Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Building a Lincoln Wheat Registry Basic Set (1909-1958)

wheatcentcollectorwheatcentcollector Posts: 97 ✭✭✭
edited January 30, 2021 11:42AM in PCGS Set Registry Forum

Hello,
I’ve decided to start a PCGS Set Registry Basic Lincoln Set from 1909-1958 All with Full RD Designation, There is a total of 140 Total Coins. I’m focusing on the basic set without major varieties because I would never be able to complete it without the highly coveted 1958 DDO, which is virtually unobtainable (only 3 known) On the other hand the 1969-S DDO is also very hard to find and very expensive. I plan on spending more money on key dates rather than common date top pop’s. I don’t see the point in spending a few thousand more dollars when top pop’s are a risky investment, I’m mostly sticking with MS67RD’s for the common dates. I do plan on having a few MS68RD’s, a bunch of MS67+RD’s and mostly MS67RD’s except for the key dates because they get super pricey. Lincoln’s have always been my favorite. My goal is to get quality over quantity. I’m Calling It “The Ruby Red Collection.” So far I’ve got 13 out of the 140 coins needed. I got inspired by Stewart Blay and of course seeing D.L Hansen’s all time finest set to start collecting high quality Lincoln's, and I am up for the challenge to build this set. I will keep posting coins that are added to the set, please feel free to comment your thoughts on any of the coins added or advice on how to make the set better.

Comments

• wheatcentcollectorwheatcentcollector Posts: 97 ✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2019 1:23PM

New Acquisition to “The Ruby Red Collection.”
    PCGS 1942-D MS67+RD CAC

edited July 20, 2019 3:08PM

PCGS 1940 MS67RD (Great Eye Appeal) (Common Date)

edited July 20, 2019 3:08PM

PCGS 1937-D MS67RD (Great Eye Appeal) (Common Date)

edited July 21, 2019 2:32PM

PCGS 1941-S MS67RD (Great Eye Appeal) (Common Date)

• lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭

My comments:
    1) Love the idea - I am a huge Red Lincoln fan
    2) you need to allow your set to be public so we can see it if you want comments
    3) yes the key dates will be pricey, but so will the early D & S mints. The pre-1934 wheats will be challenging at those lofty RD levels. You may have to "settle" for some 66s, 65s and possibly even 64s. I've been lobbying for a 1909-1933 short set for years in the registry with no luck (there is a 1934-1958 set)
    4) Nothing wrong with a nice RB that's 80-90+ red with some color. Sometimes these are preferred over certain "full" reds.
    5) Don't settle for hole fillers. There are lots of crappy teens and 1920's D & S mint "reds" that have no eye appeal.

Looking forward to your progress.

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2019 2:52PM

Great idea, great strategies, great coins shown! Make sure that on the coins you buy, that YOU like the eye appeal of each, even if it’s in the grade you want, even with a CAC! Be patient!
    Happy Hunting!

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
    edited January 30, 2021 11:43AM

Thanks! Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

@lusterlover said:
    My comments:
    1) Love the idea - I am a huge Red Lincoln fan
    2) you need to allow your set to be public so we can see it if you want comments
    3) yes the key dates will be pricey, but so will the early D & S mints. The pre-1934 wheats will be challenging at those lofty RD levels. You may have to "settle" for some 66s, 65s and possibly even 64s. I've been lobbying for a 1909-1933 short set for years in the registry with no luck (there is a 1934-1958 set)
    4) Nothing wrong with a nice RB that's 80-90+ red with some color. Sometimes these are preferred over certain "full" reds.
    5) Don't settle for hole fillers. There are lots of crappy teens and 1920's D & S mint "reds" that have no eye appeal.

Looking forward to your progress.

