Home Sports Talk

Greatest NFL Comeback Ever

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

Curious what you guys think. My vote is obviously the Patriots

Greatest NFL Comeback Ever

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Patriots vs Atlanta down 28-3

Patriots

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone who votes anything other than the first choice, is primarily a soccer fan and favorite drink is lemonade.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other and name it

JPP after blowing up his hand

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other and name it

1960 U.S. Open, Arnold Palmer.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭
    Buffalo vs Houston down 35-3

I do think that the Bills game, playing with their backup QB (Frank Reich) has a slight edge over the Pats in the SB. The Pats did have Brady leading them back, along with an Atlanta team that was gasping for air.

Other and name it

@LarkinCollector said:

J.P. Parise hurt his hand?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would take the Super Bowl comeback against the Falcons because it was the championship at stake. If you lose the Super Bowl, it would have hurt a lot more than losing a conference championship. The Falcons had a potent offense that season, and I remember thinking at halftime that it was going to be a blowout. Not the case. Tom Brady took his troops, and charged that damn hill.

@doubledragon said:
    I would take the Super Bowl comeback against the Falcons because it was the championship at stake. If you lose the Super Bowl, it would have hurt a lot more than losing a conference championship. The Falcons had a potent offense that season, and I remember thinking at halftime that it was going to be a blowout. Not the case. Tom Brady took his troops, and charged that damn hill.

I was so steaming mad at halftime I almost left my buddies house and drove home which was about an hour and a half away. I was miserable then it turned into the greatest game ever. Well for me anyways

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

how can buffalo be on a list of greatest anything?

@bronco2078 said:
    how can buffalo be on a list of greatest anything?

I like it and hit the LOL for ya but you didn’t vote. 🤷‍♂️

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

I was so steaming mad at halftime I almost left my buddies house and drove home which was about an hour and a half away. I was miserable then it turned into the greatest game ever. Well for me anyways

I remember not even watching the game after halftime because I also thought it was over. Then I decided to tune back in, and I couldn't believe what happened. The Atlanta Falcons, in my opinion, still have not recovered from that game.

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

I remember not even watching the game after halftime because I also thought it was over. Then I decided to tune back in, and I couldn't believe what happened. The Atlanta Falcons, in my opinion, still have not recovered from that game.

The Coach and OC should have been fired immediately after the game. No way they have gotten over that, the owner and his wife coming down on the field watching it was priceless though

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2019 2:19PM

Buff-Houston with a disclaimer. I had $50 on Houston getting three points as I recall. Blowout win became a push. Buffalo was spectacular and seemingly scored at will.

I am sure that the Pats comeback was spectacular as well, but I did not hear about it until next day in the newspaper.

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

The Coach and OC should have been fired immediately after the game. No way they have gotten over that, the owner and his wife coming down on the field watching it was priceless though

I recently saw a clip of Matt Ryan walking off the field after that game, and he looked back as the Patriots were celebrating and the confetti was coming down. He looked destroyed. I imagine he'll never get over that game. That could be his only chance at having a ring.

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

I recently saw a clip of Matt Ryan walking off the field after that game, and he looked back as the Patriots were celebrating and the confetti was coming down. He looked destroyed. I imagine he'll never get over that game. That could be his only chance at having a ring.

5 years at $150,000,000.

Somehow he will survive the indignity.

Other and name it

@Coinstartled said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

5 years at $150,000,000.

The Atlanta fans might not.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Close between Pat's and Buffalo. I went with Pat's because it was in a SB.

edited November 6, 2019 3:42PM

I’m shocked that nobody has given a Montana a vote. Almost as shocked that Joe decided to go off script and vote for a golf event 🙄

<<< Patriots vs Atlanta down 28-3 >>>

For those who didn't watch the game, the "greatest" comeback just based on the above is a bit misleading. Even though of course coming back from 25 points down is pretty good in itself.

