Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are there any numismatic mysteries that have yet to be solved?

Comments

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2019 6:14PM

@KindaNewish said:
    I know that this will get buried, but I am truly curious why so few people collect twenty cent coins by die variety?
    Although I know that there are a few others beside the authors of the excellent doubledimes.com and me, but I almost always get the stink eye from dealers when I walk into a B&M or sit in front of a display at a show when I ask to see their 20c coins and tell them I'm looking for oddball die varieties.

There is a superb reference book available online for free, and the authors both are available and very helpful.

And so many of the other series, especially the seated and bust series have many passionate collectors. Nobody bats an eye at a collector seeking to fill a hole in their bust half die variety set or their seated dime die set.
    But twenty cents? so many are content with a single example to fill their Dansco 7070, when there is still so much to be discovered or uncovered. I am by no means an expert, but I often find scarcer die varieties (we're talking R5 or better) offered without attribution at no premium at all over the common die varieties.

I could see this as understandable if a series had no published detailed reference (I'm looking at you, 3c nickel), but the knowledge is out there for these coins, and sometimes I feel that I'm the only one looking.

Probably some varieties have to show up in the Red Book or the Cherrypicker's Guide to get more interest.
    Also, when a variety is "easy to see", like a big die crack or RPD/DDO/DDR with a lot of separation, it will get more interest.
    (Like the 1876-CC double LIBERTY; too bad so few are available).

There is also the "chicken or egg first" problem - some people want to collect varieties because they believe they are
    rare and can be resold at a profit. But with few collectors for varieties, values will stay low.

A somewhat good 3cn die varieties book was written and published by Allan Gifford.
    It is out of print and rare, but it was scanned recently and is on the Newman Numismatic Portal
    https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/555545
    The book is somewhat focused on RPDs, DDOs, and clashes, etc., rather than on die pairs. But it's a start.

I am interested in die cracks, and there are quite a few on 3 cent nickels.
    As an experiment, I tried to identify as many different 1866 die pairs as possible using online auction photos.
    Gifford listed about 18.
    I found an additional 35 or so with at least 2 examples each, plus probably at least 15 more with a single example each.
    I concluded this would be a very difficult series to complete by die pair.
    This situation can discourage collectors as well,
    although many collect half dimes with pretty much no chance of completion due to the unique 1870-s.
    The 20c series (by date/mint mark) is short (7 coins), but the extremely rare key 1876-CC will discourage many.

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yosclimber , I always enjoy your research and your willingness to share your knowledge on this platform, I find that I push the "like" & "agree" buttons for you more than anybody, including RogerB.

As for the 3c nickels? challenge accepted.
    I'm off to the NNP, wish me and my bank account luck.

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

Why were there no 1904 Quarters minted in San Francisco?

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Were the 1918/7-D nickel, 1918/7-S quarter, 1943/2 nickel, and 1942/1 P&D dimes mint errors or were they purposely made overdates as a war time measure to conserve die steel? Some theorize that they may be errors made by new inexperienced mint employees filling positions of mint employees that went to war.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know that this will get buried, but I am truly curious why so few people collect twenty cent coins by die variety

"Hey Jed, hand me that shovel!"

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to know who stole my VF Columbian half when I was about 10 or 11 years old?

• Options

How about die polish marks on the 1965 SMS set? Fact or fiction?

I have two sets with these marks on every coin. The marks actually look like row upon row of little 'Vs' like this...
    vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv across all surfaces of the coins and can only be seen under magnification. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

• Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

It’s always been a mystery to me why no mint state 1793 Strawberry Leaf large cents have appeared.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2019 8:29AM

@edwardjulio said:
    Why did the Liberty Seated quarter reverse die show the feather detail for the middle arrow, while the half dollar and dollar do not have this feature in the die design?

Wow, it's not just the feather detail, the entire end of the arrow is missing!

I wonder if @RogerB can solve this one?

Great post!

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins - Thanks, noticed this some time ago, but have not "discovered" an answer.

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:
    Who produced the plethora of O-mint counterfeit Morgan Dollars some time prior to about 1940 ?

Possibly the Russians, whom I suspect also made the 1923-D and 1930-D Dimes.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@Zoins said:

@edwardjulio said:
    Why did the Liberty Seated quarter reverse die show the feather detail for the middle arrow, while the half dollar and dollar do not have this feature in the die design?

Wow, it's not just the feather detail, the entire end of the arrow is missing!

I wonder if @RogerB can solve this one?

Great post!

The half dollar was done first, by Gobrecht in 1839, and the others by Hughes in 1840.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. Who has my old 1859 quarter today? ;)

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Where is the 1870-S quarter?

You beat me to it. I admit I don't even know if it was actually made.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@dcarr said:
    Who produced the plethora of O-mint counterfeit Morgan Dollars some time prior to about 1940 ?

Possibly the Russians, whom I suspect also made the 1923-D and 1930-D Dimes.

