Home Precious Metals

Midwest Refineries: two strikes and they're out... - Better alternatives available?

PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭

I've had two transactions with Midwest Refineries, and both yielded me at least 10% less than what was reasonably (and mathematically) expected. Are there any other firms for the disposal of scrap sterling silver that you find to be honest and reputable? Thank you.

Comments

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

70 - 75% is the going rate for small amounts of sterling scrap ... let us know if you find a better deal.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you have their estimate ahead of time?? Usually that is provided... and one can expect variances in the quality of the scrap.... Just making some points... Midwest has had good reports in the past. Cheers, RickO

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

What did the lot consist of? Jewelry? If so its never going to be an actual 925 lot, some have come out as low as .72 with all the mixed junk that gets sent in with good sterling. MOST are right around 88-91% for clean lots. You can give me a try for your scrap melting services if you want. PM me some details of what you've been sending, I might be able to give some insight on silver scrapping.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jinx86 knows how to melt metals

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

Me too. But how about purifying it ? That where chemistry comes in.
    I still use Elemetal (formerly NTR) , as my refiner, but few pay more than 75% , so don't expect much for silver.

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@1630Boston said:

Me too. But how about purifying it ? That where chemistry comes in.
    I still use Elemetal (formerly NTR) , as my refiner, but few pay more than 75% , so don't expect much for silver.

PM me for quotes.

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guy pays me 78% on jewelry and 82% on flatware/coin medal

that's weight x price x percentage above

Not weight x .925 x percentage

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Legally sterling can be as low as 80% if no Royal approval stamp.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com