Home U.S. Coin Forum

ANSWERED: Die Error??? 2017 P Jefferson Reverse

isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
edited February 12, 2020 8:41AM in U.S. Coin Forum

This is probably a common error but I am having trouble looking it up. There is a small inclusion at the bottom of the "S" in Pluribus on the reverse. I found 12 of these across 2 rolls. Please let me know the correct term to describe it and how common this is. Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a die chip. Most die chips & cracks are not listed. ;)

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2020 5:51PM

Nice . it seems like you’re getting the hang of it these may not categorized as technical errors or other things but they are describable different and can be noted if you are want to sell those on eBay as being unique

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like a die chip that once would have been referred to as a'Barr Nickel' if I'm not mistaken. Maybe @ErrorsOnCoins can weigh in.

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

Found 35 of them so far in 5 rolls. Got a box of bank wrapped nickels and it looks like most are a dump of these 2017s. NF String & Sons box from my local BOA. A few older nickels here and there so I will just open all of the rolls.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

@isaiah58 said:
    Found 35 of them so far in 5 rolls.

Must be pretty common. Still nice to have one!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the 'die chip' analysis....seems you got a lot of rolls from the same mint cycle...Cheers, RickO

• isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

Thanks, die chip. I found one on Ebay and other similar die chip errors on eBay in different areas. Seems to be very common. Not worth selling, might get $2 if shipping included which is a net loss.

Looks like 4mm and larger is the key to becoming a recognized error from a collectible standpoint.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file