Home Metal Detecting

Northern VA bullet finds ID help!

Td337Td337 Posts: 74 ✭✭✭
edited January 1, 2020 9:23AM in Metal Detecting

Dug these two bullets yesterday and looking for some ID help!

Especially the one with solo pics...

Thanks in advance!

I also found this neat Disabled Veterans tag. Don’t know anything about it.

Successful transactions with: Outhaul, Saen78, Pocketpiececommems, mapleman, CelinaCoin, tommyrusty7, braddick, greencopper, CommemDude

Comments

• Td337Td337 Posts: 74 ✭✭✭

Here are some other bullets I’ve dug from the same site!

Successful transactions with: Outhaul, Saen78, Pocketpiececommems, mapleman, CelinaCoin, tommyrusty7, braddick, greencopper, CommemDude

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me thinks the 3 ring is a Gardner, smaller 2 ring a Minnie ball. musket on the round guy. Use your caliper to determine caliber. Lots of id charts online for civil war bullets. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

Great thank you!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice finds...Where are you detecting? Any historical battles in that area?? Cheers, RickO

Thanks!

I’m in Fairfax, VA which is a prominent Civil War location.

Many skirmishes and a TON of camps.

Basically located right between Manassas and DC, so lots of Civil War activity.

• Does anyone know if the disabled i.d. is recent or would it be 40+ years old, etc? It says that you can return it via dropping it into any mailbox but how cool would it be to find the owner and return it in person? Not sure if you could do that. My dad was a disabled veteran but I don't remember him having anything like that.

I will ask the property owner!

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could mail it in to the DAV in Cincinnati Ohio 45206. Let us know if it works out. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

@Newbiedoobiedoo ....Welcome aboard.... Tell us about your MD interests and area....Cheers, RickO

• Hi RickO. Just saw this. I live on an island in Washington state and as of yet I don't have a metal detector! Last Aug/Sept I went on a 2 week trip to metal detect in Norwich, England. It was a full 12 days of detecting. I waited 2 years ( yes...2 Years!) for a spot on the tour because he only does 1 in the spring and 3 in the summer/fall. He has to work around the farmer's harvests. I decided that there would be no better way to learn about detecting than to combine it with my love of history and get a concentrated number of hours on a machine. The tour guide had a Deus metal detector for me to use. Nice and light but boy was I sore the 1st 3 days! 😂

I thought that I would be the only woman with the 14 people on the tour but I was glad that there was 1 other woman who had been detecting with her husband for many years! 😁 I enjoyed the entire group and I found many things including 2 1/2 hammered coins ( Edward the 1st, Henry the 2nd and 1/2 of Robert of Scotland). They used to use cut 1/2's and 1/4's to make change! I also found a number of objects such as a Saxon brooch (bronze...not in great condition); Saxon strap end of zoomorphic (sp) horse head design, loom weights and a couple of musket balls. I also found a nice piece of Roman tile on which to put my Roman coin (Constantine the 1st I think). I found some Georgian coins (copper in poor condition) and a fantastic carved intaglio seal that is Georgian.

The guys in the group go every year and freely shared their weights and musket balls with me as they were old hat to them! They were experienced and made some fantastic finds. The weather was very hot and dry and I understand that it makes it harder to find things. I know I worked very hard to find my items.

All of my items are still with the "powers that be" who are reviewing my items with the export licenses and the guide expects to get them in a couple of weeks and he'll send them to me. None of the items qualify as "Treasure" under their laws. If they did then the museums have the right to buy it at an independently appraised price which is split between the finder and the land owner. I think that's a fair process. In many cases the finder and land owner agree to let the museum purchase it at a lower cost. Small treasure items are often just donated. It's a benefit to the country to learn about things that would just continue to degrade in the soil if not for those with detectors.

If you guys are interested I can post some pictures when I get the items back. I do have some pictures that I took of my finds on site and in the hotel room but not everything and not with all the information that I should get when I get my stuff back. I'm going again this fall and I've already booked my 2021 trip! Not sure when I'll get a machine. Maybe if I can find tours in the Eastern 1/2 of the U.S. to go to. I don't think that there's a lot of places to go in my state.

Probably way more than you wanted to read Ricko! 😁 I'm looking forward to learning from all of you. There's a lot that I've already read here that's very interesting.

Newbiedoobiedoo

• P.S. - I did add my Henry the 2nd coin as my profile picture. Those aren't my dirty fingers though!😁

@Newbiedoobiedoo....Thank you for that very interesting post.... Never too much when about the hobby. That trip to England sounds great... I hope your future trips result in a real treasure find. I lived in Washington state for 20 years prior to retiring in 2008...Are you on Bainbridge Island? I have been there several times.....Cheers, RickO

• Hi Ricko. We live on Whidbey Island. We lived in Seattle until we built a house here in 2009. I worked at Boeing in Everett so took the 12 minute ferry ride to the mainland and then the 5 minute drive to work. I retired in 2015. Now that I have the time I'm looking forward to learning about metal detecting! 😊

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Td337 said:
    Dug these two bullets yesterday and looking for some ID help!

Especially the one with solo pics...

Thanks in advance!

I also found this neat Disabled Veterans tag. Don’t know anything about it.

The Disabled American Veterans (DAV) is still a very active organization. Their HQ is still in Cincinnati, OH.

Contact info in the link:

https://www.dav.org/

https://www.dav.org/contact-us/

@Newbiedoobiedoo....I have been to Whidbey Island as well...I worked at Korry for 20 years...supplied Boeing with the switches and displays for cockpits...Cheers, RickO