Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Found a rare card on eBay Poll Question

If you found a rare card on eBay (say a 10k card for $100 bucks) and bought it. What would you do after ?

Found a rare card on eBay Poll Question

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 8, 2019 5:47PM
    send a small %

Sure, if I got a 10k card for $100, I'd slip him a $5.00 tip. Why not.

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭

These types of threads always turn out well.

The best answer is to do what YOU think is right BUT keep your mouth shut about it either way. There is always someone who will judge you for your choice regardless and if you lean more towards "take the deal and run", you'll likely feel the biggest brunt of the judgment.

However, we all must be responsible for our actions both as a buyer and seller, so there is a case for any choice no matter how it turns out.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

@addicted2ebay said:
    If you found a rare card on eBay (say a 10k card for $100 bucks) and bought it. What would you do after ?

Did this happen?

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

My option isn’t a choice. Keep the card and have it be the center of my collection.

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭
    keep all the 100% of the profit

Done this already with countless Fleer Uribes. Havent shared a dime with any of those little old ladies, either! >:)

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm gonna flip this.

On Pawn Stars, Rick (and yes a setup) tells the owner they're asking too little. E.g. he may say your 200 buck "asking" is a 3K something or other.

And he offers them 1500. They counter with: "can't you go 2800?"

Moral somewhere in this story?

Mike
  • Options
    tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

@mrmopar said:

The best answer is to do what YOU think is right BUT keep your mouth shut about it either way. There is always someone who will judge you for your choice regardless and if you lean more towards "take the deal and run", you'll likely feel the biggest brunt of the judgment.

However, we all must be responsible for our actions both as a buyer and seller, so there is a case for any choice no matter how it turns out.

put yourself in the sellers shoes, and ask yourself how would you feel?

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without further details it’s a hard question to answer. Online or in person? Auction or straight sale? I am guessing this isn’t hypothetical and there is real money and feelings at stake so I don’t want to upset anyone.

As a general response, if the seller did not know what they had, that is their issue and the buyer owes them nothing. If you list an item at a price and it sells at a price, the item is sold.

If it was a mistake by the seller, a ‘$10000’ sticker with a misplaced dot looking like ‘$100.00’ or a wrongly placed decimal point on eBay, I would think there’s some room for reparations or even a full return - in particular if the buyer was knowingly taking advantage.

Flip the script, if someone overpaid for a card, would the seller be obligated to return some of the money because it set a new high - double the old one from a month ago - for the card?

That doesn’t seem realistic to me.

Again, more details to the story are needed.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2019 6:26AM
    send a small %

In all seriousness, if this scenario really happened to you and you feel guilty, you could send him some extra funds. I would probably do that, because if the card is worth 10k it would probably eat away at my conscience. I never like to take advantage of anyone. I couldn't send too much though. If my wife found out, she might make me sleep in the tool shed again. I hate it in the tool shed. There's spiders in there. I would send something though.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2019 6:50AM

I recently landed my white whale. Somebody who knew me saw it listed at a ridiculously low price, snagged it, and then offered to sell it to me for what he paid. The price was so low, and the gesture so generous, that I threw the guy a significant finder's fee. However, if I had bought it directly from the eBay seller, I wouldn't have given them an extra penny. If they list a card for 10-15% of its value, that's their problem. And since it was a set break, I would assume they'd do their homework.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Not trying to be funny with this one ... if I saw a $10k card selling for $100, I would be really concerned it’s a fake. I have to be 100% sure when on eBay, even with the protections offered. So I probably wouldn’t have bought it in the first place.

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rttrffg2012 said:
    Keep the money.
    Sorry but it’s the sellers responsibility to know.

I’ve sold cards too cheap that sold in 5 minutes. Sent them to the buyer without complaining.

I might buy additional cards from the seller at market value if I felt generous.

+1

Shane

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not letting morals get involved in this type of a situation, if I don’t buy it someone else will. Imagine trying to contact the person and someone swiping it before a response if any?

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2019 1:37PM

However, That show has been exposed as “staged in advanced” many times.

Totally agree from what I understand - that's why I wrote (and yes a setup).

My point was - after learning that the person would receive 1500 rather than 200, they got greedy IMO by asking for 2800 on a 3K item, e.g. I've made up the numbers but I'm sure anyone who has seen the show has experienced a seller like this?

Mike
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

@GreenSneakers said:
    Not trying to be funny with this one ... if I saw a $10k card selling for $100, I would be really concerned it’s a fake. I have to be 100% sure when on eBay, even with the protections offered. So I probably wouldn’t have bought it in the first place.

This would be me too.

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭

I addressed that in my initial reply. If you are smart, you as a seller don't find yourself in this position. If you do find yourself in this position anyway, then you didn't do your homework and you deserve what you get if someone who did do their homework gets one over on you.

Unless it was the actions of someone else involved (such as an employee mismarking or misreading a label), no seller can seriously cry about selling something too cheaply when the seller themselves assumes full responsibility for the pricing and the actual sale.

If you have something exceedingly rare and you don't know it, what can your excuse possibly be if you let someone buy it for much less than it is worth? You have to offer it for sale to begin with or accept an unsolicited offer to even complete a sale to complain about (again assuming a third party was not involved w/o your knowledge). Some potentials answers...You were too lazy to do the research and price it accordingly? You were too eager to get it priced and sold? You were not willing to wait to consult a more expert opinion? You couldn't find any information so you just went ahead and priced it for what you thought it might be worth?

As much as buyers must be aware, so do sellers.

@tonylags said:

@mrmopar said:

put yourself in the sellers shoes, and ask yourself how would you feel?

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatever I paid, i figure it's higher than what their local card shop or pawn shop offered them.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years back there was a scenario on this board where a member bought one of the very rare Cal Ripken rookies and a debate ensued over what was the right thing to do. A few roasted me for saying EBAY is one big scavenger hunt and if you are going to sell something it is on you to do the research. My views are still the same. No one forced you to sell it and if you listed it on a public website looking for a buyer it is not their responsibility to tell you it is priced wrong or offer you full market value.

If a person came to you asking for your expertise and you give them advice then I feel that informing the person to the best of your knowledge is your fiduciary duty. Two entirely different scenarios.

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

I wonder how often in this situation another buyer who is aware of the situation but is late to the party contacts the seller and offers more or advises the seller about his mistake, causing the seller to cancel. I am just a buyer on eBay and this has happened to me a few times.

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al