rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2020 11:19AM

@ReggieCleveland said:

@rexvos said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

@rexvos said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

@rtimmer said:
    I think the 1991 top stadium club Brett Favre is still significantly undervalued and hasn’t caught fire yet. Maybe just baseball and basketball are going crazy now?

There seems to be a huge gap in football cards where there is just absolutely no interest. I know of plenty of vintage football collectors and modern football collectors but basically anything post-1986 to active players seems to have a depressed market. Just about everything from the '90s is dirt cheap. From the '00s it feels like it's Brady and Brees and that's it. Even Tomlinson cards are cheap.

Arthur

Not the key ones

2001 Topps Chrome rcs
    Sp Authentic Rcs

Considering where he sits in the record books and the cultural impact he had I'd say they're pretty cheap compared to where something similar in baseball or basketball would be.

Arthur

2001 topps chrome Tomlinson PSA 9 went for $525 2001 Topps Chrome Pujols PSA 10 $325

Now the Tomlinson’s are all refractors so there is that. I would say that card is pretty pricey. Good luck finding a Reggie Wayne at a decent price as well

Could not find a price on a 10 Tomlinson but I would hazard to guess it would be similar to a nice used car.

Okay, fair enough.

I don't think that Tomlinson and Pujols are a good comp though. Not because of their relative stats but because of their impact on the cultural zeitgeist. Tomlinson was the go-to #1 overall pick throughout the entire birth and explosion of fantasy football. I know I went out and picked up a few of his rookies simply because I never got to draft and own him in fantasy.

I think when the time comes, Tomlinson will leap frog some players because of that cultural impact.

Arthur

So were Larry Johnson, Priest Holmes and Daunte Culpepper. Pujols has one titles.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭✭

How about 2nd year cards? Still waiting for Jerry Rice to pick up on that one.

• Options
    Sundog605Sundog605 Posts: 14 ✭✭

Dennis Rodman and Scottie Pippen 1988 Fleer rookie cards have shot up significantly in recent weeks.

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

J Lo.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

With Frank Thomas and late 80s, early 90s basketball junk wax exploding, I’d say wrestling cards are due for a nice bump.

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

Coot Veal

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the problem (or celebration, depending on how you look at it) is right here in this thread. No criticism of the OP. I just mean, when a frenzy like what we're seeing now begins it basically affects everything else because everyone is asking this very question and coming up with their own answers. FOMO kicks in and they rush to acquire whatever they believe will bump next and the result is everything ends up bumping.

We've already seen pullback though. Look at the '89 Hoops David Robinson. That topped out over $300 and there were only a few available on eBay. Last I checked, there were 10 available, most at $299 but a few down to $279. No one was biting anymore at those price points once the card became easily available. Now it's a matter of seeing where the dust settles and where people are comfortable paying for it.

Arthur

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PatsGuy5000 said:
    Albert Pujols - look at his stats from first ten years - 3 MVP’s and probably 4 more if not for “juiced up Bonds”. Compare his stats to anyone.
    Bill Russell - 11 Championships and his cards are scarce. Didn’t have the competition then, except for Chamberlain. Still, we talk Brady, Kareem, and Jordans 6 rings, Kobe, Magic, and Duncans 5, and Bird and Lebron’s 3, his cards have room to grow.

Assuming that Pujols hasn't done something, is probably a big stretch. Too much $$$ not be to be the best you can be.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:

@rtimmer said:
    I think the 1991 top stadium club Brett Favre is still significantly undervalued and hasn’t caught fire yet. Maybe just baseball and basketball are going crazy now?

There seems to be a huge gap in football cards where there is just absolutely no interest. I know of plenty of vintage football collectors and modern football collectors but basically anything post-1986 to active players seems to have a depressed market. Just about everything from the '90s is dirt cheap. From the '00s it feels like it's Brady and Brees and that's it. Even Tomlinson cards are cheap.

Arthur

Here are few that might start going up: Ray Lewis, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Peyton. Football is so popular but the cards seem to struggle a bit.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

@olb31 said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

@rtimmer said:

Arthur

Here are few that might start going up: Ray Lewis, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Peyton. Football is so popular but the cards seem to struggle a bit.

98 Topps chrome Peyton Manning has been swiftly moving upward.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    With Frank Thomas and late 80s, early 90s basketball junk wax exploding, I’d say wrestling cards are due for a nice bump.

There have been some very strong sales this week. A PSA 8 1982 Hogan went for $1,385 and a Flair PSA 9 for $1,100.

The #2 registry set for the 1985 WWF Topps was sold on on EBAY in like two days for 3k. I thought was an aspirational price but it went quick and the seller listed a lot of PSA 10's and it went for over $500 quickly too.