@winesteven said:
    Great idea, great strategies, great coins shown! Make sure that on the coins you buy, that YOU like the eye appeal of each, even if it’s in the grade you want, even with a CAC! Be patient!
    Happy Hunting!

edited July 20, 2019 3:07PM

PCGS 1958-D MS67RD (Great Eye Appeal) (Common Date)

edited July 20, 2019 3:03PM

PCGS 1957-D MS67RD Lincoln (Common Date)

• New Acquisition to “The Ruby Red Collection.”
    PCGS 1939-S MS67+RD CAC (Common Date)

PCGS 1954-S MS67RD (Common Date)

PCGS 1945-D MS67RD (Common Date)

PCGS 1944-S MS67RD (Common Date)

edited July 20, 2019 4:19PM

PCGS 1945-S MS67RD (Common Date)

edited July 20, 2019 5:07PM

PCGS 1952 MS66RD (Looking To Upgrade to a MS66+ or an MS67)

PCGS 1958 MS66+RD (Common Date) (Looking To Upgrade to an MS67)

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're gonna get stuck pretty quickly when you get back to the 1920s ... unless you've got a mighty big pile of dough laying around. (And I'm glad for you if you do!) Happy collecting!

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great effort and nice coins. You are going to find it very difficult for a few coins that come to mind like a 1918 D , maybe even the 1920 S &D. But go for it. I really gave up because of the astronomical values on some of the coins. Glad I did because along came numerous higher graded examples which sent my MS 66 values to the dumpster. So be prudent.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 65RD the 1926-S is the stopper, although I believe there are at least two now in that grade at PCGS (for a long time there was only one; when I cataloged that one at Heritage maybe 10 years ago, it brought slightly over $150K IIRC). But you can get a nice, decent MS64RD without paying for a new house. But yes as @WaterSport says there are several others that are quite low-pop in Gem Red, e.g. 1924-S with 10 in 65RD at PCGS.

Good luck!

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

As you build your set don’t be afraid to buy a few lower grades if the holder is old the color is right and the price. If you look you can still find under-graded coins and have them reconsidered. Best of luck.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

edited January 30, 2021 11:43AM

@giorgio11 said:
    In 65RD the 1926-S is the stopper, although I believe there are at least two now in that grade at PCGS (for a long time there was only one; when I cataloged that one at Heritage maybe 10 years ago, it brought slightly over $150K IIRC). But you can get a nice, decent MS64RD without paying for a new house. But yes as @WaterSport says there are several others that are quite low-pop in Gem Red, e.g. 1924-S with 10 in 65RD at PCGS.

Good luck!

Kind regards,

George

1926-S In MS64RD is quite reasonable between 3k-5k. Thanks for your time.

edited July 21, 2019 5:18PM

PCGS 1944-D MS67RD (Common Date)

edited July 21, 2019 5:14PM

PCGS 1938-D MS67RD (ex: Sunset Collection) (Common Date)
    Just won this off GreatCollections:

Congratulations! Gorgeous coin!

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Your coins and pictures appear superb. Well done.

• JGDcoinsJGDcoins Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

Nice job so far. Building a BN set myself. The early branch mint teen and 20s Wheats are going to be fun

edited January 30, 2021 11:44AM

@JGDcoins said:
    Nice job so far. Building a BN set myself. The early branch mint teen and 20s Wheats are going to be fun

@PQueue said:

Thanks so much for your awesome feedback! I will be adding a lot more Lincoln’s very soon at a fast pace, stay tuned in to this post frequently to get updated on the latest additions to “The Ruby Red Collection.”

edited January 30, 2021 11:44AM

@winesteven said:

My bad for not quoting you as well.

@wheatcentcollector said:

@winesteven said:

My bad for not quoting you as well.

-Skylar

Absolutely no apologies necessary. I believe your set has to be in top 5 to do what you want done.

PCGS 1942-S MS67RD (Common Date) (Great Eye Appeal)

edited January 30, 2021 11:45AM

@JGDcoins said:

@PQueue said:

Thanks so much for your awesome feedback! I will be adding a lot more Lincoln’s very soon at a fast pace, stay tuned in to this post frequently to get updated on the latest additions to “The Ruby Red Collection.” One more thing should I get the coins labeled with the collection on the slab?

-Skylar

Quick Note:

When I said buying quickly I meant much more short term (1-2 weeks) of course I will be careful before I buying anything.

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you stated getting your collection labeled on the slab, I am assuming you are referring to getting your set pedigreed. Here are PCGS requirements for getting a set pedigreed.

