@ndleo said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

@ndleo said:

Arthur

Hey Art - I was referring to unopened, but I assume the rise in the graded cards is driving demand for product. Even though it's hard for me to believe since I was active in that era, I think paying $50 for a 1991-1992 Skybox box to pull Jordans for PSA 10's doesn't seem like that bad of a deal. There are a lot of Jordans in both series of Skybox that year. I think we will soon be seeing a $100 box from that era.

Ah, my bad, Mike. One of the unopened issues that I used to follow for a while is 1990 Hoops. I just opened a bunch of it as a kid and always liked it. I probably started shopping for it about a year ago but always ended up getting outbid. At first, my point of view was "there's a ton of this stuff, no way I'm paying more than $10/ea delivered for series 1 or series 2." I was mostly looking at lots of 3-6 boxes hoping to piggyback on shipping since I knew I wasn't going to find single boxes at that rate.

Listing after listing I got outbid. I ended up with just about everything else you can imagine -- 1989 Hoops Series 2, 1989 Pro Set football, 1991 Hoops Series 1 & 2, 1990 Skybox, 1991 Skybox, you name it. In all my buying I only ended up with one box each of 1990 Hoops. Now I look at the prices and just can't bring myself to pay it. I have no doubt that there will come a day in the future when I'll look back at this post and wish I had just bit the bullet.

Arthur

• Options
    BigMKBigMK Posts: 93 ✭✭

Gretzky - Although his rookie is already through the roof, I started to see an increase in many of his key 80's O-Pee-Chee cards and I anticipate they will continue to climb. Hockey is undervalued in comparison to all other sports cards, but Gretzky is the Jordan of his sport and I believe many of his cards are undervalued.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mknez said:

As a Bucks fan the name Jason Kidd makes me cringe.. talking about his coaching career..

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:

@ndleo said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

@ndleo said:

Arthur

Ah, my bad, Mike. One of the unopened issues that I used to follow for a while is 1990 Hoops. I just opened a bunch of it as a kid and always liked it. I probably started shopping for it about a year ago but always ended up getting outbid. At first, my point of view was "there's a ton of this stuff, no way I'm paying more than $10/ea delivered for series 1 or series 2." I was mostly looking at lots of 3-6 boxes hoping to piggyback on shipping since I knew I wasn't going to find single boxes at that rate.

Listing after listing I got outbid. I ended up with just about everything else you can imagine -- 1989 Hoops Series 2, 1989 Pro Set football, 1991 Hoops Series 1 & 2, 1990 Skybox, 1991 Skybox, you name it. In all my buying I only ended up with one box each of 1990 Hoops. Now I look at the prices and just can't bring myself to pay it. I have no doubt that there will come a day in the future when I'll look back at this post and wish I had just bit the bullet.

Arthur

I know. It was so obvious it was sitting right in front of us the whole time. With the price of modern product, I realized that the days of buying a box and pulling a few Jordans were over. Those 1989-1993 boxes were such junk for so long that they had no where to go but up.

Mike
  • Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

@ndleo said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

@ndleo said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

@ndleo said:

Arthur

Arthur

I know. It was so obvious it was sitting right in front of us the whole time. With the price of modern product, I realized that the days of buying a box and pulling a few Jordans were over. Those 1989-1993 boxes were such junk for so long that they had no where to go but up.

I've been able to buy a good number of 1991 series 2 and 1992 Skybox sets off Craigslist for $6 each...in the 1991 Skybox series 2, you get 6 different Jordans in each set, so obviously doesn't take much to recoup each $6 after grading the best candidates...many times I find newspapers in the sets from 1991 and 1992, so I know the cards have been sitting in those boxes untouched since way back when....

• Options
    GreedoguyGreedoguy Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

So after hearing about the explosion of semi-modern rookie card prices, I went an researched some that I had in my sets. The 1986 Fleer basketball, mostly across the board, have gone insane. Last I updated prices for Barkley, Olajuwon, Malone and I Thomas, they were still in the $100 to $200 (Barkley) range. The recent closed prices on these in PSA 9 were 3x to 4x that. That being said, James Worthy cards are still very, very affordable in the $150 to $175 range. Stickers from the 1986 set are also crazy.

• Options

No one is going to have much discretionary money to buy cards and drive the market before too long. We are headed towards a depression unless this ends soon. 26 million unemployed don’t lie.

• Options
    empigtvempigtv Posts: 58 ✭✭

@TheCrisser said:
    No one is going to have much discretionary money to buy cards and drive the market before too long. We are headed towards a depression unless this ends soon. 26 million unemployed don’t lie.

