Home Precious Metals

Where do you buy your precious metals?

Is there a to-go site where you purchase silver and gold from or do you get it there on forum?

Never stop stacking

Comments

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

BST, Provident, APMEX, Bullion Direct, no more eBay, MCM - non alphabetical.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:

@MilesWaits said:

Why no more eBay? Sales tax?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• cmanbbcmanbb Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personal contacts, FB, IG, PM Boards, and occasionally Ebay

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mint (in past years), BST, ebay, Apmex....private deals - When I was working, often people would bring in some PM's for fast cash.....Cheers, RickO

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mostly local coin shops, occasionally ebay.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2019 9:22AM

National bullion dealers mentioned by MW, which also includes JM * SDbullion. Whover has the lowest cost over spot & that includes the big boys on ebay, especially when they have a sale or are listed in the wrong category during an ebay bucks promo. However, I try to avoid those that charge state sales taxes. There are still a few left that don't..

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

some fleabay, coin shows and a company out in california

• taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

eBay. Idaho does not tax bullion, so when I can buy a AGE for $20 over using my credit card, I am at spot or slightly under. I will add that I stay with known sellers.

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay deals on occasion. Mostly from BST, Reddit and from my employer...

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay bonus bucks baby!

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

I think we may look back at the 2H 2018, as the best Ebay bucks era ever.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Locally from people who call me !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Thanks for your reply! I'm suspicious about ebay, have heard many incidents that people bought fake bullion.

Never stop stacking
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your reply! I'm suspicious about ebay, have heard many incidents that people bought fake bullion.

That's a valid observation. The advantage in purchasing through a high profile bullion dealer is that they generally want to stay in business. As this market rises, you will see all kinds of new operations popping up. Be wary.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
    edited August 13, 2019 6:56AM

@Goldders said:
    Thanks for your reply! I'm suspicious about ebay, have heard many incidents that people bought fake bullion.

That's why you should concentrate of the big boys with your purchases or sellers that you've dealt before & trust. All the big boys have ebay stores.

When buying PM's...caveat emptor...& if the price is to good to be true....walk away....most likely it is.

• CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

JMB and my LCS.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2019 7:26AM

@Goldders said:

My advice: No matter what, develop a good relationship with an LCS that has the proper testing equipment. Don't be a haggler and buy from them enough to develop a repoire even if they aren't the absolute cheapest. That way you can always go in there and have them test anything for your own peace of mind.

Edited for punctuation

• MeshMesh Posts: 86 ✭✭✭

wherever I can find it cheap

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

CMG mint emails me with upcoming bars.
    If I like them I usually just email back and say take my money :)

His new one coming up I like.

• @rte592 said:

wow looks awesome!

Never stop stacking
  • maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldders said:

IMO as you should be but most of the big boys have ebay stores or post regular specials that are some times hard to beat.Last cycle I scored an Oz incuse Gold ML. for -$120 with Ebay bucks.
    Good hunting.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldders said:

@rte592 said:

wow looks awesome!
    Never stop stacking

where do you get it from?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • @MsMorrisine said:

@Goldders said:

@rte592 said:

wow looks awesome!
    Never stop stacking

where do you get it from?

CMG mint rte592 said

Never stop stacking
  • ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember, even with a no seller's fee promo on ebay you have to give 3% to paypal.

Collector, occasional seller

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

CME.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

@ChrisH821 said:
    Remember, even with a no seller's fee promo on ebay you have to give 3% to paypal.

but you get back 2% if you use a rebate cc + you earn ebay bucks if listed in the non bullion category.

Ebay bonus bucks baby!> @ChrisH821 said:

the seller gives paypal 3%. If he's smart he gets it from you.

@derryb said:

Yeah, for some reason I thought I saw a post about selling when there is a no fee special, I might be losing my mind or mixed up threads in my distraction.

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

the cheapest selling promo I ever got was a 10 flat rate for any value. they usually limit this to 5 sales

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been pleasantly surprised by a local jewelry store with a buying gold and silver sign out front. Both the products and the prices. He had a few dollars worth of junk silver yesterday I bought for 10x face. Only takes a minute to look.

• meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Back around 2005 I used to purchase junk silver from grocery store cashiers. Those were the days, and they were always happy to sell.

• oldstandardoldstandard Posts: 387 ✭✭✭
    edited August 14, 2019 7:26PM

Never on a computer or with a card, only in hand purchases with cash. If you can and they are fair or with in reason support the local shops the big guys have enough.

• Local coin stores can be good, but quite a few operate more like pawn shop philosophies. I think this this collectors forum is a good place to buy and sell and certainly enables you to buy at lower prices than places like APMEX, Liberty, etc. and also on the flip side, enables you to sell at prices well above spot. Metals.com is also a good option. For Exotic/alternative super rare metals, I like Rare World Metals Mint who recently started selling more traditional stuff and sometimes at really good prices on these items - www.rwmmint.com

• @christiandg40 said:
    Local coin stores can be good, but quite a few operate more like pawn shop philosophies. I think this this collectors forum is a good place to buy and sell and certainly enables you to buy at lower prices than places like APMEX, Liberty, etc. and also on the flip side, enables you to sell at prices well above spot. Metals.com is also a good option. For Exotic/alternative super rare metals, I like Rare World Metals Mint who recently started selling more traditional stuff and sometimes at really good prices on these items - www.rwmmint.com

thanks for the resources, I'll check them out!

Never stop stacking
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldders said:

Why would you buy from anyone other than a big bullion seller on eBay? Chances are that if it's prior year stuff they likely bought it from folks like you and authenticated it so that they weren't getting screwed.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:

@derryb said:

Yeah, for some reason I thought I saw a post about selling when there is a no fee special, I might be losing my mind or mixed up threads in my distraction.

Maybe a no eBay fee special. Why would PP have any interest in giving the APMEXes et al a break on fees?

@BAJJERFAN said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@derryb said:

Maybe a no eBay fee special. Why would PP have any interest in giving the APMEXes et al a break on fees?

I get an occasional "max ebay final valuation fee of $20 on up to five items sold," but never on by ebay store account. And it usually excludes coins but not collectibles.

@derryb said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@derryb said:

I get an occasional "max ebay final valuation fee of $20 on up to five items sold," but never on by ebay store account. And it usually excludes coins but not collectibles.

It's been a long time since I got one.

• MrMonkeySwag96MrMonkeySwag96 Posts: 118 ✭✭✭

APMEX and my local coin shop

• ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2019 8:37PM

@Goldders said:

Not the fake bullion you should worry about, but the prices. Dealers have overhead, but the lower bullion spreads are something they can offer they Ebay sellers cannot.

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

APMEX and JM Bullion

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get mine at a coin shop.

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

Here once in a while, Ebay, mostly at local auctions.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Local and semi local shops, Craigslist, local auctions Da Bay: (Apmex, MCM, Bullion Exchange, TexasGSE,, JM Bullion, hundreds of individual sellers). A little here, there, everywhere

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldders said:
    Is there a to-go site where you purchase silver and gold from or do you get it there on forum?

MCM and never a problem. Some others show best pictures and not worse case. That is backwards. You should always get as seen or better. Just my 2 cents.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

@Kkathyl said:

@Goldders said:

MCM and never a problem. Some others show best pictures and not worse case. That is backwards. You should always get as seen or better. Just my 2 cents.

When I sell items online I always describe the item worse than it really is.