If you participate in the PCGS Set Registry program your set may qualify for the pedigree service. The PCGS Set Registry pedigree service policy is as follows:

The set must be 100% complete.
    The set must be ranked in the top 5 in the Registry.
    PCGS does not pedigree modern Mint and Proof sets (1965-present), Everyman Collections or Low Ball sets.
    Sets with less than 10 coins may be pedigreed if warranted. The decision will be that of the PCGS experts.
    There is no charge for the pedigree, however there is a $12 per coin fee to Reholder each coin that will be pedigreed. For an additional $5 per coin, Gold Shield service, which includes TrueView images, can be added to the Reholdering of your collection. If you would like Gold Shield service, you must check the “Gold Shield” box on the PCGS submission form. Coins valued above $3,000 per coin require Gold Shield service.
    After your initial pedigree, if you upgrade coins from your set and would like the upgraded coin pedigreed, the Reholder fee of $12 per coin will apply for each coin that is Reholdered. PCGS will not pedigree duplicate coins. You must submit both the upgraded coin and the coin it will be replacing. The coin that will no longer remain in your set will be reholdered without the pedigree and returned to you along with the newly pedigreed coin. ($12 to Reholder the coin with the new pedigree and $12 to Reholder the coin that the pedigree is being removed from, 2 X $12 = $24). Your set must remain 100% complete and in the top five to qualify.
    Shipping and Handling is in addition to the Reholder fee and is based on the total quantity of coins submitted and the overall value of your submission. Return Shipping Fees can be found on the reverse of the most recent PCGS Submission Form. The Handling fee is $10 per order.

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

It took me almost 20 years to complete my set. My goal was 100% red, MS65-67, all PCGS, but it was hampered by two problems: the availability of eye appealing coins in the early years (especially the branch mint teens and 20's) and the insane prices for the toughest ones.

I was patient and careful but had to settle for a dozen or so RB's, and some 64RD's. All in all it was fun and a great learning experience. But the cost was truly ghastly.

The 1930's on is easy. I suggest you take a hard look at the price guide for the tough coins and consider whether your collecting goal of gem red and higher is doable. You're looking at 1/4 $million, easily.

Have fun and good luck!
    Lance.

edited January 30, 2021 11:46AM

@lkeigwin said:
    It took me almost 20 years to complete my set. My goal was 100% red, MS65-67, all PCGS, but it was hampered by two problems: the availability of eye appealing coins in the early years (especially the branch mint teens and 20's) and the insane prices for the toughest ones.

I was patient and careful but had to settle for a dozen or so RB's, and some 64RD's. All in all it was fun and a great learning experience. But the cost was truly ghastly.

The 1930's on is easy. I suggest you take a hard look at the price guide for the tough coins and consider whether your collecting goal of gem red and higher is doable. You're looking at 1/4 $million, easily.

Have fun and good luck!
    Lance.

I have some money set aside for the set from my full time job. I plan on having a lowest grade of MS62RD for the tough dates and early teens especially. I am ready for the challenge of assembling this set. I am excited to be able to share each and every coin added to the set on this forum. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

edited July 25, 2019 7:22PM

PCGS 1940-D MS67RD (Common Date) (Great Eye Appeal) Picked this one because of the originality. I compare this to the look of some early teens in 67RD, especially from the Jerald. L. Martin Collection that was sold in January of this year through Heritage Auctions. This coin reminds me of the original color that was presented in that set even though this is not a rare date.

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2019 7:32PM

You’ve posted some great coins and your passion is obvious. My advice is to slow down. There are big quality differences even in MS67RD. You could complete half the set in a month if all you care about is the grade. Look at the coins in hand and do some homework. The 38-D has a pop of 457. I bet you could find one without a carbon spot on the ear.

Also, you can save some keystrokes and just list the coins (although it would also be great to know why you picked each one).

Good luck!

• @david3142 said:
    You’ve posted some great coins and your passion is obvious. My advice is to slow down. There are big quality differences even in MS67RD. You could complete half the set in a month if all you care about is the grade. Look at the coins in hand and do some homework. The 38-D has a pop of 457. I bet you could find one without a carbon spot on the ear.

Also, you can save some keystrokes and just list the coins (although it would also be great to know why you picked it).

Good luck!

