Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are there any numismatic mysteries that have yet to be solved?

abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the only one I am aware of:

Details: Over the past fifteen years in New York City, a highly organized coin scam has taken place, with thousands of citizens falling prey to it. A man named Jerry Diner was one of the victims. While talking on a pay-phone in midtown, he was approached by a man calling himself "Joe" who appeared to be drunk. He claimed that he had found a bank envelope on the ground with coins inside of it. He asked Jerry to call the doctor whose name was on the envelope to tell him that they had found his coins.
Jerry called "Dr. Stone" and told him that he and Joe had found his coins. He told Jerry to give Joe $100 because he was offering a $1000 reward for the return of his coins. Joe claimed that he could not take the coins to Dr. Stone himself. Jerry decided that he would give Joe $160 for the coins so that he could take the coins back to Dr. Stone. The two went to an ATM and Jerry gave Joe $160 in cash. After getting the money, Joe disappeared into the crowd.
Jerry then took a cab to Dr. Stone's office. While in the cab, he noticed that the coins were worth about $2000. He thought that it was strange that the reward was about half as much as the price of the coins. However, he figured that the coins also had a sentimental value to Dr. Stone. When he arrived at the address of the office, he realized that it was actually an apartment building on the Upper East Side. He spoke to the doorman, who confirmed that there was no Dr. Stone living there.
Jerry then realized that he had been scammed. It was later discovered that "Dr. Stone's" phone number was actually for a pay-phone. The coin scam is not limited to New York; there have also been similar scams reported in Florida, Boston, and Baltimore. The scammers usually target people who are affluent or can easily get money from an ATM. The coins are usually not worth more than a few dollars.
Suspects: None known
Extra Notes: This segment first ran on Unsolved Mysteries in the October 11, 1989 episode.
Results: Unsolved
Links: No known links.

Comments

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes!

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    NSPNSP Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bkzoopapa said:
    What do the “E and L” counter stamps on early bust quarters really stand for and who made them?

That’s immediately what I thought of when I first saw this thread. There have been numerous theories put forward, but all of them seem to have holes.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    Why do I get more enjoyment looking at coins that I collected from pocket change as a grade schooler than I do from looking at coins that I paid thousands of dollars for later in life?

I would guess that you have already answered your own question.
    🙂

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting topic !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2019 3:50AM

When will I add my first $10 Indian to my collection?

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

How did these coins end up where they did?

Roman coins have been found in Venezuela and Maine.

Roman coins were found in Texas at the bottom of an Indian mound at Round Rock. The mound is dated at approximately 800 AD.

In 1957 near Phenix City, Alabama, a small boy found a coin in a field from Syracuse on the island of Sicily, and dating from 490 B.C.

In the town of Heavener, Oklahoma, another out-of-place coin was found in 1976. Experts identified it as a bronze tetradrachm originally struck in Antioch, Syria in 63 A.D. and bearing the profile of the emperor Nero.

In 1882, a farmer in Cass County, Illinois picked up a bronze coin later identified as a coin of Antiochus IV, one of the kings of Syria who reigned from 175 B.C. to 164 B.C., and who is mentioned in the Bible.

Ancients in America? – Strange discoveries https://coolinterestingstuff.com/ancients-in-america-strange-discoveries

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where is the 1870-S quarter?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where is the second 1849 Double Eagle?

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why were the 10 1933 $20 gold pieces given to the Mint for authentication and not PCGS

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

For all 1792 and 1793 US Mint issues of patterns and coins, which engraver created the specific dies for any of the patterns/coins has not been proven.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pocketpiececommems said:
    Why were the 10 1933 $20 gold pieces given to the Mint for authentication and not PCGS

My guess is that the Langbord family already had a very good idea that the coins were authentic. But that they were looking to establish legal title to them.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 2004-D Wisconsin Statehood Quarters with high and low leaf are a guarded mystery . Nobody in the shop knows anything, and internal investigations turned up theories, not fact. Ah, but the coins are authentic. Miracle Gro ?

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why does it seem that Gold goes down the week of a Long Beach Show?

We'll find out next week if the 'trend' continues !

