Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Building a Lincoln Wheat Registry Basic Set (1909-1958)

Comments

• Options
    wheatcentcollectorwheatcentcollector Posts: 97 ✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2021 11:48AM

@winesteven said:
    @wheatcentcollector - You’ve started putting together not only a beautiful set, but I believe you’ll agree, a set that down the road will also be truly special. With that in mind, I suggest you give some thought to the following:

While all of the coins in your set are undoubtedly gorgeous, many of them have cost you around $100+ or so. Using your 1937 MS67RD as an example, with more patience, you could obtain that 1937 example as MS67+RD, at a cost of only around $300+ or so. Yes, that’s triple the cost, but only around $200 or so more. Pops change almost every day, but as of now, there are 513 graded MS67RD, but only 30 as MS67+RD.

Perhaps for your overall goal of this set, since you’re only 24 years old, a bit more patience can help ensure your set will indeed be so very special down the road. Just something to think about.

I have my eye on about 15 specific dates to get in MS67+RD for my set. I also am considering an MS68RD for down the road. I am going to be patient with this set until I find the exact coins that I want.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrific!

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

I wish the wheats had their own date set because I don't want to attempt the full wheat set with the heavyweight coins. The '09 S VDB and the '14 D will command a kings ransom in RD, and to me, anything less than MS64 in RD is not a pretty coin. MS64 is borderline for me..

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options

@winesteven said:
    @wheatcentcollector - You’ve started putting together not only a beautiful set, but I believe you’ll agree, a set that down the road will also be truly special. With that in mind, I suggest you give some thought to the following:

While all of the coins in your set are undoubtedly gorgeous, many of them have cost you around $100+ or so. Using your 1937 MS67RD as an example, with more patience, you could obtain that 1937 example as MS67+RD, at a cost of only around $300+ or so. Yes, that’s triple the cost, but only around $200 or so more. Pops change almost every day, but as of now, there are 513 graded MS67RD, but only 30 as MS67+RD.

The bold is why I'm scoping out 67+. I'm doing the full Lincoln date set, and anything after 1930 in 66 or less is just about a waste of a few bucks. A few years ago I bought a 1937 MS66RD and the thing drives me crazy. I will replace it as the value is pretty low. My local coin dealer wouldn't even buy it from me.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

• Options
    edited August 4, 2019 11:48AM

@BBN said:

@winesteven said:

The bold is why I'm scoping out 67+. I'm doing the full Lincoln date set, and anything after 1930 in 66 or less is just about a waste of a few bucks. A few years ago I bought a 1937 MS66RD and the thing drives me crazy. I will replace it as the value is pretty low. My local coin dealer wouldn't even buy it from me.

@BBN - I agree. To me, it's always clear to be patient and wait for an attractive one with the "+" when the price differential is only a couple hundred dollars or so, especially if it's going to cost many thousands going to the next whole grade number (MS68). The MS67+ is really at the sweet spot!
    Winesteven

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BBN said:

@winesteven said:

I could use a 37 in 66RD for my album. How much do you want for it?

@BBN As for there not being a wheat date set - you can collect anything you want. Like you, I’m hoping they add one to the Registry shortly. I am currently trying to assemble one for toned coins and it sure does have a lot of holes listed under the full set.

• Options

@david3142 said:

@BBN said:

@winesteven said:

I could use a 37 in 66RD for my album. How much do you want for it?

@BBN As for there not being a wheat date set - you can collect anything you want. Like you, I’m hoping they add one to the Registry shortly. I am currently trying to assemble one for toned coins and it sure does have a lot of holes listed under the full set.

Hey, if you want it I can do $39. That covers shipping too, or if you don't like that price PM me a counter offer

• Options
    edited August 5, 2019 12:58PM

@winesteven said:

@BBN said:

@winesteven said:

@BBN - I agree. To me, it's always clear to be patient and wait for an attractive one with the "+" when the price differential is only a couple hundred dollars or so, especially if it's going to cost many thousands going to the next whole grade number (MS68). The MS67+ is really at the sweet spot!
    Winesteven

Agreed. The difference in price between 67+ and 68 is drastic. I have a few in 67+ and they are phenomenal coins.

• Options
    edited January 30, 2021 11:49AM

I have my eye on a 1934 MS68RD example for my registry set.

