Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PWCC at The National

2»

Comments

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2019 1:31PM

Sounds like there is an opportunity for someone to take a chunk of PWCCs business. There are a few people that have built trust in the hobby that could step in and offer an alternative.

If there is a void someone will fill it - the PWCC model works (high quality cards, high quality scans in organized periodic auctions with cards starting at 99 cents) and there was plenty of money to be made without the shenanigans. Maybe not enough to build a vault and all the other silliness - but enough for someone to make a very successful honest living on card consignments.

• Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭

Good question. Most items under $1000 I do sell myself. Anything over $1000 I Iike using a service like PWCC to get better exposure and to avoid dealing with knuckleheads or scams on ebay. I listed high end items on ebay or on various BST board and they never move. I send them to PWCC and they sold for more than I was asking (including the fees). I can't explain it, I have 5000 feedback with 0 negs.

I understand. It is difficult to feel 100% comfortable right now with any auction house.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:
    Sounds like there is an opportunity for someone to take a chunk of PWCCs business. There are a few people that have built trust in the hobby that could step in and offer an alternative.

If there is a void someone will fill it - the PWCC model works (high quality cards, high quality scans in organized periodic auctions with cards starting at 99 cents) and there was plenty of money to be made without the shenanigans. Maybe not enough to build a vault and all the other silliness - but enough for someone to make a very successful honest living on card consignments.

I don't know. I think factoring in the whole shilling thing, which, thankfully, looks like it's going to be dug into by the FBI (jackpot!) the amount of fraud involved in the PWCC empire was too big to replicate honestly.

On the bright side, we have this screen grab to add to the hobby annals. This seems like it will be a source of much use for many, many years to come.

Arthur

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gemyanks10 said:
    Probstein is fine to buy from, I’ve never had an issue there. I consigned a partial PSA 10 set to him about 6 months ago and he “lost” my box with the cards in it that I sent. It took him about 4 months to find it before the cards were listed. In that 4 months, he did return emails and the communication was ok saying that he was actively looking for the cards. They did end up turning up and the auctions ran, but won’t be consigning again with him. He’s unorganized in that regard. Probably a little off topic, but I don’t feel Probstein is a safe alternative to consign to based on the issues with PWCC. Just one collectors opinion.

Wow! Glad the items were found.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Heh. You said annals.

Sorry, my inner 15 year old self couldn't resist.

I will now return to my 52 year old self. Carry on.

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2019 2:25PM

@JoeBanzai said:

@Gemyanks10 said:
    Probstein is fine to buy from, I’ve never had an issue there. I consigned a partial PSA 10 set to him about 6 months ago and he “lost” my box with the cards in it that I sent. It took him about 4 months to find it before the cards were listed. In that 4 months, he did return emails and the communication was ok saying that he was actively looking for the cards. They did end up turning up and the auctions ran, but won’t be consigning again with him. He’s unorganized in that regard. Probably a little off topic, but I don’t feel Probstein is a safe alternative to consign to based on the issues with PWCC. Just one collectors opinion.

Wow! Glad the items were found.

Me too Joe! If they weren’t, what repercussions would one have? I know it happened to you...I was definitely getting nervous as at the time, I was hoping to do ok on the auctions to use the money for a couple things. Now, in no way shape or form were these cards super high end by any means, but they were still pretty good and the auction results were about what I expected. Luckily it all worked out but took awhile...

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

@robert67 said:
    Heh. You said annals.

Sorry, my inner 15 year old self couldn't resist.

I will now return to my 52 year old self. Carry on.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

lollllllllllll

PackManInNC
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:

@brad31 said:

I don't know. I think factoring in the whole shilling thing, which, thankfully, looks like it's going to be dug into by the FBI (jackpot!) the amount of fraud involved in the PWCC empire was too big to replicate honestly.

On the bright side, we have this screen grab to add to the hobby annals. This seems like it will be a source of much use for many, many years to come.

Arthur

I might have missed it, but did we all come to the conclusion that Brent was IN on the "Buying Group Class of 2016"?

It's obvious now, right?

Mike
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

@ndleo said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

@brad31 said:

Arthur

I might have missed it, but did we all come to the conclusion that Brent was IN on the "Buying Group Class of 2016"?

It's obvious now, right?

There really isn’t very much doubt left about it.