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "Dr. Stone" coin scam appears to be a version of the "Pigeon Drop" scam which involves a wallet with paper money in it.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

This is an old scam, usually involving an envelope of cash.. I forget the name of it.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

Roman coins were found in Texas at the bottom of an Indian mound at Round Rock. The mound is dated at approximately 800 AD.

In 1957 near Phenix City, Alabama, a small boy found a coin in a field from Syracuse on the island of Sicily, and dating from 490 B.C.

In the town of Heavener, Oklahoma, another out-of-place coin was found in 1976. Experts identified it as a bronze tetradrachm originally struck in Antioch, Syria in 63 A.D. and bearing the profile of the emperor Nero.

In 1882, a farmer in Cass County, Illinois picked up a bronze coin later identified as a coin of Antiochus IV, one of the kings of Syria who reigned from 175 B.C. to 164 B.C., and who is mentioned in the Bible.

Ancients in America? – Strange discoveries https://coolinterestingstuff.com/ancients-in-america-strange-discoveries

Easy, aliens.> @dcarr said:

Who produced the plethora of O-mint counterfeit Morgan Dollars some time prior to about 1940 ?

According to the newspapers of the time they were even out West. Mexico or China would be my guess. Since they were around before WWI, I don't think it had to do with disrupting our economy during a war.

• Options

Because the Mint is the final authority! The only mistake was sending more than one. :(

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2019 6:33PM
    • How did the 1933 Double Eagles leave the mint?
    • Where are the original 2 gold Libertas Americana medals?
    • What happened to the other 1974-D aluminum cents?
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty sure there are several great rarities taken in the DuPont robbery which have yet to resurface.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

1854-S Half Eagle!

@seanq said:
    Pretty sure there are several great rarities taken in the DuPont robbery which have yet to resurface.

Sean Reynolds

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many 1917 London Mint gold Sovereigns are held by the U.S. Government?

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not nearly as exciting as most already posted, but I've always wondered why the '28S walker is so much scarcer in XF/AU/MS than the '29D or S walkers.
    Similar mintages, most produced prior to the late Oct Stock Market Crash of '29, and prior to the Great Depression.

My pet theory is that the '28S was released into circulation at the time of issue and put to work in commerce, where the others were held back by banks or the Fed Reserve.....were they anticipating runs on banks, bank failures, and the ensuing Depression?
    Since no halves were produced again until 1933, and only at San Francisco, the 28S and their predecessors were kept pretty busy.
    Then if the 29D and S were later released during 'better times', with more collectors able to save half dollars, and the low mintages possibly appealing to speculators, we now have a lot of these around in nicer condition than others minted in the 1920's.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    1854-S Half Eagle!

Speaking of Half Eagles... where did all of the 1822 Half Eagles go? Only 3 survived out of a mintage of more than 17,000...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:

@amwldcoin said:
    1854-S Half Eagle!

Speaking of Half Eagles... where did all of the 1822 Half Eagles go? Only 3 survived out of a mintage of more than 17,000...

I’ve always wondered that. Seems possible that they were acquired in bulk by only a few individuals or institutions and immediately melted. If a large number of different individuals and institutions acquired a portion you would expect a few more survivors.

• Options

@Wahoo554 said:

I’ve always wondered that. Seems possible that they were acquired in bulk by only a few individuals or institutions and immediately melted. If a large number of different individuals and institutions acquired a portion you would expect a few more survivors.

I've thought about that angle too... most of the 1820's Half Eagles had significant mintages, yet only a handful survive today... wouldn't THAT be a hoard to find! ;-)

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Because the Mint is the final authority!

Why is the mint the final authority on 1933 DE's but not 1959 wheat back cents?

• Options
    edited August 30, 2019 1:35PM

@MasonG said:

@Insider2 said:
    Because the Mint is the final authority!

Why is the mint the final authority on 1933 DE's but not 1959 wheat back cents?

Because they are. They make the coins. So if the mint says a coin is genuine it is.

The only "mule" 1959 cent that I can be sure was seen at the mint was mistakenly declared genuine by two of us at ANACS in DC due entirely to inattention. We (me also) didn't even realize it was anything other than a common, normal cent. I even questioned what kind of fool would send this POS in and decided it was just a coin dealer being funny! It was weeks later that a reporter called asking if we had seen many more of these 1959 cents with a wheat reverse.

