Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS NFC Technology in Action

PCGS_SocialMediaPCGS_SocialMedia Posts: 309 mod
edited February 25, 2020 6:53PM in U.S. Coin Forum

As of Monday, February 24th all PCGS Gold Shield® submissions are receiving a Near Field Communication (NFC) chip technology-embedded slab at no additional charge. We had some of the security chip-embedded holders with us at the Long Beach Expo and shot this brief video showing the anti-counterfeiting technology in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aicwDQIb1A

As you can see, PCGS slabs embedded with NFC technology allow any collector, with a modern smartphone (Android and iPhone XS or newer), to easily verify that the coin encapsulated within was indeed certified, graded, and slabbed by PCGS. “The NFC chip contains a uniform resource locator (URL) that generates a unique, cryptographic one-time password (OTP) that changes every time the chip is tapped. This password is validated by the HID Trusted Tag® Cloud Authentication service to prove that it is the exact same tag that was issued with the slab.”

Those with NFC-enabled smartphones need only to put those devices close to the chip. This will automatically launch the PCGS Cert Verification app displaying information about the coin, verification that it is housed in an NFC enabled Gold Shield Holder, and a TrueView image.

Those with older phones can use the free PCGS Cert Verification App which now includes an NFC Scanner.

This technology works best alongside our free app which can be downloaded here: https://www.pcgs.com/apps

Coins that feature an NFC chip can be identified by our new NFC symbol on the back of the holder

Or on the Cert Verification page on the "Security" Line:

Learn more here: https://www.pcgs.com/news/security-chip-slabs

Tagged:

Comments

• bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is great!! 🙂

Ken
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Purdy neat!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat! How will I be able to identify which slabs have the chip?

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• @Kliao said:

Coins that feature an NFC chip can be identified by our new NFC symbol on the back of the holder

Or on the Cert Verification page on the "Security" Line:

Heather Boyd
    PCGS Senior Director of Marketing

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my Gold Shield coins updated for shipping today, but the cert verification doesn't show that. I guess I just missed it.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent! I sent off a gold shield submission the other day.

Collector, occasional seller

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an outstanding upgrade to PCGS slabs and will certainly contribute to the efforts against fraud. Thank you PCGS....Cheers, RickO

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HeatherBoyd said:

@Kliao said:

It would be great to have that logo on the TrueView too :)

• StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe I missed the answer in the announcement thread, but...

1) NFC Chips (1st ISO) supposedly have a range of up to 10cm (4 inches) depending on the size of the tag antennae - has this been tested with a coin laying in an Allstate type case tapping the phone on the case glass? Just wondering if it would get close enough to read it.

2) CoinWorld announced their own SmartTrack DNA NFC Chip program right about the same time PCGS announced theirs. Their chips are external/stickers - if CoinWorld tags a slab with the PCGS chip in it, will they interfere with each other or cause problems?

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@StrikeOutXXX said:

1) NFC Chips (1st ISO) supposedly have a range of up to 10cm (4 inches) depending on the size of the tag antennae - has this been tested with a coin laying in an Allstate type case tapping the phone on the case glass? Just wondering if it would get close enough to read it.

I tried it with my phone and doesn't work through the showcase. Slab didn't trigger my phone until almost touching, maybe an inch away tops.

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@illini420 said:

@StrikeOutXXX said:

I tried it with my phone and doesn't work through the showcase. Slab didn't trigger my phone until almost touching, maybe an inch away tops.

That might be considered a feature in the case where many NFC-equipped slabs are in close proximity in a case. In practice, I probably won't care about verifying a coin's authenticity until I've looked it over carefully outside of the dealer's case. YMMV.

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:

@illini420 said:

@StrikeOutXXX said:

That might be considered a feature in the case where many NFC-equipped slabs are in close proximity in a case. In practice, I probably won't care about verifying a coin's authenticity until I've looked it over carefully outside of the dealer's case. YMMV.

I think that's probably true... but I do see several collectors at shows who seem to like to scan slabs through cases using the bar code readers. Lots of collectors out there that may be too shy or just don't want to bug dealers... and lots of dealers just don't seem to be at their tables all the time at the big shows.

But yeah, being really close to the slab for this makes sense... I know sometimes I stack a few coins that are similar... would be weird of the scan tried to pick them all up at once!

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@illini420 said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@illini420 said:

@StrikeOutXXX said:

I think that's probably true... but I do see several collectors at shows who seem to like to scan slabs through cases using the bar code readers. Lots of collectors out there that may be too shy or just don't want to bug dealers... and lots of dealers just don't seem to be at their tables all the time at the big shows.

But yeah, being really close to the slab for this makes sense... I know sometimes I stack a few coins that are similar... would be weird of the scan tried to pick them all up at once!

The good news is that optical scanning is still an option, even when the slab has an NFC chip. AFAIK, anyway.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file