Home U.S. Coin Forum

AU VS MS60

This has probably been discussed multiple times, and has come up multiple times.
I am new to learning about grading coins, no where near being able to grade them myself
or even guess about a grade.
But, The one question that comes up multiple times in my mind,
why does AU56 or higher, sell more than an MS61 or even MS62?
am i missing something?

Comments

• TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 317 ✭✭✭

While a coin with any wear will have a lower technical grade than a coin without wear, the higher AU grades usually have positive eye appeal, and are more attractive than the lower MS grades (which can have issues such as impaired luster, weak strike, or unattractive toning/spotting). The market will sometimes value the attractive AU coin higher than bottom-end MS examples, especially if truly attractive examples are rare for the particular issue.

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinNovice said:
    I am new to learning about grading coins, no where near being able to grade them myself
    or even guess about a grade.

If this is the case, might I recommend the Grading 101 videos on our host's YouTube?

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Think about the grade as 2 part. MS means no wear on surfaces and looks like the cartwheel all good and such. But if it was in a bag or stored and has bag marks and dings. Might have ugly appearance and weak strike so. Collectors for many coins will pay more for a AU58 then MS 61.
    MS 61 could have dings marks and poor rims. Count the scratches or ding on a MS and light strike and numbers go down. Here is example

These Are AU58 and AU55

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

Th
    ese are MS

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM that 31 looks 58 to me. Nice coins all.

Ms 62

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• CoinNoviceCoinNovice Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

wow thank you all for your response!
    it makes it easier to understand now,
    and the pictures are great!
    im sure as i read more and watch more videos i will
    get better.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why can an AU-58 sell for more than an MS-60? For the AU and low Mint State grades, eye appeal trumps the technical grade.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:

Before I bought it, it used to live in an NGC AU58 holder.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:

@Smudge said:

Before I bought it, it used to live in an NGC AU58 holder.

I see.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

My mantra is, and has been....'Focus on the coin, not the label.' Sure, learn to grade (books, videos, seminars)...but the coin is the important item.....Cheers, RickO

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Depends on the AU. Sometimes it will just have a touch of wear to knock it out of MS and otherwise be very clean. Those are the AU's to look for and they can be far more attractive than a baggy 60-62.

Any time. Any Clime. A nice AU with a little rub beats the pants off of a low MS.

I don't care about the price.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are the every man registry sets that only allow coins up to AU 58+, I believe, which could also contribute.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file