I Just returned the 38-D to GreatCollections, I’m going to be more aware of looking for coins for the set. Im going to be attaining more coins in person rather then buying through the Internet, I find that seeing a coin in hand is more important then scrolling through eBay and GC. When you get a chance take a look at the 1940-D post, I updated the description to explain why I bought the coin for the set.

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome. It’s great to hear collectors explain their choices. I like your 40-D a lot.

edited January 30, 2021 11:47AM

Hello

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:

Have fun and good luck!
    Lance.

I have some money set aside for the set from my full time job. I plan on having a lowest grade of MS62RD for the tough dates and early teens especially. I am ready for the challenge of assembling this set. I am excited to be able to share each and every coin added to the set on this forum. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Skylar

Love red Lincoln Wheat Cents in high grade... but you should really think about seeking out coins in MS62RD or MS63RD condition... look at lots of them first, usually they look awful, otherwise they would have graded higher. Often you can find a nice MS63RB or MS64RB with tons of original red that looks miles better for the same price or less as the ugly coin with the RD designation.

That said, it's your collection so you are ultimately the one that needs to be happy with your coins :) Best of luck to you!

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have u booked marked if I find something i'll say something in a post. Or just check in as you did. Cool.
    Very nice to meet and talk with u. David
    I got your style?

PCGS 1937 MS67RD Lincoln
    Chose this coin because I didn’t think it was worth it to pay a few hundred dollars more to get a 67+RD. I also think the eye appeal is pretty decent on this piece.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a long time Lincoln collector myself I say awesome choice to collect and I've bookmarked your thread to follow the progress. I will echo what another poster said on quality as I have noticed that a few of the coins you have purchased seem to have some carbon spotting in the pics (although it may be less obvious in hand). As so far you have been picking up the common dates the costs have been minimal, but its very important to not loose sight of what the coin looks like and only focus on the label. Those coins may disappoint when it comes time to sell down the road.

Overall some very nice coins in the set and I will enjoy watching your progress; best of luck on the journey.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
    edited January 30, 2021 11:47AM

@coinbuf said:
    As a long time Lincoln collector myself I say awesome choice to collect and I've bookmarked your thread to follow the progress. I will echo what another poster said on quality as I have noticed that a few of the coins you have purchased seem to have some carbon spotting in the pics (although it may be less obvious in hand). As so far you have been picking up the common dates the costs have been minimal, but its very important to not loose sight of what the coin looks like and only focus on the label. Those coins may disappoint when it comes time to sell down the road.

Overall some very nice coins in the set and I will enjoy watching your progress; best of luck on the journey.

PCGS 1946-S MS67RD (Common Date) (Great Eye Appeal) I chose this coin because of the great luster and no distracting marks.

• hbarbeehbarbee Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

I am very impressed by what you have accomplished so far. Just curious based on your user name and the funds required to achieve your goals, are you perhaps related to Walter White? :)

edited January 30, 2021 11:48AM

@hbarbee said:
    I am very impressed by what you have accomplished so far. Just curious based on your user name and the funds required to achieve your goals, are you perhaps related to Walter White? :)

No, unfortunately I don’t have 80 million dollars to spend on coins from illegal drug money. I can imagine how much Stewart Blay and Peter Miller spent on Lincoln’s, definitely in the millions and Jack Lee with his Morgan’s, Peace and Lincoln’s must have spent upwards of 10 Million+ for both of his All Time Morgan Sets Alone.

edited August 1, 2019 7:45PM

PCGS 1942 MS67RD (Common Date) (Great Eye Appeal)
    I chose this coin because the rim toning and the great luster.

edited August 1, 2019 7:54PM

@wheatcentcollector - You’ve started putting together not only a beautiful set, but I believe you’ll agree, a set that down the road will also be truly special. With that in mind, I suggest you give some thought to the following:

While all of the coins in your set are undoubtedly gorgeous, many of them have cost you around $100+ or so. Using your 1937 MS67RD as an example, with more patience, you could obtain that 1937 example as MS67+RD, at a cost of only around $300+ or so. Yes, that’s triple the cost, but only around $200 or so more. Pops change almost every day, but as of now, there are 513 graded MS67RD, but only 30 as MS67+RD.

Perhaps for your overall goal of this set, since you’re only 24 years old, a bit more patience can help ensure your set will indeed be so very special down the road. Just something to think about.