I couldn’t agree more. The recent explosion in prices discussed above reads to me as people blowing their stimulus check as the ship is sinking. The smart money would be to sell your Jordans and Pippens now so you can buy Russells and Mikans at 50% off in 6 months.

• Options

Man, it takes forever for that sky to get here. Must have been waaaaaaay up there.

• Options

@blurryface said:
    Man, it takes forever for that sky to get here. Must have been waaaaaaay up there.

I don't see their comments in that context. I thought they were just providing the other side of the coin perspective, which is always good to have. I'm not saying I agree with everything they said but their comments were measured and reasonable.

Arthur

• Options
    edited April 24, 2020 8:06AM

@ReggieCleveland said:

@blurryface said:

I don't see their comments in that context. I thought they were just providing the other side of the coin perspective, which is always good to have. I'm not saying I agree with everything they said but their comments were measured and reasonable.

Arthur

I wasn't speaking of the Crisser's context solely in this thread, rather his entire body of work as a whole on this particular subject. Perhaps do a little more homework on your end first and actually look at both sides of that coin next time? And for the record, since you don't seem to know, I actually like The Crisser. He's a funny dude. The world needs heels and he's a great one!

Oh. And by the way. Your borrowed tag line "measured and reasonable" literally gave me a mirthless chuckle out loud though. Thank you.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been a little busy keeping my "non essential" but essential to me and employees business open and running while flipping a double bird to our dimwit Gov-ner but I did some looking last night at 4 cards:

1982 Topps Lawrence Taylor PSA 8-10.
    1989 Score Barry Sanders PSA 10
    1989 Score Troy Aikman PSA 10
    1989 Score Deion Sanders PSA 10.

some rampant shilling on the Troy and Deion's in the PWCC Auction Thursday notwithstanding there's some mini explosion in recent sales, if legit..
    Barry's Score rookie reminds me sorta/kinda of Griffs 89 UD in that there are no shortage of them. Maybe $1100 for a Barry 10 becomes a new normal, if legit..
    LT'S 82 T has likely been held down by a myriad of LT off field reasons but his PSA 8-10's are moving, though with less explosion than the 89 Score Holy Trinity.

• Options

Good stuff, men. Enjoy your weekend!

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

This has gotten nuts.

89 Score Aikman, Barry, Deion
    90 Score Emmitt
    84 Fleer Update Puckett
    82 Topps Lawrence Taylor
    98 Sp Authentic Peyton Manning

Are all ones I have checked with exponential movement over 2 months ago. I own all of these cards of course because they are what I collect. I am not looking to sell deal or flip. Even though this is a bubble that will not hold. I subbed a lot of these myself and it means something to me to keep.

Ones that are rather stable
    1981 Topps Joe Montana
    2011 Topps Mike Trout
    1986 Topps Jerry Rice PSA 9

Lots of money pouring in but if they are doing this to make money they are in for a rude awakening with a market correction

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    MoonmanMoonman Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

A Jerry Rice rookie gem 10 just sold yesterday for just under 27K if that's not an explosion then I don't know what is

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if mentioned: 1990 leaf Frank Thomas is at $400.
    I suspect piazza, canseco, bonds (maybe), Clemens all will be next.

The SP Arod has a little upward momentum (psa 9)

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frank Thomas at 400!! I had no clue. I remember picking one up in 2015 and thinking I over paid at $82.00.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBrules said:
    Frank Thomas at 400!! I had no clue. I remember picking one up in 2015 and thinking I over paid at $82.00.

OMG

This was just a $100 card not that long ago.

The Big Hurt was awesome just never would have guessed it would zoom like this.

• Options

It's a great RC!
    Currently 5 auctions going, all over $300 with plenty of days remaining

• Options

In November I bought a ton of 80s and early 90s sets.

I sent a few of the cards off in a standard sub but most went into bulks

I got the 3 key 84 Fleer Update RC s back but a lot of these cards that are popping off are in 1 of 3 bulks sitting at PSA now. I really am jonesing to get them back, earliest one was logged on 12/15 next one in January third in March. I also have a 4th and 5th sub ready to go one is a renewal and the other is a bulk once the doors swing wide again. I do not see pricing holding up but who knows where anything is going.

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:

@blurryface said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

@blurryface said:

Arthur

I wasn't speaking of the Crisser's context solely in this thread, rather his entire body of work as a whole on this particular subject. Perhaps do a little more homework on your end first and actually look at both sides of that coin next time? And for the record, since you don't seem to know, I actually like The Crisser. He's a funny dude. The world needs heels and he's a great one!

I should do a little more homework on the subtext of your post? How am I supposed to know you were referring to his "entire body of work as a whole?" (That's redundant, by the way.) You made no reference to anything anyone said outside this thread but I'm supposed to "do a little more homework" and read your mind?

What did you get banned for?

