Home Sports Talk

Your favorite sitcom characters.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not much going on in sports so here is a diversion. List up to ten.

1. Eddie Haskell --Leave it to Beaver.
  2. Ralph Kramden -- Honeymooners.
  3. Newman -- Seinfeld. The best of a great cast. Used sparingly which made his appearances memorable.
  4. Louie DePalma -- Taxi
  5. Grandpa Munster -- Munster
  6. Barney Fife -- Andy Griffith Show.
  7. Maj Winchester -- MASH
  8. Mr. Haney -- Green Acres. Terrible show but Pat Butram played the Haney charachter well.
  9. Laverne DeFazio -- Laverne and Shirley. Found her to be one of the few really funny lady comics.
  10. Mel Cooley -- Dick Van Dyke show. Splendid straight man.

Realized that I missed many sitcom runs entirely, especially the more recent ones. This is what i got.

Comments

• lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Michael Scott - The Office - The Robert Deniro of sitcoms conveying a vast array of emotions with facial expressions alone
    Larry David - Curb your Enthusiasm
    Jim Halpert - The Office
    Ryan Howard - The Office
    Alex P Keaton - Family Ties
    Jerry Seinfeld - Seinfeld
    Darryl Philbin - The Office
    Frank Costanza - Seinfeld (George's father always yelling out a word while he spoke)

Last 2 can be anyone other than characters from 2-1/2 Men or Big Bang Theory - 2 of the most inexplicably successful shows in history with "days ahead of time" telegraphed punchlines.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lightningboy said:
    Michael Scott - The Office - The Robert Deniro of sitcoms conveying a vast array of emotions with facial expressions alone
    Larry David - Curb your Enthusiasm
    Jim Halpert - The Office
    Ryan Howard - The Office
    Alex P Keaton - Family Ties
    Jerry Seinfeld - Seinfeld
    Darryl Philbin - The Office
    Frank Costanza - Seinfeld (George's father always yelling out a word while he spoke)

Last 2 can be anyone other than characters from 2-1/2 Men or Big Bang Theory - 2 of the most inexplicably successful shows in history with "days ahead of time" telegraphed punchlines.

I hope you mean the real office not the american version. Why is it even a thing to copy a hit show with american actors , just show the episodes that are already made.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool...an argument on the second reply.

:)

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kramer all the way. "Hey Buddy"

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fonzarelli

Crap...I forgot Al Bundy.

I am thinking #4 and dropping Mel Cooley.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll never forget Cliff Clavin and his Jeopardy dream board. And how he clutched at final Jeopardy.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beckett - Castle couldn't survive without her (even though that Fillion sissy blocked me on Twitter, it was still an entertaining detective show)
    (Whatever JLHs character was on Ghost Whisperer) - the series wouldn't exist without her "accoutrements"
    Finch or Reese - Person on Interest was just a bit ahead of it's time, both were fantastic and the rest of the cast pretty incredible also
    Elliot Anderson - perfectly timed, but Mr Robot has to move on to bigger things and the series will end far before it's time (sorry Slater)

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Morey Amsterdam on the Dick Van Dyke Show.

Christopher Lloyd on Taxi

Peter Boyle on Everybody Loves Raymond

Larry Linville on MASH

Alvy Moore on Green Acres (Hank Kimball)

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alf on ALF.

• arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Roger - American Dad

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Edith Bunker.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Uncle Fester or Grandpa Munster.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stars
    Lucy Ricardo (Lucille Ball) - I Love Lucy
    Alex P. Keaton - Michael J Fox - Family Ties
    Kevin Arnold (Fred Savage) - The Wonder Years
    Ralph Kramden (Jackie Gleason) - The Honeymooners
    David Addison (Bruce Willis) - Moonlighting

Supporting
    Ted Baxter (Ted Knight) - The Mary Tyler Moore Show
    Ernie ‘Coach’ Pantuso (Nick Colasanto) - Cheers
    Moe Szyslak, Apu Nahasapeemapetilon, Chief Wiggum, Comic Book Guy, Carl Carlson, Professor Frink, et al (Hank Azaria) - The Simpsons
    Bill McNeill (Phil Hartman) Newsradio
    Lt. Bookman (Philip Baker Hall) - Seinfeld*

*I am a massive fan of the show and this is perhaps the first GREAT guest performance of the series. And _The Library_ is one of the best written and performed episodes - without a doubt.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

I may add a plus one for the entire cast of Barney Miller. Drier and funnier than hell and no one actor really stook out. They worked well together.

Also have to add Barney Fife- I grew up watching The Andy Griffith Show re-runs, and he really made that show what it is. Also Ralph Kramden and Norton - I couldn't wait to see what kind of hair brained scheme they would come up with to get rich.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

Lt. Bookman (Philip Baker Hall) - Seinfeld*

*I am a massive fan of the show and this is perhaps the first GREAT guest performance of the series. And _The Library_ is one of the best written and performed episodes - without a doubt.

https://youtu.be/D9tP9fI2zbE

Never watched the show until a friend recommended it well into the run. First episode I saw, said WTF and was hooked.

