Home U.S. Coin Forum

Any Stack’s auction winners out there? Let’s see them

coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bid, bid and bid but lost everyone of them. I did manage to win an example of transportation token
which looks pretty nice. Love the lathe marks!
La Crosse, Wisconsin Atwood WI-360B Copper Nickel

Comments

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

nope, nada, none

Frank

BHNC #203

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1851-C gold dollar I posted in my own thread was one!

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

1886 PCGS MS65 Liberty Nickel

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:
    I bid, bid and bid but lost everyone of them. I did manage to win an example of transportation token

That horsecar was a very good buy, especially taking the grade into consideration. It is much scarcer than the smaller size brass horsecar (but not the larger size brass). I wouldn't be surprised if it came out of one of the Scoville accumulations that popped up about 20-25 years ago. All of the horsecar tokens that use that stock reverse die were made by Scoville.

Actually almost all of the transportation tokens went for buyer-friendly prices -- I was sidelined with another project and didn't have a chance to bid on line.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was not anything in the auction that was on my want list.

• bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was outbid on everything. :p

Ken
  • coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tokenpro said:

@coinsarefun said:

That horsecar was a very good buy, especially taking the grade into consideration. It is much scarcer than the smaller size brass horsecar (but not the larger size brass). I wouldn't be surprised if it came out of one of the Scoville accumulations that popped up about 20-25 years ago. All of the horsecar tokens that use that stock reverse die were made by Scoville.

Actually almost all of the transportation tokens went for buyer-friendly prices -- I was sidelined with another project and didn't have a chance to bid on line.

Thanks so much for your input @tokenpro i hope to be able to buy one or two more to add to my
    collection.

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

Completely sat this one out, despite there being some really nice pieces in auction.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• SeatedTonersSeatedToners Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

I won one. I’ll wait till I have it in hand to post it. And shipping might be delayed with everything going on.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that's pretty!

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just couldn’t get into this auction even though it was chocked full of stuff I wanted. There will be other auctions

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

1892-CC Morgan Silver Dollar in NGC MS63 - $1250 plus BP. I'm happy.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets.... That is one beautiful medal Al....Congratulations... Cheers, RickO

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

RickO, of the St. Louis award medals the Shield Type had probably the lowest number struck/issued. as such, it is seen less frequently and tends to be harder to find in pristine condition. Stack's listed this as AU but they tend to be conservative. I thought it was pretty clean with even color and no edge bumps.

• tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    This is a James Earle Fraser medal that was awarded to members of Williams College that participated in WWI, known as Williams College War Service Medal. 1726 of these medals were awarded.

The reverse shows Colonel Ephriam Williams who killed in an abmush by the French and Indian allies in an event called the Bloody Morning Scout. He was killed early in the war in 1755. A stone on his site of death still exists with his initials an the year which is shown on the reverse of the medal. Here's some info on Eephriam:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephraim_Williams

There were 1726 of this medal awarded to students (& faculty as well IIRC) but there were more than that number struck. The awarded medals have the student's name engraved on the edge; the remainders do not. I recently had an au example come in that was named to a 1st lieutenant. Nice piece imaged above.

• OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

Blown out on several bids...I did manage to pick up this cheapie though.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bearcave said:

Seems like prices were pretty strong, as others had similar sentiments.

I thought for sure I'd be reading about all the steals and deals, considering everything that was going on.
    Kind of reassuring that the coin market is still holding up Ok.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • DCWDCW Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinobsessed

Congrats! That is just a lovely example! And I agree, the most undertype I have ever seen

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:

@bearcave said:

Seems like prices were pretty strong, as others had similar sentiments.

I thought for sure I'd be reading about all the steals and deals, considering everything that was going on.
    Kind of reassuring that the coin market is still holding up Ok.

I believe it's still holding up. B)

Ken
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tokenpro said:

@Zoins said:
    This is a James Earle Fraser medal that was awarded to members of Williams College that participated in WWI, known as Williams College War Service Medal. 1726 of these medals were awarded.

The reverse shows Colonel Ephriam Williams who killed in an abmush by the French and Indian allies in an event called the Bloody Morning Scout. He was killed early in the war in 1755. A stone on his site of death still exists with his initials an the year which is shown on the reverse of the medal. Here's some info on Eephriam:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephraim_Williams

There were 1726 of this medal awarded to students (& faculty as well IIRC) but there were more than that number struck. The awarded medals have the student's name engraved on the edge; the remainders do not. I recently had an au example come in that was named to a 1st lieutenant. Nice piece imaged above.

Great information! Thanks for posting it. I didn't know that these have the recipients names engraved on them.

I especially liked the way this one looked and the color. I'm also a big fan of James Earle Fraser's work so this is one more to add to the collection.

Williams College has a book on the recipients as well.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's the hobo nickel I picked up from Steven G. Adams. Trying to start a nickel carver thread :)

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1034997/hobo-nickels-coins-and-carvers

• CWT1863CWT1863 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭✭

I won one lot and will post it once it arrives.

ANA-LM, CWTS-LM, NBS, TAMS, ANS

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file