Gulp!

LOL. PANIC! We got the coin back to reexamine w/o the certificate of authenticity. When we took it to the mint, all of us concluded the coin was a fake. The mint made an optical-comparison with a genuine cent and proved design of the die used to make the mule did not match a genuine die.

Decades later I learned there was a "mule" floating around. Apparently no TPGS would authenticate it. A potential purchaser heard about me and sent me images and paperwork. One was a letter of authenticity from the Mint. I have it all in my files someplace. I needed to see the coin but the seller would not turn it over for exam.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

Because the Mint is the final authority! The only mistake was sending more than one. :(

Well at least they only sent 10...
    And are keeping the rest hidden?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I do still have the coin, I'd like to know what happened to the ANACS photo cert I had for the first variety I ever found- a 1972 DDO-003 in circulation in the 4th grade.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still, if there are some 1822 $5, why only 3?
    Same with R7+ die pair varieties..
    Why only 1-6 remain?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ricko and I think one of the greatest mysteries in numismatics is why some people will pay a ridiculous premium for the tarnish on a coin. ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@Baley said:
    Still, if there are some 1822 $5, why only 3?
    Same with R7+ die pair varieties..
    Why only 1-6 remain?

Exactly.

It's not like other 1820-30's era Capped Bust $5 pieces are ripping up the "relative survivability" charts... there are what 15-20 or so known pieces for most dates. Some approach 100 known pieces. Yet mintages were in the 10's of thousands. I suspect many were melted at some point...

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2019 5:09PM

@dcarr said:
    Who produced the plethora of O-mint counterfeit Morgan Dollars some time prior to about 1940 ?

In Robert Gurney's 2014 book, he interviewed a guy who was part of a counterfeiting operation in Massachusetts in the 1920s, and implied the micro o dollars were made at that time. I've posted this to the forum before.

Here's a picture of the first counterfeit Portrait counterfeit that I got from a self-confessed counterfeiter in 1960-2 who said he made it in Massachusetts the 1920s. The coin has been proven to have too little gold as a contaminant (to have been made in 1805) by two different XRF laboratories and this coin is the basis for my belief that full weight silver counterfeits were produced for the China trade as late as 1930.

A recent test run at RTI International has returned a preliminary signature match with an example of the 1896-O micro O Morgan dollar. I am resubmitting both coins to RTI next week for XRF re-testing with a brand new state of the art XRF testing machine which will do far finer analysis of the trace contamination (down to 1 ppm for 72 elements) in the hopes of proving that the source of both coins is identical.

https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v17n37a08.html

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2019 5:10PM

@1630Boston said:

Most of these are easy.
    They were in the possession of US coin collectors who misplaced them.

The 800 AD one is harder, because ships did not routinely come to America from Europe at that time.
    Theory: shipwreck in the Atlantic in the 200-800 AD period; coins happened to be in a wooden box that floated to America!

It would be more fun if there were examples of modern coins that were found by folks in ancient Rome. :)
    Or if Trump showed up on an ancient Roman coin? :)

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nap asks: What's a pay phone?
    A long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know that this will get buried, but I am truly curious why so few people collect twenty cent coins by die variety?
    Although I know that there are a few others beside the authors of the excellent doubledimes.com and me, but I almost always get the stink eye from dealers when I walk into a B&M or sit in front of a display at a show when I ask to see their 20c coins and tell them I'm looking for oddball die varieties.

There is a superb reference book available online for free, and the authors both are available and very helpful.

And so many of the other series, especially the seated and bust series have many passionate collectors. Nobody bats an eye at a collector seeking to fill a hole in their bust half die variety set or their seated dime die set.
    But twenty cents? so many are content with a single example to fill their Dansco 7070, when there is still so much to be discovered or uncovered. I am by no means an expert, but I often find scarcer die varieties (we're talking R5 or better) offered without attribution at no premium at all over the common die varieties.

I could see this as understandable if a series had no published detailed reference (I'm looking at you, 3c nickel), but the knowledge is out there for these coins, and sometimes I feel that I'm the only one looking.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

No one has mentioned the Randall Hoard. AFIK, there is no precise evidence to its origin.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file