Home Sports Talk

The XFL, will you watch?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that the NFL has abandoned us until next season, will you watch the XFL? I believe the XFL season kicks off this weekend.

Comments

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, looking forward to checking it out.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will also be checking it out. I need some kind of football fix. It doesn't take long for football withdrawal symptoms to kick in. ;)

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will watch as much of that as I do hockey..........zero, zip, zelch, nada, none & 0.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

No

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t plan on it

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is He Hate Me playing again?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    I will watch as much of that as I do hockey..........zero, zip, zelch, nada, none & 0.

Iirc, when you watched playoff hockey last year you were pleasantly surprised by it. Am I misremembering? :D Playoff hockey is definitely better than regular season hockey. Just like MLB and NBA.

I'll check it out.

@thisistheshow said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Iirc, when you watched playoff hockey last year you were pleasantly surprised by it. Am I misremembering? :D Playoff hockey is definitely better than regular season hockey. Just like MLB and NBA.

I watched game 7 because my daughter was so excited for the Blues. It was fun watching the Blue's goalie shut down Boston. But Hockey is still boring to me. It's right there with Soccer...…..unwatchable to me.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the key to success in this new league will be how much is the drop off in TV ratings between the first and second weeks.

Likely the first week's ratings will be at least acceptable. If in the second week, the ratings go down precipitously, then they are in some early deep trouble.

We shall see.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nada.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

only way i'm watching is if i get drunk and think it's the NFL

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only for the cheerleaders

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

No

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Why don't they wait a month or two and let people really get to a point where they miss football?

edited February 4, 2020 6:45AM

Well, the XFL is connected to Vince McMahon, so maybe at halftime they'll entertain us with a tables, ladders and chairs match.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope

I'm just sittin here with a cold beer and a homemade burger, getting ready to watch an XFL game. It will be interesting to see how this little experience goes.

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass

This XFL game is quite entertaining so far. It's tied up at 19-19 in the 3rd quarter. It's got trick plays, big plays, I'm surprised. I must admit, I'm enjoying it.

Well, the XFL game today was pretty good in this reporters opinion. It had big plays on both offense and defense, trick plays, and the crowd got into it. Of course it will struggle, and it remains to be seen if it will survive, but it was pretty darn entertaining. There are only eight teams in the entire league, and it's a ten game season. We will see how it plays out, but if I've got a few cold ones in me, what the heck, I'll continue to watch.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

If its better than current NFL, than yes.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Well, the XFL game today was pretty good in this reporters opinion. It had big plays on both offense and defense, trick plays, and the crowd got into it. Of course it will struggle, and it remains to be seen if it will survive, but it was pretty darn entertaining. There are only eight teams in the entire league, and it's a ten game season. We will see how it plays out, but if I've got a few cold ones in me, what the heck, I'll continue to watch.

If you had a few cold ones in you, you'd watch two cockroaches racing across the linoleum.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Games were pretty good today. Pick a team, root for them, and watch the games. I'm always down for more football. Go DC Defenders!

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)

@grote15 said:

@doubledragon said:

If you had a few cold ones in you, you'd watch two cockroaches racing across the linoleum.

Cockroach races are highly competitive, although I prefer a good ol fashioned honey bee pole vault competition.

I had to miss yesterday. Will be watching today.

I'm watching. Enjoying it so far.

Watching today's second game.

edited February 9, 2020 3:15PM

I haven't seen it yet, but one of the interesting different rules is that they can do two forward passes as long as the first one doesn't reach the line of scrimmage.

Edit to add: That is pretty much the only "gimmicky" thing I see. There are no extra points. You can go for 1,2, or 3. 3 is from 10 yards. And the overtime, if it ever happens, looks to be really fun.

@thisistheshow said:
    I haven't seen it yet, but one of the interesting different rules is that they can do two forward passes as long as the first one doesn't reach the line of scrimmage.