• Options

Skylar - Sounds good. Make sure it's within your budget, but most importantly, make sure it's problem free and YOU really like the eye appeal! That's the key! Happy Hunting!

• Options

New Acquisition to “The Ruby Red Collection.”
    PCGS 1945-S MS67RD (Great Eye Appeal) (Common Date) Great chance for an upgrade.

• Options
    edited August 6, 2019 1:47AM

Skylar, a very lovely beautiful coin, relatively inexpensive (probably about $45-$75 or so), but there are 945 in that grade. As you note, perhaps you can have success in getting it bumped up to a 67+ by sending it in for Reconsideration. However, if that doesn’t work, you might want to think about buying one of the 51 that already have the plus (but only if YOU also like the eye appeal). In 2019 alone, Heritage has had four in auction that sold from only $288 - $408 including the buyers premium, and GC had one for $377 including the BP. By the way, not that it’s needed, but all of the four sold by Heritage at those prices happened to each have a CAC (but not the one at GC). Having coins in that slightly higher grade can still be affordable, yet is really what is needed to eventually make your beautiful set even more special, with or without the CAC (like you did with your 1939-S and 1942-D). There are none (1945-S) presently graded by PCGS any higher than MS67+RD, so if you get one of the 51 graded MS67+RD, it would be tied for the top pop (at least for now)! Not bad for $350-$410 or so.

Just my two cents worth.
    Steve

• Options
    edited January 30, 2021 11:49AM

Im sending in the 45-S for reconsideration. I believe it has a chance to upgrade.

• Options

I think you may be right. If not, read above.

Happy Hunting!

• Options

Just sent a request for Lincoln Wheat Circulated Date Set fingers crossed :)

• Options

@BBN said:

Good luck - I hope you succeed. Not that it really matters, but at least from a psychological view, it will enable many to "complete" a set, where otherwise that would not be financially possible, especially in the higher grades.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2019 12:57PM

I didn’t read All the post
    I strongly recommend Angel Dees
    You can’t go wrong and the coins are top shelf

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    edited August 19, 2019 7:57PM

PCGS 1940-S MS67RD (Common Date) (Great Luster)

• Options
    edited August 8, 2019 9:01AM

Another gorgeous coin, but once again, to make your set even more special, 67+ is the way to go. This year alone, CoinFacts shows the last five 67+RD sales went for $216-$370, AND every one of those five had a CAC to boot. As you know, in my opinion, getting a lovely 67+RD that you like, with a CAC, for only a slightly higher cost than 67RD (and without a CAC), is a better way to build your special set.

• Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:
    Another gorgeous coin, but once again, to make your set even more special, 67+ is the way to go. This year alone, CoinFacts shows the last five 67+RD sales went for $216-$370, AND every one of those five had a CAC to boot. As you know, in my opinion, getting a lovely 67+RD that you like, with a CAC, for only a slightly higher cost than 67RD (and without a CAC), is a better way to build your special set.

There are a lot of 67+ out there which look just as good as 67's. I like he 40-S (above) for the cool long die crack on Lincoln's bust. Meanwhile, I think 68's are the way to go. Obviously many are unaffordable unfortunately. I think if you are going to have a 67+ set, you should at least have one 68.

• Options

@ilikemonsters said:

@winesteven said:

There are a lot of 67+ out there which look just as good as 67's. I like he 40-S (above) for the cool long die crack on Lincoln's bust. Meanwhile, I think 68's are the way to go. Obviously many are unaffordable unfortunately. I think if you are going to have a 67+ set, you should at least have one 68.

I believe Skyler plans on obtaining at least one of the 68’s that are affordable. However, most of them are not. Up until now, he’s been getting mainly 67RD’s (gorgeous), even when 67+RD is only a couple hundred dollars more.

• Options
    edited August 11, 2019 5:22AM

PCGS 1939 MS67RD (Common Date) (Great Luster) I chose this coin because of the amazingly clean fields, even though there are 488 examples, I wasn’t gonna spend the extra money to get an MS67+RD.

• Options

Gorgeous coin.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stunning 1940!! I wish they all had that look.

• Options

PCGS 1941 MS67RD (Common Date) (Great Luster!) (Clean Fields)

• Options
    edited August 20, 2019 5:40PM

Glad I got this key to the date set but not overly thrilled with the color. I'm kind of surprised it didn't go RB. MS66RD

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2019 12:10PM

You are one of many brave collectors. I love copper but I stopped collecting "Full Red" copper long ago because over time, many coins became spotted. :(

PS Breathtaking coin!

