Home Sports Talk
Options

The XFL, will you watch?

2»

Comments

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

I try to watch it. Find yourself looking for recognizable names to see where they "ended up".........then slowly lose interest.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@steel75 said:
    I try to watch it. Find yourself looking for recognizable names to see where they "ended up".........then slowly lose interest.

It just doesn't have the same atmosphere as the NFL does. I also try to watch, but it's getting more difficult.

• Options

I see that DIMEMAN's Dallas Renegades play today. I hope the Renegades win, because I know how closely DIMEMAN follows them. ;)

• Options

Bronco's Houston Roughnecks have a record of 4-0.

Roughnecks football forever!

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed they are not making the games available over network TV. Is this correct? I watch everything that I can't get from an antennae through streaming, like NFL games not in my area, but I haven't found XFL free streaming. Am I missing it?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, that was quick.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

They had no Philadelphia team - that's why it failed.

• Options

The XFL has laid an egg.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kinda hard to survive when the inaugural season gets interrupted by a global pandemic. I don't see them coming back from this.

• Options

MLB is also up for sale with an asking price of 15 million, includes free shipping.

• Options

I'm skeptical the XFL will succeed. I'll have to see it to believe it.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

Once The Rock gets involved with something, there's no way it doesn't succeed.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 3, 2020 10:21AM

I followed the American Football League in its early days in the early 1960s. The games were exciting with a lot of offense, and there were good crowds, at least for the teams that were winning like Huston and San Diego. They also had a lot of nice looking majorettes at half time, which appealed to a young guy like me. I remember reading that in a newspapter circa 1965. I don't think that the XFL can get the attendance.

At my one trip the Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio, I was amazed to see how many professional leagues there have been that have failed. They have whole room full of them.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder what the Rock is cooking...

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@doubledragon said:

Once The Rock gets involved with something, there's no way it doesn't succeed.

The Rock is in touch with football since he did play ball at Miami, and if anybody slacks off, he'll lay the smackdown on their candy a..!

• Options

@DrBuster said:
    I wonder what the Rock is cooking...

Sushi (and usually banana pancakes)

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

• Options

For 15 million, chump change, one movie or so, for the Rock, it's an interesting flyer.

He gets to have some fun with it, along with some other owners who have so much money that they don't know what to do with it.

But something like this can become a money pit, which is probably one reason why Vince McMahon got rid of it so cheap. That and to absolve the incurred debts. Yes, McMahon is super rich, but he's 74 years old and probably didn't feel like playing with this expensive, time consuming toy any longer. Although it wouldn't surprise me if McMahon got back into the league with owning one team which is a lot less work and stress than running an entire league.

I stated this previously in another thread, that if sports gambling becomes legalized in more and more states, and becomes legal at sports stadiums, these XFL franchises could be worth a small fortune. If they legalize other forms of gambling and also allow that at the stadium, they could be worth a large fortune. Of course there's a lot of "ifs" involved with that, so we shall see what happens.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will the XFL 2020 take on the mantle of being a SJW?

If so maybe the XFL can differentiate itself by having players, coaches, officials, etc. prostrate themselves on the turf to the breadth and depth of their "wokeness".

Or maybe the XFL will be contrarian and choose to stand instead.

Stay tuned to see how it all plays out both in the field and off.

Thinking about start up pro football leagues that have tried and failed over the past 30-40 years, I remember seeing a televised game (I think in the 1980's with the USFL). The game was one played at the beginning of the season (maybe in week 2 or 3). The game close, had some exciting plays and the winning team won by a small margin.

After the game finished the post game TV interviews were taking place. One reporter was interviewing the owner of the winning team. The owner was extremely excited and very animated. During the Q & A session with the reporter the owner could not contain his enthusiasm and made a statement that I still find amusing to this day.

I do not remember the precise statement made by the owner, but it included him commenting (with full sincerity, self reflection and utmost pride in his team and organization) that the game just played and won by his team was the greatest game in "The History Of The League!!!!!!!" (The owner did not at that moment recognize and appreciate that the league lacked any significant history at all at that time). :)

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will fail again

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    Or maybe the XFL will be contrarian and choose to stand instead.

That was the XFL's appeal, they were there to play football, no political shenanigans allowed.

Two guys from the XFL now have NFL contracts from their brief season this year. If they can become a feeder league outside of the NCAA, they should do OK if they can structure NFL contract buyouts correctly.