Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this a mule?

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the animal on this proposed New York dollar coin a mule or a donkey? I keep getting them confused.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mule.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks shorter than a donkey .... is it for real? One mule power pulling the raft?

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mule. One mule could pull a raft through a canal as the water is moving slowly or not at all. Canals made it much easier to move goods.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like a horse

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    looks like a horse

Pretty big ears for a horse, but an artist’s rendering so could be meant to be a horse, but mules were bred as draft animals

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now i'm confused.
    The design reminds me of a
    National Park called Assateague.
    Not New York.

• ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭

It looks like a horse but if can only choose between a mule or a donkey, it would be a mule. Donkeys are much smaller and usually (but not always) have a stripe going from side to side on their front shoulders.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2020 1:26AM

‘I‘ve got a mule, her name is Sal, 15 miles on the Erie Canal....’

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both horses and mules were used to pull craft along the Erie Canal. That image appears to be a melding of the two...Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file