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    You are one of many brave collectors. I love copper but I stopped collecting "Full Red" copper long ago because over time, many coins became spotted. :(

PS Breathtaking coin!

@Insider2 - I recognize and respect your expertise. What advice can you give to @wheatcentcollector (and me) to minimize or slow down the spotting? I’m just starting my own Lincoln Wheat Cent collection of Red Cents. I also have very high grade Indians, Flying Eagle, Half Cents, and Large Cents in my high end type set. I keep it all in an area that is cool, dry, without sunlight, and a dessicator close by. Any other tips for keeping these coins?

Thanks

• Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:

@Insider2 said:

PS Breathtaking coin!

@Insider2 - I recognize and respect your expertise. What advice can you give to @wheatcentcollector (and me) to minimize or slow down the spotting? I’m just starting my own Lincoln Wheat Cent collection of Red Cents. I also have very high grade Indians, Flying Eagle, Half Cents, and Large Cents in my high end type set. I keep it all in an area that is cool, dry, without sunlight, and a dessicator close by. Any other tips for keeping these coins?

Thanks

Not to derail the OP thread with this the Q&A, but I am a 40 year RD and RB copper collector and have never had a coin "turn" on me and I do nothing special with my slabs. No offense or disrespect to Insider or anyone else, but from what I've garnered over the years in the collecting circles, the coins that turned were usually ones that had been messed with at some point in the past. Of course there are exceptions, but I (and many others based upon prices realized) am not afraid of RD and RB copper. JMHO. Keep up the good work Wheatcent!

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks for sharing Nice start

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

All MS68RD Lincoln’s (Population And Price Guide Value)

1909 VDB POP 2/0 $27,500

1911 POP 1/0 $40,000

1917 POP 2/0 $32,000

1918 POP 1/0 $55,000

1919 POP 17/1 $18,000

1921 4/0 $35,000

1923 2/0 $25,000

1925 1/0 $45,000

1934 28/0 $3,000

1935 12/1 $6,000

1937 2/0 $7,250

1937-D 3/0 $10,000

1938 1/0 $15,000

1938-D 1/0 $11,500

1939 5/0 $7,500

1940 5/0 $8,500

1940-D 1/0 $10,000

1940-S 2/0 $10,000

1941 1/0 $9,500

1942-D 4/0 $8,000

1942-S 2/0 $10,500

1944 3/0 $13,000

1945-D 1/0 $15,500

1955-S 1/0 $10,000

• Options
    edited August 23, 2019 5:55AM

That's why 67+ is often an excellent "value", particularly if it's got great color, great luster, no carbon spots, and is accompanied by a CAC sticker! A nice weekend to all.

Steve

• Options
    edited August 23, 2019 9:37AM

@BBN said:

UPDATE

It was approved! Ya-hoo! :) Come join the fun! I guess I should be happy I was in the top 2 for at least a few days. LOL

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/half-cents/lincoln-cents-major-sets/lincoln-cents-date-set-circulation-strikes-1909-1958/7409

• Options
    edited August 23, 2019 9:31AM

@wheatcentcollector said:

1919 POP 17/1 $18,000

HOLEY MOLEY! Who's got that 69RD? :o

*edit
    PCGS's "what if" has the value listed at $67k. I'm curious how this would go in auction if it were advertsed and mentioned as a 1/0

• Options

@BBN said:

@BBN said:

UPDATE

It was approved! Ya-hoo! :) Come join the fun! I guess I should be happy I was in the top 2 for at least a few days. LOL

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/half-cents/lincoln-cents-major-sets/lincoln-cents-date-set-circulation-strikes-1909-1958/7409

Thanks so VERY much. You've saved me tens of thousands of dollars, as I'm just starting my Lincoln Cent collection, and this is the direction I will take!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I owe you lunch!!!!! Will you be attending FUN in Orlando in January?

• Options
    edited January 30, 2021 11:51AM

@BBN said:

1919 POP 17/1 $18,000

HOLEY MOLEY! Who's got that 69RD? :o

*edit
    PCGS's "what if" has the value listed at $67k. I'm curious how this would go in auction if it were advertsed and mentioned as a 1/0

The 1919 MS69RD is owned by Stewart Blay, the #2 all time finest registry set, only behind D.L. Hansen.
    Stewart Blay is known for his Copper Collections.
    He owns the finest Lincoln’s in the market. If ever put up at auction it should get up to 100k-125k.