It is better known that they were printing the Series 1914 $100 FRNs in the late 1920s. In reading accounts of Soviet visitors, military and diplomatic to the USA during WWII there is mention of them garnering attention in stores, restaurants etc because the USSR embassy in Washington DC supplied them with large sized notes that had largely been out of circulation since the early 1930s.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    TestoonTestoon Posts: 152 ✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@MasonG said:

@Insider2 said:
    Because the Mint is the final authority!

Why is the mint the final authority on 1933 DE's but not 1959 wheat back cents?

Because they are. They make the coins. So if the mint says a coin is genuine it is.

Didn’t the Mint initially say the 1977/6 cent was genuine?

Bill
    witty quote goes here
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Testoon said:

@Insider2 said:

@MasonG said:

@Insider2 said:

Because they are. They make the coins. So if the mint says a coin is genuine it is.

Didn't the government destroy some 1969-S Lincoln doubled die cents?

• Options

@Testoon said:

@Insider2 said:

@MasonG said:

@Insider2 said:

Yes, and then they changed their mind after I wrote a story about the discovery based upon their confirmation of it.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who stole the AU58 70cc double eagle from the brinks truck and where did it go?

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1971-s Eisenhower Dollar type I reverse proof seems to be one of the great modern coin mysteries which involves what is the most under appreciated proof coin of the 20th century that most have never heard of. Seems 6 have now been graded by our host. Not sure how many have been graded by NGC. One appeared in an auction last month and it fetched 10,500 which seems to be a bargain when one reads about the 156,000 paid for the 1964 Kennedy SMS.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2019 7:59PM

Why no mint state examples of the 1861-S $20 Paquet Reverse were preserved or have ever been found?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/914924/remembering-the-pony-express-at-the-carson-city-mint-a-photo-essay

• Options

Who put the Tribbles in the Quadrotriticale?

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2019 7:53PM

Who stole and where is the 1928 Hawaiian Commem that was taken from the Bank of Hawaii in 1928 when the Bank President had put in on display offering to sell others to employees at wholesale. As detailed in Q. David Bowers' book on hoards, once stolen the rest of the coins were locked up by the angry bank official where they remained for over five decades leading to the creation of a mini hoard that was then auctioned off.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2019 9:30PM

@thebeav said:
    I'd like to know who stole my VF Columbian half when I was about 10 or 11 years old?

I DO know who stole my 3 cent piece when I was 9 years old. The jerk is currently doing 25 years to life in Ely, Nevada. They all start out small and work their way up to the big stuff........then........ it's downhill all the way.

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Very good thread, thanks everyone for your posts, very interesting

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

1965-67 Jeff. "Flap" nickels.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2019 6:59AM

1: What's in the corner stone of the SF Mint.

2: A number of years back someone (I think a coin publication) put a 1914-D cent into circulation in NYC. Does anyone know if it ever turned up?

Edit: I forgot to put the "D" on the 1914.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2019 11:19PM

@CaptHenway said:
    Who put the Tribbles in the Quadrotriticale?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ5_SyvxDXE
    Who put the Benzedrine in Mrs. Murphy's Ovaltine?

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2019 4:49AM

If you want unsolved mysteries, check into the world of exonumia. There are thousands of tokens waiting to be researched and identified. Endless hours of investigation await.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

And as far as US coins go, what is the real "story" behind the so called 1964 SMS mint sets?
    Will we ever know, or will these pieces be forever open to conjecture?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    1: What's in the corner stone of the SF Mint.

Also, what is in the cornerstone of the Washington Monument? There are believed to be coins included in the cache, but the location of the cornerstone isn't even known, as expansions have enclosed it on both sides and the original position was unrecorded.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KindaNewish said:
    I know that this will get buried, but I am truly curious why so few people collect twenty cent coins by die variety?
    Although I know that there are a few others beside the authors of the excellent doubledimes.com and me, but I almost always get the stink eye from dealers when I walk into a B&M or sit in front of a display at a show when I ask to see their 20c coins and tell them I'm looking for oddball die varieties.

There is a superb reference book available online for free, and the authors both are available and very helpful.

And so many of the other series, especially the seated and bust series have many passionate collectors. Nobody bats an eye at a collector seeking to fill a hole in their bust half die variety set or their seated dime die set.
    But twenty cents? so many are content with a single example to fill their Dansco 7070, when there is still so much to be discovered or uncovered. I am by no means an expert, but I often find scarcer die varieties (we're talking R5 or better) offered without attribution at no premium at all over the common die varieties.

I could see this as understandable if a series had no published detailed reference (I'm looking at you, 3c nickel), but the knowledge is out there for these coins, and sometimes I feel that I'm the only one looking.

Perhaps it's because the coins are expensive and STILL out of favor with most collectors. You should thank your lucky stars that a coin series you are collecting and have become very knowledgeable about is not popular. That will keep both the prices down for you and increase the potential for "new" discoveries.

The 20c Reference book is very well done. I have it yet I still have no desire to buy a 20c piece. :(

• Options
    shortnockshortnock Posts: 372 ✭✭✭

Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?

