Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Favorite Coin(s) in Collection?

I have several coins that I absolutely love having in my collection that will never leave. I may upgrade the lower grade ones but the lower ones will never leave.

That said, my favorite coin in my collection is one that is not necessarily "rare" but it is a semi high grade for the coin. In PCGS there are just 889 coins with a higher grade and 7,496 coins with a lower grade. This coin is my beloved 1914-D Lincoln Wheat Cent. This coin is what got me into coins and it will forever have a place in my collection. You will have to ignore the slab scratches!

Collector of Lincoln Cents (Wheat Reverse) and Winged Liberty Head Dimes (Mercury Dimes)

Comments

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bcdeluxe said:
    Beautiful Swiss coins @coinlieutenant

Definitely!
    Outstanding! :)

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OkieNumismatic said:
    I have several coins that I absolutely love having in my collection that will never leave. I may upgrade the lower grade ones but the lower ones will never leave.

That said, my favorite coin in my collection is one that is not necessarily "rare" but it is a semi high grade for the coin. In PCGS there are just 889 coins with a higher grade and 7,496 coins with a lower grade. This coin is my beloved 1914-D Lincoln Wheat Cent. This coin is what got me into coins and it will forever have a place in my collection. You will have to ignore the slab scratches!

Nice coin!
    I don’t collect Lincoln cents at all, but for some reason that coin pulls at me. The 09SVDB doesn’t do it for me. But for some reason I think I’ll own a 1914-D someday.

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinlieutenant said:
    My only real collection is my Swiss. Hard to pick a favorite from there. So I'll just pick the monsters. And I don't use that term lightly. This collection has been 14 years in the making. Total of 17 coins purchased, with 15 more to get to defined completion.

The ones I consider "unimprovable" below:

1888 5 Rappen NGC MS68 Old Fat Holder

1874 StGallen Shooting Thaler PCGS MS67 OGH

Amazing collection. The 1874 shooting Thaler and the 1888 5 Rappen are incredible! Wow

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow ... nice coins!

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oops... just found 2 typos in my Top 10 List above:

Coin #1 is VF25
    Coin #9 is 323-317 B.C.

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

I got interested in coins when I was about 18 (the age I was when my wife and I started dating in HS). My father-in-law would always talk about the 1909-S VDB and how he wanted one. Now, at 27 years old, I own my very own 1909-S VDB PCGS MS62BN. I absolutely love the look of this coin. It is a very nice example of this coin and will remain in my collection for ever.

Obviously, as listed in my original post, my 1914-D is one of the coins that collectors know about and the normal population may not. #3 on my list is my 1916-D Mercury Dime that is PCGS G4. It is the lowest grade coin I own but it could also be considered the most rare. I am contemplating if I want to upgrade the coin later down the road. I'll never be able to afford an AU or MS example. I MAY be able to get an XF but generally I would upgrade to a VF if I ever do.

The slab shot is from David Lawrence which is where the coin will be coming from.

Collector of Lincoln Cents (Wheat Reverse) and Winged Liberty Head Dimes (Mercury Dimes)

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    Here’s another one.
    A Campfire survivor.

I have to say, I really like that label!! How did you go about getting that???

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal said:

@crazyhounddog said:
    Here’s another one.
    A Campfire survivor.

I have to say, I really like that label!! How did you go about getting that???

Barely escaping a forest fire with his life and coming back to all of your coins melted into chunks of plastic?

Wouldn’t recommend it for your copper Cardinal. Luckily Joe collected mostly nickel!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread and some really nice coins. I have way too many favorites and certainly do not have pictures of most of my coins...My gold 1909D $5 Indian is likely my sentimental favorite and have shown it here many times... but then I look at my German big silver coins, or my gold AGE's, or my chopmarked Trade dollar... well, I just can't pick out a favorite... much like my daughters, I love them all. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2020 11:31AM

@DennisH said:

1. 1900-O Micro-O Morgan dollar (counterfeit) PCGS Fine-12 (CAC). This was the first 1900-O Micro-O submitted to PCGS (February 2002) and I submitted it. That a counterfeit coin has a CAC sticker is beyond hysterical to me!

LOL Too funny!

Ken
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

For today only my favorite coin is this 1955 Proof half dollar I picked up at a local show 6 days ago. It has interesting die polishing lines on the Liberty Bell.

Today I learned that Mr. Hansen previously owned a 1955 PCGS PF68 DCAM half dollar that has the exact same die polishing lines on the Liberty Bell.

An interesting new acquisition for me IMO.

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

So many great coins!!

Labelman: are those 1838 branch mint $5s third party graded or still raw? Your 38-C looks MS which make it top of the census...what do you grade them?

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cardinal posted...…..but I did see that someone else did post a 2 Cent Piece.

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

jonruns - All 3 coins are graded. The 1838-C is an NGC MS60 that remained in one family for over 150 years and I was fortunate to acquire it several years ago. I can account for 2 PCGS MS specimens and 3 NGC specimens, although they list 4. The 1838-D is a PCGS MS62 and the 1892-S is a PCGS MS64 and close to condition census.

For a look at some unbelievable favorite gold for anyone's taste - check out (or review again) the gold sections of the Pogue collection. :)

Craig

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file