Arthur

It's the Crisser. Everything he's said is implied. Duh. How long have you been here?

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:

@JBrules said:

OMG

Inaugural rebirth year with a clean & classic design that was well ahead of its time. Both series of boxes have been getting swiftly picked up as soon as they are listed.

• Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:

@JBrules said:

OMG

Looks like all of his RCs are seeing a significant increase in value all of a sudden !

• Options

The rookie trio of boggs, gwynn, & sandberg seem to fly under the radar.
    Outstanding pre-bubble rookies. It'll be interesting if they get caught up in the hype.
    I recently picked up the donruss versions of boggs & sandberg

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

I think the 1991 top stadium club Brett Favre is still significantly undervalued and hasn’t caught fire yet. Maybe just baseball and basketball are going crazy now?

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options

@rtimmer said:
    I think the 1991 top stadium club Brett Favre is still significantly undervalued and hasn’t caught fire yet. Maybe just baseball and basketball are going crazy now?

There seems to be a huge gap in football cards where there is just absolutely no interest. I know of plenty of vintage football collectors and modern football collectors but basically anything post-1986 to active players seems to have a depressed market. Just about everything from the '90s is dirt cheap. From the '00s it feels like it's Brady and Brees and that's it. Even Tomlinson cards are cheap.

Arthur

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:

@rtimmer said:

There seems to be a huge gap in football cards where there is just absolutely no interest. I know of plenty of vintage football collectors and modern football collectors but basically anything post-1986 to active players seems to have a depressed market. Just about everything from the '90s is dirt cheap. From the '00s it feels like it's Brady and Brees and that's it. Even Tomlinson cards are cheap.

Arthur

Not the key ones

2001 Topps Chrome rcs
    Sp Authentic Rcs

• Options

@rexvos said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

@rtimmer said:

Arthur

Not the key ones

2001 Topps Chrome rcs
    Sp Authentic Rcs

Considering where he sits in the record books and the cultural impact he had I'd say they're pretty cheap compared to where something similar in baseball or basketball would be.

Arthur

• Options

The Leaf Thomas was down for too long as well. He was a dominate hobby figure for a while.> @ReggieCleveland said:

@rtimmer said:

Arthur

For the modern market, it's all about the QBs. The QB Rookies from 2016-2019 have been very strong and the 2020 class looks to be very interesting as well, 4 1st Rd QBs plus Jalen Hurts about to steal Wentz's job.

Once the 2015 QBs flamed out, that product is dead for now. I do think Winston may be able to come back, not sure about Mariota.

Mike
  • Options

@ReggieCleveland said:

@rexvos said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

@rtimmer said:

Arthur

Not the key ones

2001 Topps Chrome rcs
    Sp Authentic Rcs

Considering where he sits in the record books and the cultural impact he had I'd say they're pretty cheap compared to where something similar in baseball or basketball would be.

Arthur

2001 topps chrome Tomlinson PSA 9 went for $525 2001 Topps Chrome Pujols PSA 10 $325

Now the Tomlinson’s are all refractors so there is that. I would say that card is pretty pricey. Good luck finding a Reggie Wayne at a decent price as well

Could not find a price on a 10 Tomlinson but I would hazard to guess it would be similar to a nice used car.

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

90's inserts (scarce ones only ) and Alex Rodriquez.

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Albert Pujols - look at his stats from first ten years - 3 MVP’s and probably 4 more if not for “juiced up Bonds”. Compare his stats to anyone.
    Bill Russell - 11 Championships and his cards are scarce. Didn’t have the competition then, except for Chamberlain. Still, we talk Brady, Kareem, and Jordans 6 rings, Kobe, Magic, and Duncans 5, and Bird and Lebron’s 3, his cards have room to grow.

• Options

@rexvos said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

@rexvos said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

@rtimmer said:

Arthur

Not the key ones

2001 Topps Chrome rcs
    Sp Authentic Rcs

Arthur

2001 topps chrome Tomlinson PSA 9 went for $525 2001 Topps Chrome Pujols PSA 10 $325

Now the Tomlinson’s are all refractors so there is that. I would say that card is pretty pricey. Good luck finding a Reggie Wayne at a decent price as well

Could not find a price on a 10 Tomlinson but I would hazard to guess it would be similar to a nice used car.

Okay, fair enough.

I don't think that Tomlinson and Pujols are a good comp though. Not because of their relative stats but because of their impact on the cultural zeitgeist. Tomlinson was the go-to #1 overall pick throughout the entire birth and explosion of fantasy football. I know I went out and picked up a few of his rookies simply because I never got to draft and own him in fantasy.

I think when the time comes, Tomlinson will leap frog some players because of that cultural impact.

Arthur