Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1940 U.S. cent has a shadow of his former self ???

Hey y’all. I am fairly new to this coin collecting stuff and I was wondering if my eyes were playing tricks on me. This 1940 U.S. cent seems to have a shadow of Lincoln in the background to the right of him. It also has quite a few more errors on it than that. For example, in the word “TRUST” the “S” is cut off from about 3/4 of the way down and the “T” is almost non existent. There is doubling in the date as well as Most of the lettering on the front and it’s got this copper line through it from the bottom left of his body to the top opposite side. Can anyone give me some insight as to what I’ve got here ???

Comments

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stain.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@happyfeetjones7....Welcome aboard.... You have a worn Lincoln cent...looks like some machine doubling (not a doubled die) with no numismatic premium. Good luck in your searches....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

The shadowy portrait is just a stain from environmental damage. There is also some circulation damage around the TRUST. There may also be some mechanical or die deterioration doubling, which isn't considered an error

Member of the ANA since 1982

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file