Home U.S. Coin Forum

Want fun? Have your bank close.

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man oh man. What a pain.
To get same size SDB I have to go to another town but the other town is quicker to get to than the ...supposedly... nearer town but it's the same bank as the one I'm at so the one I'm at will pay my first year at the more inconvenient bank however the road to the new one is full of traffic and only 2 lanes at 80 MPH and really fun but at least the new town has a very recommended police department that supposedly has a response time faster than CAC can snub a coin so all in all I guess it's okay since I have no choice and....oh whew! :#

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Breathe

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

puff puff ....plop

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2019 2:44PM

Well, my bank of 40 years is still open, BUT...

the last time I tried to Deposit Cash, I was told that I could not unless I showed my ID. I completely freaked out and asked for the management. My ID was in my truck in the banks parking lot but I refused to get it on principle :o

I did get to deposit the cash after a a different teller ID'd me

My OTHER stupid bank won't "break" a hundred unless you deposit it and WITHDRAW five twenties.
    Needless to say I seldom go to that one. :s

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had my SDB box bank close about 6 or 7 years ago. It was no fun carting the contents around, but the result was a box closer to home and a promise to comp year one. They've never charged me yet.......

• djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had many banks close. It is actually an opportunity, you can pick a new bank with better services rates and some even pay you to switch to them.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's something I never thought about! While my bank has been bought out a couple of times I've been doing business with them for 37 years now(and some of the tellers have been there almost that long). They are about to merge with another bank now. Hope all stays the same!

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    My OTHER stupid bank won't "break" a hundred unless you deposit it and WITHDRAW five twenties.

And then they won't break a twenty unless you deposit that and withdraw four fives.

Seriously though, that IS ridiculous about breaking a hundred.

• MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

@thebeav said:
    I had my SDB box bank close about 6 or 7 years ago. It was no fun carting the contents around, but the result was a box closer to home and a promise to comp year one. They've never charged me yet.......

And they still let you into the box? I'd be concerned one day you would show up to an empty box because the rent was in arrears!

• carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

Credit Union for me. They are always really helpful, have a nice safe deposit vault. Free coin counting machine and coffee. And as my wife points out, they let you use their restroom if you need to.

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MattTheRiley said:

@thebeav said:

And they still let you into the box? I'd be concerned one day you would show up to an empty box because the rent was in arrears!

Yes, they let me in. I was there a couple weeks ago.
    I think the real reason is probably that I am a long term depositor and a good customer.

Around these here parts, pardner, boxes bigger than 2" x 5" are rarer than Kobe beef in a Big Mac.

Us Californy fokes has big stuff. ;)

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same thing happened to me, luckily the new bank in different town is close to work :)
    Seems like SDB's are going the way of the buggy whip.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just hire Ricko, He will set you up ;)

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bank for the SDB. Old school floor to ceiling safe door.
    Credit union for everything else including friendliness, professionalism, a more casual atmosphere, better fees, free water and cookies and hella less rules. And more community involvement.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Serenity now. Serenity now.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

@MilesWaits said:
    Credit union for everything else including friendliness, professionalism, a more casual atmosphere, better fees, free water and cookies and hella less rules. And more community involvement.

Free coffee at mine :D

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

@MilesWaits said:

Does free popcorn and peppermint candies count?

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Serenity now. Serenity now.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't bank, I credit union. Three different ones with multiple branches. Tellers call me when old money comes across the counter, free coin counting machines, tea, coffee etc. Discounts on tickets to amusement parks, oh and get free internet because I am a credit union member.

Banks are for Wall St, credit unions are for Main St.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

@BJandTundra said:

@1630Boston said:

@MilesWaits said:

Does free popcorn and peppermint candies count?

Depends on what interest rate they are paying B)
    Boston MDCXXX

@SaorAlba said:
    I don't bank, I credit union. Three different ones with multiple branches. Tellers call me when old money comes across the counter, free coin counting machines, tea, coffee etc. Discounts on tickets to amusement parks, oh and get free internet because I am a credit union member.

I agree on the free counting machine...............and coffee :D
    Boston MDCXXX

PS and WS

@SaorAlba said:

Smart, There are also differences in regulations regarding gov't intrusion into your information.
    I also believe (not sure) that FSLIC is in better shape than FDIC.

I use both. Bank for box CU for deposits. But not for breaking a hundred. :D

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

The ATM will do that without complaining.

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I can say to Bsdboxes: read the small print and make sure you understand it!!!!
    especially the Banks liability part!!!

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

@YQQ said:
    All I can say to Bsdboxes: read the small print and make sure you understand it!!!!
    especially the Banks liability part!!!

You mean they WON'T pay for anything missing?
    :D

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

read your contract and understand it.....
    I am not meaning or suggesting anything. your bank might be different.... however, I do not believe that.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    That's something I never thought about! While my bank has been bought out a couple of times I've been doing business with them for 37 years now(and some of the tellers have been there almost that long). They are about to merge with another bank now. Hope all stays the same!

lol, my bank has been bought out four times.

I'm still using checks from my bank two buyouts ago, who gave me a box of free checks when they bought out the previous bank.

I even still have an interest bearing checking account, because I've been grandfathered in so many times. It pays squat in interest, but I still find it amusing...

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    puff puff ....plop

It occurs to me that this may have been the last actions of Elvis... :D

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like a CU for convenience and speed... Interest bearing checking and super nice people with great service....Banks seem to be less friendly.... Could be my imagination, but it is my experience in several areas of the country. I use both.. but prefer the CU. Cheers, RickO

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    Seems like SDB's are going the way of the buggy whip.

Costly for the bank to provide. Done properly it's a second built-in (large) vault, special training for staff, floor space, etc. Lots of banks waive or reduce fees for good customers, so it's partly a loss leader - but many banks are at war with themselves over whether they even want to be in "retail" (branch) banking... don't you really want an App and a debit card, sir?

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

the credit union I used to go to always asked for an id. I told them " 26 years coming in here you don't know me " they said its for your own protection. many left including myself over that and the customer service

@johnny9434 said:
    the credit union I used to go to always asked for an id. I told them " 26 years coming in here you don't know me " they said its for your own protection. many left including myself over that and the customer service

The one who asked you that probably wasn't even 26 years old.
    "Staff meetings" will sink us all. :#

That plus it may be the ONLY "power" a teller ever has. :/

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

@johnny9434 said:

The one who asked you that probably wasn't even 26 years old.
    "Staff meetings" will sink us all. :#

That plus it may be the ONLY "power" a teller ever has. :/

Go figure. The hard part ut costed them a lot

• 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

_I'm still using checks from my bank two buyouts ago, who gave me a box of free checks when they bought out the previous bank.

I even still have an interest bearing checking account, because I've been grandfathered in so many times. It pays squat in interest, but I still find it amusing..._

+1.

Fortunately, the manager and staff at my local branch have remained the same so no problems or hassles that some of the other folks in this thread have had.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file