There is a monster Hogan going off tonight. Very curious to see how it finishes.

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

Any bump in garbage pail kids? I know when I got back into collecting I was surprised at their prices but there doesn’t seem to be as much of a collecting community like there is for other cards.

For the record I don’t collect them now but I did when I was a kid.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

After watching these most recent episodes of The Last Dance on sunday night, it's pretty obvious which is the next RC card to go up in value real soon...... >:)

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

WNBA.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably won’t but i could see the o.j. Simpson rookie taking off in due time. Been flat forever. I think it should rRIDE alone with the 72 Erving rookie values but just stayed flat in 8-9 grade.
    Undervalued and i could see 9s being 2500ish and they are half that now.

• Options

@rcmb3220 said:
    Any bump in garbage pail kids? I know when I got back into collecting I was surprised at their prices but there doesn’t seem to be as much of a collecting community like there is for other cards.

For the record I don’t collect them now but I did when I was a kid.

Can't speak for anything other than 1985 1a & 1b. But Nasty Nick & Evil Eddie psa 9+, especially glossies, would meet the definition of exploded during the past year or so.

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:

@blurryface said:

There have been some very strong sales this week. A PSA 8 1982 Hogan went for $1,385 and a Flair PSA 9 for $1,100.

The #2 registry set for the 1985 WWF Topps was sold on on EBAY in like two days for 3k. I thought was an aspirational price but it went quick and the seller listed a lot of PSA 10's and it went for over $500 quickly too.

There is a monster Hogan going off tonight. Very curious to see how it finishes.

Which are pre-tax figures. Pretty confident the Hogan ended up with a $1500 price tag after it was all said and done.

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dpeck,

The Hogan went for $4,050. What were you expecting? Seems real strong.

• Options
    edited April 28, 2020 6:37PM

@balco758 said:
    Dpeck,

The Hogan went for $4,050. What were you expecting? Seems real strong.

I figured it had a shot to surpass the prior high of $4,600. That said BIN prices can many times go for more than a straight auction. The highest prior auction was just under 3k.

That said I think surpassing 4k for a wrestling card from the 80's is still awesome. A 7 went for $553.

I was very pleased to see the Flair 8 go for $471.78.

• Options

If you really think something is going to jump don't you keep it to yourself?

Arthur

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

The market makers are probably watching this thread for their next move.
    It's nice to see the iconic early '80s rookies get recognized: Henderson, Ripken, Gwynn.

Makes me wonder what the '84 Donruss Mattingly would do in the current market after it's big run-up during the past year.

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tiger Woods was the correct answer

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rexvos said:
    Tiger Woods was the correct answer

Absolute insanity. I'll list every card I own of his if this continues.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

From an unopened point of view, my favorite junk year is 1991-92 Basketball. The prices can still be had for relatively cheap, however they are more expensive now than even a few weeks ago. Boxes tend to be under $40 delivered and you get a lot of cards (36/15). There are no big rookies to drive up box values, the only HOF'er RC is Mutombo. However they are loaded with Jordan cards compared to 1990-91 and 1992-93+ product. The 1990-91 products typically had a base Jordan and maybe 1-2 subsets. The 1992-93 typically has only a couple of base Jordans and more harder to pull inserts.

The card companies went Jordan nuts in 1991-92. Each product is loaded with Jordan cards, mainly base and subsets, Fleer has 8 Jordans, Hoops 12, Skybox 11, and Upper Deck 8. You have a good chance of pulling at least a few Jordans per box.

Now I know that there is a lot of this stuff out there, but while I like to hang out with the premium products, I do like a good cheap rip. Right?

Mike
  • Options
    thatguy822thatguy822 Posts: 17
    edited April 29, 2020 5:01PM

I would be still be careful spending big $'s with any player tainted with steroids accusations (right or wrong) as that asterisk* in and of itself will always keep enough folks away to maintain a long term strong or explosion in popularity..... That doesn't mean those players don't have any cards that could see some nice gains short term during this sugar high but long term there just won't be enough interest to sustain those prices. Just my two cents. Thanks for listening

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

Sh$$ everyone on the message boards is talking their book.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

Even my 1987 Fleer Bonds PSA 10's are selling rapidly on ebay right now.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

My Harold Minor and Isaiah Rider rookies are poised to absolutely skyrocket.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• Options

Hope I am right on this one, but I bought a ton of LAMAR JACKSON cards in the last two days.

From all of the NFL draft grades that I have read, the Ravens had another fantastic draft last week. I would not be surprised to see the Ravens challenging the Chiefs for AFC supremacy for the next few years, and if the Ravens can win another Super Bowl, good chances Lamar's cards will increase significantly.

He could also blow out his knee in game three next season, so what do I really know?!

