Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Worth Sending to CAC?

Hello! I have a couple of coins that I am considering sending to CAC and wanted to get others input. I have never sent anything to CAC and so I am not certain exactly what they look for in a coin to determine whether it gets a bean or not. I appreciate any, and all, input on whether any of these would be worth sending in.

1) 1909-S VDB PCGS MS62BN

2) 1909-S PCGS MS62BN

3) 1909 VDB PCGS MS64BN

4) 1914-D PCGS XF45

5) 1931-S PCGS MS64BN

6) 1916-D PCGS G4

Collector of Lincoln Cents (Wheat Reverse) and Winged Liberty Head Dimes (Mercury Dimes)

Comments

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:

If they were my coins, I'd send them in, but I have a habit of occasionally upgrading and horse trading. You never know when an even better opportunity comes along, and right or wrong, coins are much easier to sell with a sticker.

This. You're giving yourself a little extra liquidity with a sticker. Might want to buff the scratches off the 14-D slab first, though.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are considering selling, yes. Otherwise it’s up to you. I think they are fine as they are.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cost versus additional return. If the value goes up enough then it would be a good idea to have them stickered.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there still no charge for non-dealers if a coin doesn't sticker? If so, then why wouldn't you?

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

With coins of this value, the assumption made by many will be that they have been submitted and failed. That only masters if you're selling, of course.

Very nice keys, by the way.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's your money! I choose to spend my money on more coins!

• Options
    CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if anyone or you are aware your 2’nd 09 S is a RPM @OkieNumismatic or it sureeee looks like one :)

• Options

@Aotearoa said:
    With coins of this value, the assumption made by many will be that they have been submitted and failed. That only masters if you're selling, of course.

Very nice keys, by the way.

Thank you!

Collector of Lincoln Cents (Wheat Reverse) and Winged Liberty Head Dimes (Mercury Dimes)

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

2,3,4,5....would be my choice.Nice looking coins.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know about whether to send to CAC or not, but I love the 09 VDB.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2020 4:13PM

Because I have collector submission ability I would send all but the 16-d and 09 VDB; reason being that I don't think either of those will see enough of a price bump to be worth the cost. The 16-D will certainly up the shipping costs by itself and while I think the VDB is very much bean worthy I have doubts about a bean changing the possible sale value. If you have to send in thru a dealer I would think twice about the SVDB, I have my reservations about it getting beaned and dealers have to pay the cost for each coin bean or no bean. If you are testing the waters and want to see how your thoughts on how each will do then send them all as a learning exercise.

They are all nice coins but shipping is getting expensive so it pays to do some critical thinking beforehand.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@btcollects said:
    2, 3, 4 and 6 are cacable

I mostly agree, except for #4.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@btcollects said:

Genuinely curious, for learning purposes, what would keep #4 from getting CACed? I've had many tell me it is a mighty fine example of the coin and was likely undergraded.

• Options

@OkieNumismatic said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@btcollects said:

Genuinely curious, for learning purposes, what would keep #4 from getting CACed? I've had many tell me it is a mighty fine example of the coin and was likely undergraded.

Maybe it's the photo, but there appear to be a lot of marks on the bust. I really don't see it as a 5 ("undergraded) and it kind of looks like a marginal 4 (which would not CAC). But, it might look better in-hand.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@OkieNumismatic said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@btcollects said:

Maybe it's the photo, but there appear to be a lot of marks on the bust. I really don't see it as a 5 ("undergraded) and it kind of looks like a marginal 4 (which would not CAC). But, it might look better in-hand.

Ahh yes. The slab is scratched up and I need to polish it. As far as scratches on the bust, I do not believe there are any.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say the center of the Obv. is Borderline Environmental Damage from the pictures myself. It's obvious to me the scratches are on the holder.

@jmlanzaf said:

@OkieNumismatic said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@btcollects said:

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OkieNumismatic said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@OkieNumismatic said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@btcollects said:

Ahh yes. The slab is scratched up and I need to polish it. As far as scratches on the bust, I do not believe there are any.

Are you guys even discussing the same coin? Based on his comments, I think he meant coin #3, not #4. FWIW.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like to send coins I think at least are high for the grade on the slab but valued at about $100 or so. I've sent them coins valued less but I don't want to abuse their collector policy.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send 'em all...why not.

IMO 2,3, & 5 should sticker, nice specimens. Heck, I'll drum up some sort of "LeeBone Approved" something or other to throw on your slab regardless of what the higher ups think.

More than a few times I've had just the opposite result from the Bean Company as to what I thought would happen.

I send them in for sh#%'s & giggles now more than anything.

Or... I could throw on my, soon to be famous, Charlie Brown Approved verification… ;)

• Options

@LeeBone said:
    Send 'em all...why not.

IMO 2,3, & 5 should sticker, nice specimens. Heck, I'll drum up some sort of "LeeBone Approved" something or other to throw on your slab regardless of what the higher ups think.

More than a few times I've had just the opposite result from the Bean Company as to what I thought would happen.

I send them in for sh#%'s & giggles now more than anything.

Or... I could throw on my, soon to be famous, Charlie Brown Approved verification… ;)

Thank you! I do not see any of them leaving my collection but figure why not? I have seen some 1916-D Mercs in PCGS G4 grade get stickered that are not quite as nice as mine. I could be biased since it is mine but I think it is a wonderful example for the grade.

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:

@OkieNumismatic said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@OkieNumismatic said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@btcollects said:

Are you guys even discussing the same coin? Based on his comments, I think he meant coin #3, not #4. FWIW.

Actually, I meant 5 not 4 with the marks on the bust.

But 4 also seems maxed out at 45.

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't really like lincoln cents, but I like the look of your 09-s vdb. good luck if you send them in

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2020 9:03PM

coin 3 is too common (1909 VDB Philly in 64 BN) to justify the submission costs

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2020 9:30PM

If you aren’t selling them I don’t think it makes sense to send them in. There simply isn’t that much educational value in 6 data points to justify spending $14 each plus shipping. You can get free opinions all day of excellent quality. Take them to a coin show. You can also look at thousands of other slabbed coins including those with stickers and those without. (Obviously you might not know if those coins have failed or just haven’t been sent). That is all free and much more educational than a yes/no on a handful of coins. I’d spend your money on your collection rather than a $14/coin pat on the back.

Now, if selling the coins is in your future, then sure send in everything but the 09 VDB (and maybe the 16-D).

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@david3142 I dunno know. I’ve seen people on this forum pretty confident in their grading skills send their best coins in to CAC and go 0/5 or 0/10. That I suppose could mean many things. Ive always liked knowing on why something didn’t sticker. That information is there for the asking.

Better to know now then a hundred coins later how your coins stack up “if” you’re into that CAC wise.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    CommencentsCommencents Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

If your selling them, a CAC sticker will get you at least 10% more. A gold sticker can double the value!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have some nice coins there and there has been an interesting discussion and opinions thus far. I would like to see you submit them and then come back to this thread and post the results. It would be educational for all of us and you would have your 'final' answer... ;) Let us know your plan... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file