Home U.S. Coin Forum

Paradise, CA - This Old House program

1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 9, 2019 6:54PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I was watching TOH this afternoon and they mentioned that they were going to have 4 episodes later this year or early 2020 on their efforts to help rebuild after the 2018 fires. Should be very interesting.

Did they contact CrazyHoundDog?

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
My Ebay

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That should be interesting...I would watch that to see how they go about the cleaning/detox/replacement of building and materials. Cheers, RickO

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read that since 2012, 1500 fires have been started by PG&E in California.
    The problem is that monopolies have no incentive to upgrade or replace anything.
    Somebody needs to turn this electric company into a CO-OP, owned by the users only.
    Many rural electric companies are CO-OPs and they work just fine. I belonged to one in Colorado, Intermountain Rural Electric Association, and they were great. Each homeowner got the opportunity to buy a share of stock in the company (business's too). This was not mandatory but we got two shares, one for the home and one for our business. When we left Colorado we continued to receive yearly dividends on the two shares for about 20 years. Once the house check was well over $200 for the year!
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1st part airs this weekend on This Old House. Check your local PBS listing for your time.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:

With all due respect, I don't think any fires in California have been "started" by PG&E. Pacific Gas and Electric. Not a single one. When I was a kid, I watched our ranch house burn to the ground. In California. It was late at night. We all got out safe. I remember the sparks flaming into the air and my grandma on her knees crying. And guess what?......The place had NO electricity hook-up. We had no electricity. Hey.......it's California. The place is a tinderbox. PG&E had nothing to do with it. Now for a reality check. The crews at PG&E and Southern California Edison work their butts off doing the best they can to clear brush, upgrade transformers, and replace outdated equipment. EVERYDAY! They do it at my place and I can't be the only one. The bigger problem is people who don't clean up their property. They get notices. They don't comply. Then there is a fire and of course they blame someone else. Nature is nature. Human or natural. The utility companies in California are as much responsible for wild fires as I am for the Rain In Spain......which is ZERO!

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

@AUandAG said:

With all due respect, I don't think any fires in California have been "started" by PG&E. Pacific Gas and Electric. Not a single one. When I was a kid, I watched our ranch house burn to the ground. In California. It was late at night. We all got out safe. I remember the sparks flaming into the air and my grandma on her knees crying. And guess what?......The place had NO electricity hook-up. We had no electricity. Hey.......it's California. The place is a tinderbox. PG&E had nothing to do with it. Now for a reality check. The crews at PG&E and Southern California Edison work their butts off doing the best they can to clear brush, upgrade transformers, and replace outdated equipment. EVERYDAY! They do it at my place and I can't be the only one. The bigger problem is people who don't clean up their property. They get notices. They don't comply. Then there is a fire and of course they blame someone else. Nature is nature. Human or natural. The utility companies in California are as much responsible for wild fires as I am for the Rain In Spain......which is ZERO!

The fact that PG&E has filed for bankruptcy protection tells me that THEY think they might be liable.

• MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anytime anybody starts with “all do respect”...protect your groin.

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

@AUandAG said:

As a former Californian I will disagree to some extent about PG&E - they have acknowledged liability in the N. California fires. But I will concur as a former property owner there who hired laborers to clear firebreaks on the ranch with trimmers and bulldozers - that neighbours often took the cheaper route - no clearing at all. Clearing breaks is not cheap, but fire damage is much more consequential.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think there's any doubt their equipment was directly involved in the start of the fire. As for the degree of their liability..... well, the courts will decide that. I doubt anyone there intentionally wished for a fire to kill people and destroy property. In a lot of the word such things are called accidents and bad luck. In California, lawyers call such a thing opportunity.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

PG&E got too big for it's britches, which is what happens to a lot of monopolies. The State of CA allowed PG&E to become so big it could not do what it should. Pretty easy to see that.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have it recorded and am in the midst of watching it right now (with a short break to check in here.)

• ponderitponderit Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you Google Paradise California and go to the satellite image of the town the satellite pics are post-fire, zoom in. It is truly unbelievable, the devastation,,, Joe, always thinking about you and your family, and so happy that you all made it out OK. Thank you PCGS for seeing to Joe's collection, if there's any kind of silver lining you've provided it.

Successful BST transactions with Rob41281, crazyhounddog, Commoncents, CarlWohlford, blu62vette, Manofcoins, Monstarcoins, coinlietenant, iconbuster, RWW,Nolawyer, NewParadigm, Flatwoods, papabear, Yellowkid, Ankur, Pccoins, tlake22, drddm, Connecticoin, Cladiator, lkeigwin, pursuitofliberty
    edited February 1, 2020 4:05PM

@bolivarshagnasty said:

The fact that PG&E has filed for bankruptcy protection tells me that THEY think they might be liable.

You are absolutely correct. My post was mostly pure snark. The part about the house burning down was true. Unfortunately. But the rest was a joke. I guess you have to live here then you would get the joke. Bottom line......PG&E and SoCal Edison sub contract out the brush and tree trimming and tree removal and they DO NOT follow-up on the work. Actually the sub contractors make matters worse. They cut the brush etc. but it's not uncommon for them to not remove the cuttings. They leave piles of what becomes dry tinder. It's a nightmare. There is also a problem with so many city people moving into rural areas who are clueless about wildfire prevention. Building vacation homes etc. But either way........look out for more fires. That's just the way it is. It's California. It's the nature of things here. People or no people.

I might not know a lot about coins But I do know about fire prevention. It's the family business. House fires, etc. should be THE major concern for EVERYONE! It doesn't just happen to the other guy. It could happen to you. Very, very, common. It happens in your town. Everyday. Take every precaution you can. The lives of you and your loved ones depend on it. I HATE showing up after the fact. HATE IT! 99% of it is preventable.

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last year 2019 In my home town of Kenai we had about 30 days of NO RAIN during July. We live in a rainy area but not for 30 days! I hated it and we had the very small town of Cooper Landing about 40 miles away in the pass very close to burning up! It took the brave men and women along with the locals to do all they could to keep Cooper Landing form burning up.
    It was eerie with ALL those days of Sunshine I ended up hating it because you were scared it was a tinder box in my town. Hopefully never again. I like and pray for rain now!

edited February 1, 2020 6:06PM

Hey,Gluggo, try years of no rain. This winter it rained for two days in December. That's it. I'm not a Global Warming guy but......its 85° here right now. It's February 1! I keep doing the Rain Dance but the Rain God is not listening. The trees are falling down in the wind. Something is different.

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hydrant where you at California? Cause that sounds like your in hell. Sorry hydrant.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file