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

@80sRockNut said:
    Hope I am right on this one, but I bought a ton of LAMAR JACKSON cards in the last two days.

From all of the NFL draft grades that I have read, the Ravens had another fantastic draft last week. I would not be surprised to see the Ravens challenging the Chiefs for AFC supremacy for the next few years, and if the Ravens can win another Super Bowl, good chances Lamar's cards will increase significantly.

He could also blow out his knee in game three next season, so what do I really know?!

I think Lamar has good upside even though I would rank him a top franchise QB already. The Ravens are a great franchise and they will be competitive for many years. My only concern is that their WRs are unproven and I think they will have a hard time attracting top skill free agent WRs and will need to draft one.

Mike
  • Options

An '85 Fleer Clemens sold for $457 a few nights ago. The '85 Topps has gotten all the attention over the last five years because of its incredibly difficult strike rate but there are actually more Topps PSA 10s (341) than there are Fleer PSA 10s (160).

Arthur

• Options
    dioworlddioworld Posts: 140 ✭✭

Barry Bonds Rookie then in few months vintage cards

• Options
    TGwynnCollectorTGwynnCollector Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

I'm going with 1984 Donruss Kevin McReynolds cards. Long overdue...

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2020 1:22PM

This?

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options

The 70's rookies.
    A great decade of cards from Schmidt to ozzie.
    Plenty of HOFers and almost HOF.

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

1998 Topps Chrome Manning PSA 10 just sold for $1,500.00. This was a $200.00 card in June/July 2018. Nice return.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2020 9:02PM

@emar said:
    The 70's rookies.

Somewhere Munson, Blyleven, Garvey and Fisk all shed a tear.

• Options

Not a bad ROI for a little over 2.5 months.

February:

April:

• Options

@nam812 said:

@emar said:
    The 70's rookies.

Somewhere Munson, Blyleven, Garvey and Fisk all shed a tear.

Figured I didn't have a choice by starting w/Schmidt (see avatar). My apologizes to the '70-'72 cards

• Options
    80sRockNut80sRockNut Posts: 67 ✭✭

@blurryface said:

That does not surprise me at all, as I track Lebron James auctions almost every day (sad, I know). Funny that the seller listed as "under the radar card" and sold it for $1,500! LOL

• Options
    edited May 5, 2020 1:38AM

@80sRockNut said:

@blurryface said:

That does not surprise me at all, as I track Lebron James auctions almost every day (sad, I know). Funny that the seller listed as "under the radar card" and sold it for $1,500! LOL

I think technically it still is though. Any other chrome refractor lebron rookie in a 10 would be a five to six figure card, right? So $1500 still seems like a steal all things considered. 😉

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2020 9:02AM

@secretstash said:
    How about 2nd year cards? Still waiting for Jerry Rice to pick up on that one.

Wow, might have gotten one right if not everything in general is moving up.
    1987 Topps Jerry Rice in PSA 10 has sold for $125 $135 and $150 over the last 3 days. 4Sharp raised his price on his last one 110% over last week and it sold in less than an hour. One is in an ongoing auction - https://www.ebay.com/itm/153909849724

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2020 10:10AM

@olb31 said:

1998 Topps Chrome Randy Moss PSA 10 was an $80 card +/- at the end of March and now about 5 weeks later it's approaching $300

• Options

@nam812 said:

@olb31 said:

1998 Topps Chrome Randy Moss PSA 10 was an $80 card +/- at the end of March and now about 5 weeks later it's approaching $300

A few years ago I picked up a Bowman Chrome Interstate Refractor 9, Refractor 10, and a Bowman Interstate 10. As well as a Leaf Rookies & Stars True Blue 10. If these prices keep going I might be forced to sell.

Arthur

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:
    The 1985 Topps WWF Hulk Hogan cards are going up and the 10's I think will go much higher. They aren't obviously as rare or cool as his 1982 Wrestling All Stars but kids pulled them from packs and production quality was low and there are only 13 PSA 10's of his yellow card and only 1 PSA 10 of his blue. It was such a thrill to pull some nice copies from rack packs and I remember buying packs at the Florida Mall in Orlando from Woolworth's in 1985. I think the last public sale is a little over $300 for the yellow and I expect this card longer term to break a $1,000. Time will tell!

A blue Hogan PSA 9 went for $153.50 last night. Up from $123.99 in early April up from $51 in February. Not a big sample size but just further evidence you can't win nice cards cheap right now from any genre.

• Options
    KingBenKingBen Posts: 193 ✭✭✭

A A Ron Judge...

COLLECTING: 2020 Topps 206 ⚾️

facebook.com/groups/Topps206

facebook.com/groups/SportsCardsHobbyTalk

• Options

The thing I love about these threads is that they invariably turn into "what do you collect?"

Arthur