Edit to add: That is pretty much the only "gimmicky" thing I see. There are no extra points. You can go for 1,2, or 3. 3 is from 10 yards. And the overtime, if it ever happens, looks to be really fun.

Yes, they do have some interesting rules. The kickoffs are done differently also, with neither team allowed to move until the ball has been caught. It is pretty entertaining so far. There is a lot of talent out on the field, and it's good to see a lot of players that didn't quite make it big in the NFL get a chance to show that they can play the game. I'll continue to watch.

@grote15 said:

@doubledragon said:

If ya see little jockeys riding them, probably tells ya that you've had too much to drink.

Dallas lost so that was good news.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Dallas lost so that was good news.

Tony Romo is still in good shape. Saw him playing golf at Pebble Beach this week. Maybe they could use him.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched the game on Saturday and thought that is pretty good. The American Football League did not start off on a par with the NFL. It grew up pretty fast. I am hoping that this league will grow up too, in a different season.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • purduepetepurduepete Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

No for me.

Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards

There are two XFL games on today if anyone is interested.

1st game: 2 p.m. eastern time on ABC

2nd game: 5 p.m. eastern time on FOX

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

This league will fold just like the rest in my opinion

@perkdog said:
    This league will fold just like the rest in my opinion

To be honest, I think it will have a pretty short lifespan as well. The NFL will always be the cream of the crop. I remember the Arena Football League being around for a while, then it finally collapsed.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today is the first time I have watched. I am not enthused.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

@Brick said:
    Today is the first time I have watched. I am not enthused.

doubledragon would respond, but he is asleep due to the lack of excitement in today's XFL game. This is his smartphone typing this message. Have a great day.

Ill be watching the Dallas Renegades today. Trying to support my local team. I read that the games yesterday were disappointing, especially due to QB play. Even in the NFL it can be tough to find good QB play at the backup position- and XFL QBs should theoretically be a lower tier. If the XFL is to succeed, I believe we will need to see better game planning and play calling. Of course, these are literally brand new franchises, coaches unfamiliar with their squads and the league rules, etc- at least with how the games will play out.

I'll check back in later to give my opinions on the game I watch today.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been watching and have found it to be fun. I have trouble because I see “”Los Angles” and think of the NFL team as “pretty good” and then remember that it’s all different guys.

I have lost a lot of interest in baseball and now look forward to the pro football season every year. This might give me “a fix” better than the Arena Football League did, so I hope it succeeds.

On my one visit to the Canton Hall of Fame, there was a whole room full of failed “other leagues.” Given that, I don’t have a great deal of hope for this one.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've watched the majority of a couple games each weekend so far, mostly the Saturday games. There was a marked improvement between weeks one and two with some teams starting to gel (QB/WR able to connect on some deep balls, effective pass rush). There are several things to really like about the league, pace of play being a drastic improvement over even college. It's similar enough in rules that anyone who has watched much NFL quickly catches on the the few differences, and several are things the NFL should implement (kickoffs are much better, encouraging going for it on 4th, and the extra points are much more exciting). The talent level obviously isn't as high as the NFL, but the dropoff is not as extreme as Arena or CFL either. I'm cautiously optimistic for their future. The real tests will be if anyone gets recruited from the XFL for a shot at the NFL and if there are any expansion teams in the next few years.

I ended up missing much of the game I intended to watch. Some thing came up. Something not that important. I would almost never miss an NFL game I wanted to watch. Still, I was able to follow the game online for most of it. The scoring really picked up 2nd half. I watched some highlights. I agree with the observations made above me by @LarkinCollector .

Houston vs Tampa Bay is a heck of a game today. It's 27-26 in the 4th quarter with Tampa Bay leading right now.

edited February 22, 2020 3:22PM

Houston wins 34-27. It was a much better game than I expected.

The other game was pretty good.

YAWN!!

The action in the XFL can be good at times, but when I look at all the empty seats in the various stadiums, that is not a good sign for the survival of the XFL.