Besides the texts between him and one of the members of the “buying group” that were posted on Net54 there are emails and documented firsthand conversations with members of the buying group corroborating it.

Dave
  • Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

And then he built an index based on the faux prices.

Shouldn’t be a big surprise that a segment of the hobby that has 15-30 buyers can be so easily manipulated. So much of high end growth has been a smokeshow.

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

All I know is that I would not want have my cards in his possession when the Feds decide to close him down and possibly toss him in jail. You may never see your cards ever again.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stan Pounder and @doubledragon - we don't need jokes like that around here.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:
    @Stan Pounder and @doubledragon - we don't need jokes like that around here.

Ok Todd, no problem.

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:

@brad31 said:

Arthur

Easily the best takeaway from the National

• Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

Link to this buying group of 2016 thingy?

• Options

See the guy hiding in the background?

It is Brent from PWCC.

• Options
    edited August 7, 2019 6:11AM

@linuxabuser said:

@robert67 said:
    See the guy hiding in the background?

It is Brent from PWCC.

So? He's in front of the PWCC booth. Like others, I haven't kept up on the drama.

A collector who has a Youtube channel approached asking questions. Brent removed himself and his wife handled the situation.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone catch this story? FBI is looking into shill bidding too. Sounds like they are also consulting with the Blowout Card forum members.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/1929959001

• Options
    wadevlwadevl Posts: 224 ✭✭✭

@Batpig said:
    Does the FBI count?

WAHAHAHAHAHA!

Lucky
    BIGLEAGUE SportsCards
    "Respect The Hobby"
    www.bigleaguesc.com
    https://www.ebay.com/str/bigleagueseller
  • Options
    wadevlwadevl Posts: 224 ✭✭✭

Did anyone see this Dude,,,

Lucky
    BIGLEAGUE SportsCards
    "Respect The Hobby"
    www.bigleaguesc.com
    https://www.ebay.com/str/bigleagueseller
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

He probably is a shill bidder

• Options

Not funny.

A guy could get kicked in the seeds for wearing this?!?!?!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    60sfan60sfan Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

@brad31 said:

the PWCC model works (high quality cards, high quality scans in organized periodic auctions with cards starting at 99 cents) and there was plenty of money to be made without the shenanigans. Maybe not enough to build a vault and all the other silliness - but enough for someone to make a very successful honest living on card consignments.

PWCC had a really good business model - they did a lot of things right .......... they could have made good money without getting involved with Moser, etc.

PWCC-HE was fine …..... now they have too many designations.

I was the underbidder on a lot of cards that I never saw on PWCC or anywhere else after that PWCC auction ---- if they were shilled the schiller decided to keep them.

Based on my experience and what I've read here, Greg Morris is the guy who could end up with a lot of PWCC's clients.

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

I hope so, I've had nothing but good experiences with Greg Morris.

• Options
    60sfan60sfan Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

@wadevl said:

Was this T-Shirt a 1of 1 ?

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

No, but it was serial numbered. :)

• Options

@NGS428 said:

@60sfan said:

@wadevl said:

It was originally long sleeve.

You can bid on them in the next auction! ;-)

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2019 3:51PM

@NGS428 said:

@60sfan said:

@wadevl said:

And the lettering was orange. He paid 2x the amount than the previous owner.

It can only be washed with "Gone With the Stains" laundry detergent.

• Options

@NGS428 said:

@60sfan said:

@wadevl said:

This is the best post ever posted in the history of posting posts.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElMagoStrikeZone said:

@NGS428 said:

@60sfan said:

@wadevl said:

Your post isn't too bad either. It's like trying to say "Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers".

• Options
    BobHBobH Posts: 206 ✭✭

@Gemyanks10 said:

I've had good success with Rick. Sold over 100k with him over the last 2 years. Liquidated almost my entire collection. Good communication by email. Checks always came within a couple weeks after the end of the auction. He puts high end cards up right away.I only had to wait a couple months for groups of ungraded cards. I'd recommend giving him another look with the mess going at PWCC

Interested in 60's and 70's psa and raw star and hof cards
  • Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

That shirt seems a little wide in the middle. Maybe a MC?

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2019 5:50PM

@ElMagoStrikeZone said:

@NGS428 said:

@60sfan said:

@wadevl said:

B)