Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this a mule?

kiyotekiyote Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭✭

Is the animal on this proposed New York dollar coin a mule or a donkey? I keep getting them confused.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭

Mule.

Currently have a bunch of different Anacs certificate type coins, if you have any and are willing to sell, please PM me.

Current Ebay auctions
  • ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks shorter than a donkey .... is it for real? One mule power pulling the raft?

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mule. One mule could pull a raft through a canal as the water is moving slowly or not at all. Canals made it much easier to move goods.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like a horse

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    looks like a horse

Pretty big ears for a horse, but an artist’s rendering so could be meant to be a horse, but mules were bred as draft animals

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Now i'm confused.
    The design reminds me of a
    National Park called Assateague.
    Not New York.

B)

• ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

It looks like a horse but if can only choose between a mule or a donkey, it would be a mule. Donkeys are much smaller and usually (but not always) have a stripe going from side to side on their front shoulders.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

No one has ever had a plan to lose money in numismatics, monies lost is a result of not having a plan.

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

• panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2020 1:26AM

‘I‘ve got a mule, her name is Sal, 15 miles on the Erie Canal....’

• rickoricko Posts: 72,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both horses and mules were used to pull craft along the Erie Canal. That image appears to be a melding of the two...Cheers, RickO