But what made it the greatest, in the 4th quarter if I recall correctly i think there was around eight or nine minutes left in the game, the Patriots were behind by 16 points. So not only did the Patriots need two touchdowns, they also needed to convert both 2 point conversions. Making the two 2 point conversions may have been the trickiest part. All that and the Falcons couldn't score any more points. And of course all that just to tie the game and get into overtime. Then try to win it in overtime.

Couldn't realistically be done right? But it was done.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

I’m shocked that nobody has given a Montana a vote. Almost as shocked that Joe decided to go off script and vote for a golf event 🙄

clearly the pharmacy is closed today

• PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Down 25 points midway thru the 3rd period in a Super Bowl is tough to top!

@MLBdays said:
    Doug Flutie to Phelan.......UM - BC

That was unbelievable!! I was watching that when it happened, I was 14 and was at my buddy’s house and his older Sister and her guy friends were freaking out, unbelievable pass play.

@stevek said:
    <<< Patriots vs Atlanta down 28-3 >>>

For those who didn't watch the game, the "greatest" comeback just based on the above is a bit misleading. Even though of course coming back from 25 points down is pretty good in itself.

But what made it the greatest, in the 4th quarter if I recall correctly i think there was around eight or nine minutes left in the game, the Patriots were behind by 16 points. So not only did the Patriots need two touchdowns, they also needed to convert both 2 point conversions. Making the two 2 point conversions may have been the trickiest part. All that and the Falcons couldn't score any more points. And of course all that just to tie the game and get into overtime. Then try to win it in overtime.

Couldn't realistically be done right? But it was done.

That’s mainly why it’s insane, 2 2 point conversions to be made and it happened.

@JoeBanzai said:

@Coinstartled said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

5 years at $150,000,000.

My world of intense fandom ended in the early 1990's. I was a diehard Tigers fan, as much as a Lions fan as one could be considering they sucked and cheered on the champion Bad Boys.

I have no doubt that the 8 figure plus athletes want to win and want to count the rings, but I believe it to be more of an individual accomplishment to them as opposed to a special reward to the town where they play.

I have no problem with free agency or the mega contracts, the result though is that players are essentially hired guns that have little loyalty to a given city. LeBron James who I consider the GOAT of the NBA may be the best example of that thinking, and that is ok. He is entitled to benefit himself as best he is able.

It is tough though to consider him to be your guy when last year he was Cleveland's guy and next year he will be Golden States guy (you get the idea).

I truly envy Dimeman and Perkdog as they enjoy the passion of the home team that many of us once did. It is like Chrismas every day, with the occasional lump of coal.

Well at least college basketball is rolling out ten miles from here. The most corrupt coach in the nation is still in control. Maybe I can find the old rose colored glasses as they have a pretty good (and expensive) team this year.

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

perk when my team isn't in it, I have no memory.

ask me about Roman Gabriel throwing to Billy Truax.

@hammer1 said:
    perk when my team isn't in it, I have no memory.

ask me about Roman Gabriel throwing to Billy Truax.

I respect that. It’s Old School 🏈

@Coinstartled said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@Coinstartled said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

5 years at $150,000,000.

My world of intense fandom ended in the early 1990's. I was a diehard Tigers fan, as much as a Lions fan as one could be considering they sucked and cheered on the champion Bad Boys.

I have no doubt that the 8 figure plus athletes want to win and want to count the rings, but I believe it to be more of an individual accomplishment to them as opposed to a special reward to the town where they play.

I have no problem with free agency or the mega contracts, the result though is that players are essentially hired guns that have little loyalty to a given city. LeBron James who I consider the GOAT of the NBA may be the best example of that thinking, and that is ok. He is entitled to benefit himself as best he is able.

It is tough though to consider him to be your guy when last year he was Cleveland's guy and next year he will be Golden States guy (you get the idea).

I truly envy Dimeman and Perkdog as they enjoy the passion of the home team that many of us once did. It is like Chrismas every day, with the occasional lump of coal.

Well at least college basketball is rolling out ten miles from here. The most corrupt coach in the nation is still in control. Maybe I can find the old rose colored glasses as they have a pretty good (and expensive) team this year.