@LarkinCollector said:
    Beckett - Castle couldn't survive without her (even though that Fillion sissy blocked me on Twitter, it was still an entertaining detective show)

Do you watch Fillion's new show the Rookie? Episode 1 of this season he looks deathly ill, like he lost 30 pounds over the summer break.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Never watched the show until a friend recommended it well into the run. First episode I saw, said WTF and was hooked.

And Steinbrenner still wouldn't fire him. LOL

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Do you watch Fillion's new show the Rookie? Episode 1 of this season he looks deathly ill, like he lost 30 pounds over the summer break.

No, the preview I saw looked pretty awful.

• lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

I hope you mean the real office not the american version. Why is it even a thing to copy a hit show with american actors , just show the episodes that are already made.

If you actually watched the British version, you would recognize that the character names I listed were not from that show.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

1)Col. Flagg on the early original cast of MASH. He was the paranoid, patriot CID/CIA, intelligence officer. P.S. any character from the original cast of MASH (TV). 2)Barney Fyfe. 3)Archie Bunker. Never fail to watch these reruns of the reruns of the reruns.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Flagg was good.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's something different for any Futurama fans. Roberto the crazy robot was a great reoccurring character.

https://youtu.be/djVjHOwLnXs****
    https://youtu.be/Ns8z1RYf9mM
    https://youtu.be/Ke2SAjb1q0g
    https://youtu.be/hg1fyWkJ_E8
    https://youtu.be/Qs8kDiOwPBA

@lightningboy said:
    @bronco2078 said:

If you actually watched the British version, you would recognize that the character names I listed were not from that show.

I didn't actually watch either ! :D

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    1)Col. Flagg on the early original cast of MASH. He was the paranoid, patriot CID/CIA, intelligence officer. P.S. any character from the original cast of MASH (TV). 2)Barney Fyfe. 3)Archie Bunker. Never fail to watch these reruns of the reruns of the reruns.

Funfact he is also rumored to be the current whistleblower at the whitehouse

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lumpy and Eddie Haskel on Leave It To Beaver.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

While not personal favorites, it is always worth mentioning that the best friends of brothers Ben and Mike Seaver on Growing Pains were nicknamed (and referred to almost exclusively as) Stinky and Boner.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    While not personal favorites, it is always worth mentioning that the best friends of brothers Ben and Mike Seaver on Growing Pains were nicknamed (and referred to almost exclusively as) Stinky and Boner.

Information I did not need to know. ;-)

@bronco2078 said:

@lightningboy said:
    @bronco2078 said:

I didn't actually watch either ! :D

POTD!!

:D

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Also have to add Barney Fife- I grew up watching The Andy Griffith Show re-runs, and he really made that show what it is. Also Ralph Kramden and Norton - I couldn't wait to see what kind of hair brained scheme they would come up with to get rich.

I never saw an episode of the Andy Griffith show that wasn't funny if Don Knotts was in it, then after he
    left the show I never again saw a funny episode of Andy Griffith. And no Howard was not funny, neither
    was the deputy that took Barney's place.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

no one wants to hear the story of the nickname stinky boner

@Darin said:

@doubledragon said:

I never saw an episode of the Andy Griffith show that wasn't funny if Don Knotts was in it, then after he
    left the show I never again saw a funny episode of Andy Griffith. And no Howard was not funny, neither

huh ? yeah huh? yeah huh? yeah huh? , you mean that guy?

• arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

George Glass.

edited October 8, 2019 7:37PM

@bronco2078 said:

@Darin said:

@doubledragon said:

huh ? yeah huh? yeah huh? yeah huh? , you mean that guy?

Warren. He was only in about six episodes. They knew they were screwed.

I liked Howard, and still watched the now in living color, show. Ir was different but still decent.

Remember when they took poor paralyzed floyd and propped him up with a board like a scarecrow ?

Andy was kind of a jerk

Andy was a jerk. Always lying to the townsfolk to get ahead/

Locked up a whole band to get his buddy an audition.

https://youtu.be/lu3r3qesCrs

and on guitar , mr roscoe P coltrain

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Moe, Larry, Curly, Shemp, Joe...
    "Now go away son you bother me"
    LOL...What?

edited October 9, 2019 12:37AM

@Coinstartled said:
    Locked up a whole band to get his buddy an audition.

https://youtu.be/lu3r3qesCrs

I always loved that episode, especially at the end, when Jim Lindsey gets ticked off and starts playing the heck out of that guitar, and then the band members join in. Great stuff!

One of my favorite episodes of The Andy Griffith Show is the case of the punch in the nose, when Barney re-opens that old case between Mr. Foley and Floyd about the shave Mr. Foley didn't want. Everyone starts punching each other in the nose. I always get a kick out of watching Andy get riled up because of Barney.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm tellin momma on you ....... unless you give me a quarter

Phil Silvers as Sgt. Bilko certainly deserves an honorable mention.

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

The Big Ragoo, Carmine Ragusa. Don't remember his real name.
    Jake from Two and a half men.
    Ensign Parker, Tim Conway from McHales Navy

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mork!

and Mindy too!!!!! ;)

Steve