• Options
    apollo14apollo14 Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

Are we all really just dust in the wind ???

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    How did these coins end up where they did?

Roman coins have been found in Venezuela and Maine.

Roman coins were found in Texas at the bottom of an Indian mound at Round Rock. The mound is dated at approximately 800 AD.

In 1957 near Phenix City, Alabama, a small boy found a coin in a field from Syracuse on the island of Sicily, and dating from 490 B.C.

In the town of Heavener, Oklahoma, another out-of-place coin was found in 1976. Experts identified it as a bronze tetradrachm originally struck in Antioch, Syria in 63 A.D. and bearing the profile of the emperor Nero.

In 1882, a farmer in Cass County, Illinois picked up a bronze coin later identified as a coin of Antiochus IV, one of the kings of Syria who reigned from 175 B.C. to 164 B.C., and who is mentioned in the Bible.

Ancients in America? – Strange discoveries https://coolinterestingstuff.com/ancients-in-america-strange-discoveries

Dig a little bit in the black rapids area in Alaska and you will find Roman coins as well. Of course, I put them there geocaching...

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

S> @3stars said:

@1630Boston said:
    How did these coins end up where they did?

Roman coins have been found in Venezuela and Maine.

Roman coins were found in Texas at the bottom of an Indian mound at Round Rock. The mound is dated at approximately 800 AD.

In 1957 near Phenix City, Alabama, a small boy found a coin in a field from Syracuse on the island of Sicily, and dating from 490 B.C.

In the town of Heavener, Oklahoma, another out-of-place coin was found in 1976. Experts identified it as a bronze tetradrachm originally struck in Antioch, Syria in 63 A.D. and bearing the profile of the emperor Nero.

In 1882, a farmer in Cass County, Illinois picked up a bronze coin later identified as a coin of Antiochus IV, one of the kings of Syria who reigned from 175 B.C. to 164 B.C., and who is mentioned in the Bible.

Ancients in America? – Strange discoveries https://coolinterestingstuff.com/ancients-in-america-strange-discoveries

Dig a little bit in the black rapids area in Alaska and you will find Roman coins as well. Of course, I put them there geocaching...

I found s Roman coin made about 280AD in Mount Vernon, Iowa with my metal detector. I figure a child took a coin from his parents collection for show and tell and lost it. It was about six inches deep and quite the surprise

• Options

Dragon shapes in backgrounds of pennies,my previous post about it got deleted.... I found more information about it,kind of proving what I was thinking. found coins with the same weight,size and perfectly matching the images in the background of some of the pennies I have,or the pennies I have are miraculously struck in one of those coins 😂🤣.examples...
    _
    _

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Biggest mystery that I know of:

Why do all coins that I submit come back graded lower then I grade them?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Infamustrueerrors said:
    Dragon shapes in backgrounds of pennies,my previous post about it got deleted.... I found more information about it,kind of proving what I was thinking. found coins with the same weight,size and perfectly matching the images in the background of some of the pennies I have,or the pennies I have are miraculously struck in one of those coins 😂🤣.examples...!

Your coin was found to have Bigfoot on it, not Chinese writing. :D

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@Infamustrueerrors said:
    Dragon shapes in backgrounds of pennies,my previous post about it got deleted.... I found more information about it,kind of proving what I was thinking. found coins with the same weight,size and perfectly matching the images in the background of some of the pennies I have,or the pennies I have are miraculously struck in one of those coins 😂🤣.examples...!

Your coin was found to have Bigfoot on it, not Chinese writing. :D

That was just one of them 😂😂😂

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is your alt @92Rollin?

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why are there 3 M's in @Lakesammman ????

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2019 8:48AM

Have a question of a different kind:
    Why are most coins in the world made as Round ( circular) coins?
    Why not in other forms, like square, which would probably overall be cheaper to make and with less original metal waste?

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭✭

@au58 said:
    How much longer will it be before a Buffalo Nickel won't have to show any evidence of the buffalo's horn yet will still make the F12 grade?

I think this is a good observation -- in many TPG holders I've seen VF's with less horn detail than some VGs in the same holders, and vice-versa... notwithstanding the variances that occur with some of the ones that nearly always come "weak." :)

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why are Canadian large decimal cents from 1858 to 1920 exactly ONE inch in Diameter or 25.4 mm?
    Are there other exactly 1 Inch coins like that? is there a specific reason attributed to that?

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Is your alt @92Rollin?

No,but probably he/she might have some coins similar to the ones I posted based on the coins he/she posted before

• Options

@YQQ said:
    Have a question of a different kind:
    Why are most coins in the world made as Round ( circular) coins?
    Why not in other forms, like square, which would probably overall be cheaper to make and with less original metal waste?

Maybe because that way it won't damage your pockets and rip your pants or stab your skin with pointy edges...😉

• Options
    lonn47lonn47 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

money is always the key, am glad i dont have any,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file