I don’t take a personal interest in the players usually, The Patriots are my team and the Sox are a secondary team for me, it’s all about the Patriots first BUT for some reason when a Pats player leaves to another team it don’t bother me really but when a Sox player leaves and joins the Yankees it really pisses me off.

edited November 6, 2019 6:18PM

You are fortunate to have a dynasty team in your backyard, Perk.

Wings didn't get real good until I left Detroit.

;)

• edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other and name it

Broncos vs Browns
    January 11, 1987
    "The Drive"

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

@perkdog said:

@Coinstartled said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@Coinstartled said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

5 years at $150,000,000.

I don’t take a personal interest in the players usually, The Patriots are my team and the Sox are a secondary team for me, it’s all about the Patriots first BUT for some reason when a Pats player leaves to another team it don’t bother me really but when a Sox player leaves and joins the Yankees it really pisses me off.

If anyone ever starts a thread about Babe Ruth going from the Red Sox to the Yankees, i would suggest that nobody informs Perkdog about it.

;)

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2019 8:17PM

I was watching the game and when it got sort of stupid I decided to go outside and split some firewood. I could see the TV through a driveway window so I cracked it, turned up the volume and started swinging that axe. after awhile I found myself leaning at the window to watch and finally went inside, amazed that they'd come back and won the game.

another exciting one was the Browns vs. Jets Divisional playoff that went to double-overtime with Cleveland winning 23-20. the following week the Denver Broncos beat Cleveland in single-overtime by an identical score.

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

he is working at taco bell now good call

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Body is required.
    Tried to post just my vote but Body is required.
    In that case I'll take Jessica Alba's pre child birth body.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@Coinstartled said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@Coinstartled said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

5 years at $150,000,000.

welcome to life ! its about time you caught on, all this time you were thinking every woman you ever knew had never even kissed a fella right? :D

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would give coinstartled the Debbie Downer post of the year award,
    or a lifetime Downer award for his complete body of work. Whichever, he's earned it.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@Darin said:
    or a lifetime Downer award for his complete body of work. Whichever, he's earned it.

How do I argue with a guy that still bakes oatmeal cookies for Santa.

@Coinstartled said:

@Darin said:

How do I argue with a guy that still bakes oatmeal cookies for Santa.

😂😂😂

@edwardjulio said:
    Broncos vs Browns
    January 11, 1987
    "The Drive"

Should be named “The Fumble”

• Other and name it

Nick Faldo beating Norman at the Masters.....

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

32 points is greater than 25 points. Bills win

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

@JoeBanzai said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Who the heck is J.P. Parise??

Other and name it

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Former North Star player and father of current Wild forward Zach Parise.

Who the heck is JPP and why did he blow up his hand?

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Jason Paul Pierre, Defensive Lineman for the Giants and an idiot. He blew off part of his hand playing with fireworks

Other and name it

@perkdog said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Jason Paul Pierre, Defensive Lineman for the Giants and an idiot. He blew off part of his hand playing with fireworks

Oh, ok now I remember hearing about that.

Thank you.

@perkdog said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@LarkinCollector said:

OK, I remember him too. If I remember correctly he played after that with a big mitt on his hand.

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

Most people forget that, late in that game, Matt Ryan took a sack on third down late in the game to take them out of field goal range when that FG would all but lock up the game. Talk about not realizing the situation! And why was the coach calling a pass play anyway. Just couldn't believe that when it happened.

Other and name it

@JRR300 said:
    Most people forget that, late in that game, Matt Ryan took a sack on third down late in the game to take them out of field goal range when that FG would all but lock up the game. Talk about not realizing the situation! And why was the coach calling a pass play anyway. Just couldn't believe that when it happened.

I remember that. If you decide to pass in that situation, you need to call a play where the QB can throw the ball away.

Horribly stupid play call and execution. No guarantee they would have made the FG.

Greatest comeback is that we have 26 votes.

2 years ago there were about 4 of us here.

:/

@Coinstartled said:
    Greatest comeback is that we have 26 votes.

2 years ago there were about 4 of us here.

Great call, you are correct too, it’s definitely been better here for awhile now compared to the ghost town days