• Options

The 1919 MS69RD is owned by Stewart Blay, the #2 all time finest registry set, only behind D.L. Hansen.
    Stewart Blay is known for his Copper Collections.
    He owns the finest Lincoln’s in the market. If ever put up at auction it should get up to 100k-125k.

-Skylar

Wow, that is awesome! Thank you for sharing that!

• Options
    edited August 23, 2019 3:39PM

@winesteven said:

Thanks so VERY much. You've saved me tens of thousands of dollars, as I'm just starting my Lincoln Cent collection, and this is the direction I will take!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I owe you lunch!!!!! Will you be attending FUN in Orlando in January?

You're welcome! Which set is yours? It'll be nice to communicate with fellow collectors of a certain registry set. Fun competition and general discussion.

EDIT*
    Never mind. I see you there. I'd love to see it build up. I'm like you. I want a set of wheats but don't have the patience or money to build the entire set so the date set is perfect.

• Options

@BBN - Yes, I'm #5, with my ONE Wheat Cent (1943-D MS67+ w/CAC) from my main 20th Century Type Set - LOL. Now that "only" 50 coins in total are needed, my guess is this set will take me about 1 - 2 years to complete. Again, since "only" 50 coins are needed, I can now afford to spend a bit more per coin, so I'll be shooting for a lot of "almost" high grades (NOT 68's, as those are out of my budget). As others find out about this new set, it's only a matter of time before I drop to #300 and lower (that's OK).
    Have a nice weekend!
    Steve

• Options
    edited August 23, 2019 3:57PM

As I'm getting further into this set the more I'm getting frustrated with my earliest purchases. Many buys that I could have gotten a half point or even a full point higher for just $200-500 more. My 1957 I just got impatient. I'm learning to slow down and enjoy the ride.

• Options
    edited August 23, 2019 4:03PM

@BBN - VERY key point! While many 67's go for roughly $100, for $200-$400 total per coin you can find many 67+'s WITH CAC's! That's the direction I'll be taking, and it sounds like you've realized that's the way to go for many people, especially now that only 50 coins in total are needed, AND we can now select the mint with the lowest cost per date!!!!!
    Have a nice weekend.
    Steve

• Options

@winesteven said:
    @BBN - Yes, I'm #5, with my ONE Wheat Cent (1943-D MS67+ w/CAC) from my main 20th Century Type Set - LOL. Now that "only" 50 coins in total are needed, my guess is this set will take me about 1 - 2 years to complete. Again, since "only" 50 coins are needed, I can now afford to spend a bit more per coin, so I'll be shooting for a lot of "almost" high grades (NOT 68's, as those are out of my budget). As others find out about this new set, it's only a matter of time before I drop to #300 and lower (that's OK).
    Have a nice weekend!
    Steve

You have a great weekend too! Mine set is "Sweet Wheats." LOL

• Options

I've never used a "name" before for any of my Registry Sets (except for one), but @wheatcentcollector had the excellent suggestion of naming a set. As such, at least for now, I'm calling mine "Not My Last Red Cent" Collection, knowing I can change it down the road.
    Happy Hunting!

• Options

PCGS 1955-S MS67RD (Common Date) (Great Luster!) (Clean Fields)
    Just won this off GreatCollections.

• Options
    edited January 30, 2021 11:51AM

Upgrade to “The Ruby Red Collection”
    1940 was upgraded from a MS67RD to an MS67+RD, I sent it in to regrade and it came back as a plus.
    Upgraded slab photos will be up soon. Regrade does give a different cert number.

• Options
    edited November 1, 2019 12:00PM

@BBN said:

@BBN said:

UPDATE

Well, DL Hansen came in and has probably locked down the #1 spot forever. :D It's all good. Cool to be collecting a same category as him. His collection is mind blowing. On a positive now we're up to 30 people in the set now. Glad to see it taking off so fast! B)

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I started the set today with our current inventory (some of it long-term holdings, though, and most of them toned BN or RB). #11!

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options

I'm still trailing the pack at #28, with only six coins. I'm slowly adding to this set, so one day I'll be up with you guys/gals!